Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
I remember reading that the prop department in Star Trek TNG had thought they had designed the PADD’s such that nothing like that would see widespread use anytime soon. This iPad isn’t a prop, is actually functional and likely thinner than what they were using on TNG :D
What I love about the TNG PADDs is when they show someone who is swamped with work, they'll be carrying stacks of the friggin' things. Like, they went out of their way to design something that would be instantly recognizable as "the future" and yet the couldn't (or wouldn't) imagine actually using them any differently than an armful of books.

Look at this 24th Century Desk, lol. Books would actually be easier to deal with, compared to 14 iPads.

2016-09-12-star-trek-padd.jpg

Last edited:

roar08

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
No doubt the new iPad Pro models will be subjected to exaggerated pressure tests by some YouTubers, and we are bound to see more than a few bent out of shape in the process.

We might see some iPads bent out of shape too.

Reactions: ric22

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
No iPad has yet bent by itself. So there's only one person you can get mad at if your iPad suddenly doesn't look quite straight anymore :)
bad logic, thats like saying no ford pinto blowup itself.

• Disagree
Reactions: SpringKid

applefan8254

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2023
can we get:

-multiple user profiles

-apple watch: activate, manage and sync apple watch from iPad

Last edited:

netsped

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2008
If JerryRigsEverything or similar guys bend it and crack it, that's meaningless. We know they will, but nobody uses it that way normally.

I doubt there is going to be a widespread issue. Apple tested it rigorously I am sure.

My 4th Gen iPad Air bent just by carrying it on my backpack inside its Smart Folio, it's not unusable or cracked but it's bent nonetheless.

Reactions: ric22

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
I would be a bit concerned carrying an M4 iPad Pro 13” in a backpack or briefcase, if it were by itself and you had a lot of odd-shaped and/or heavy items packed in the same bag. I’ve worried a few times over the years when I’ve flown with my 12.9” iPP’s where I wasn’t using a Magic Keyboard, and just had it with a folio cover. But even stuffing my backpack or shoulder bag under the seat in front of me hasn’t resulted in any bends. At one point I had even thought about designing and making a carbon fiber shell to hold the iPP, just to ensure it wouldn’t get bent, but after flying all over the world, neither of my iPP’s were bent and both are still being used today. I’m definitely getting another Magic Keyboard for the M4 iPP 13”, both for protection and my daily work use.

Cirillo Gherardo

macrumors regular
May 9, 2024
Do people not understand that one of the reasons Apple puts so much effort into making them thin and light is that it's inevitable that they need to be put in a case? The thinner they start, the thinner they are after putting a case on them. That's literally built in to the design. None of these products (iPhone, iPad) are intended to be used without a protective case of some sort.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
"Is there a chance the iPad could bend?"

View attachment 2377988

But seriously, this is not something I'm particularly concerned about. Has "bending" even really been a concern since the 2014 controversy?
*chefs kiss*

This is one of those “controversies” that I have no sympathy for, like people who sit on their phone in their back pocket and get mad about it.

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
All I have to offer is an opinion is this: owner of iphone 3g, and gen2 ipad....they were both sturdy devices, felt EXCELLENT in the hand to use, and nobody reported bending issues. Nobody complained that they were overly thick.

Think about this for a moment...
Man, could take this a lot of different ways.

Anyway, I think this is the 1st time post-Ives Apple has touted "thinness."

Sort of makes me nervous.

Apple products improved when Ives left and they stopped marketing the thickness of the devices. See, Pro, MacBook

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
*chefs kiss*

This is one of those “controversies” that I have no sympathy for, like people who sit on their phone in their back pocket and get mad about it.
Mine bent from reading it with one hand. I held it from the bottom with one hand--the top was heavier, so over time it leaned and...bent.

Is that my fault? Was I misusing or abusing my device?

I guess I should give myself fifty lashes for daring to read a book one handed!

So much nastiness in this forum.

makeitrainnaren

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2020
I used to work at a non apple repair shop. This so called "cowling" has been over the logic board on every gen of iPad since 2018. I'm assuming making it copper does allow less flex but them claiming it's a redesign is a huge stretch.

• Wow
Reactions: zapmymac

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Never mind the 'official' bendgate affecting the 2018 Pro from new, I've seen many iPad's visibly bent just from carrying them around in a backpack. Sure, some people will say that this isn't looking after them properly, but I think it's reasonable to have some expectation of resilience to normal and predictable daily usage scenarios.
I do not consider tossing an iPad into a backpack to be a reasonable way to treat a large device like that. Unless that backpack has a reinforced "laptop" slot that provides some bending resistance or you put it into a reinforced sleeve, you are just asking for trouble. Backpacks are not structurally rigid and tend to bend on their own. Why would you think that provides protection for an iPad.

Do you put your phone in a pocket with keys and random junk and complain that the screen gets scratched?

I've got a 2018 iPad Pro and it has never bent. It's not hard to take care of it.

applefan8254

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2023
Do people not understand that one of the reasons Apple puts so much effort into making them thin and light is that it's inevitable that they need to be put in a case? The thinner they start, the thinner they are after putting a case on them. That's literally built in to the design. None of these products (iPhone, iPad) are intended to be used without a protective case of some sort.
Agreed. Also makes it more natural to do handwriting / handwritten notes, sketching etc

AgeOfSpiracles

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2020
That's a fine opinion, with a certain logic to it, but I don't think Apple has ever stated any such thing. If I'm wrong, I'd love to be corrected.

applefan8254

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2023
I would be a bit concerned carrying an M4 iPad Pro 13” in a backpack or briefcase, if it were by itself and you had a lot of odd-shaped and/or heavy items packed in the same bag. I’ve worried a few times over the years when I’ve flown with my 12.9” iPP’s where I wasn’t using a Magic Keyboard, and just had it with a folio cover. But even stuffing my backpack or shoulder bag under the seat in front of me hasn’t resulted in any bends. At one point I had even thought about designing and making a carbon fiber shell to hold the iPP, just to ensure it wouldn’t get bent, but after flying all over the world, neither of my iPP’s were bent and both are still being used today. I’m definitely getting another Magic Keyboard for the M4 iPP 13”, both for protection and my daily work use.
As another commenter mentioned, theres a need for a backpack or briefcase with a reinforced "tablet area" that's stiff enough to withstand things like this

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Mine bent from reading it with one hand. I held it from the bottom with one hand--the top was heavier, so over time it leaned and...bent.

Is that my fault? Was I misusing or abusing my device?

I guess I should give myself fifty lashes for daring to read a book one handed!

So much nastiness in this forum.
I’m some guy on the internet, I never said you should be “punished”, I just don’t believe you and have no reason to care beyond that 🤷‍♂️

I did customer service long enough to know that everyone has a story about how much they babied their devices, and the vast majority are just liars trying to protect themselves or scam you.

There is no way holding the device bent it. It either was bent from the factory with the defect that Apple stated, or you bent it at some point without realizing it. Either way it’s not my problem years after the fact.

Reactions: AgeOfSpiracles

MacMikePro

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2009
Orlando, FL
This might be a dumb question as the answer could possibly be very obvious, but why would they not design these new iPad Pros to be made out of titanium? Is it just a cost thing? You'd think with the desire to go as thin as possible, but also as strong as possible, they would go the route of the iPhone Pro and Apple Watch Ultra.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68040
As another commenter mentioned, theres a need for a backpack or briefcase with a reinforced "tablet area" that's stiff enough to withstand things like this
Agreed. I have a couple of small zippered padded iPad pouches, which are great for protecting against drops, but they offer zero defense against bends. It’s why I had originally considered making a CF shell for bend / impact protection. There have been so many times when I stuff my backpack under and airplane seat and the iPad is just barely fitting in the space. I typically then pull it out right away and just keep it on my lap or in the seat pocket for the flight so it’s safe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.