Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Given the undeniable feature (if not entirely code) fork of iPadOS from iOS, what do you want to see in iPadOS 14?

For me, now that Apple has released the Magic Keyboard, I'd love to see a virtual Touch Bar at the bottom of the screen. This would resemble more the Touch Bar on the MBPs, and would expand upon the limited functions now available at the bottom the screen on some apps (word correction, cut/paste, etc...).

My thinking is that they didn't ship the Magic Keyboard with function keys/escape key, because they didn't need to. This allowed them to ship with much larger physical keys, esp on the 11" model.

Think about Better Touch Tool for the iPad. Can't wait!!

What about all of you? Remember ==> iPad features here, not generic iOS features.

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I posted this in a similar thread in the iPad subforum, but why not...

I‘m so happy that native mouse and trackpad support was added in an iOS 13 release. That was my biggest need for the iPad.

Now that that’s added, the next biggest thing I need on iPadOS is for the iPhone-only native apps to get iPad versions as well, or at least for us to be able to use iPhone sized versions in a small floating window, or something.
In particular, Weather, Phone, Health, Activity, Wallet, and Calculator are all badly needed.

I think Weather will be added soon-ish because of Apple’s recent acquisition of Dark Sky. Phone would be extremely useful for wifi calling, and now that I’m working from home I find that I‘m making and accepting phone calls on my iPad constantly. However, having an app with a native dialer and, hopefully, voicemail access (maybe via iCloud) would be SO handy. Health and Activity should be on the iPad, because I think it’s important for users to be able to access their own data from their own devices, and the data already syncs/is stored in iCloud anyway, so we only need an interface to view it. Obviously, with Wallet, we can’t use NFC, bu now that I have my Apple Card it would be super useful to be able to have a normal Wallet app to manage it without having to go into Settings. Finally, Calculator...that one‘s very obvious. :p

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013

I‘m so happy that native mouse and trackpad support was added in an iOS 13 release. That was my biggest need for the iPad.

Now that that’s added, the next biggest thing I need on iPadOS is for the iPhone-only native apps to get iPad versions as well, or at least for us to be able to use iPhone sized versions in a small floating window, or something.
In particular, Weather, Phone, Health, Activity, Wallet, and Calculator are all badly needed.

I think Weather will be added soon-ish because of Apple’s recent acquisition of Dark Sky. Phone would be extremely useful for wifi calling, and now that I’m working from home I find that I‘m making and accepting phone calls on my iPad constantly. However, having an app with a native dialer and, hopefully, voicemail access (maybe via iCloud) would be SO handy. Health and Activity should be on the iPad, because I think it’s important for users to be able to access their own data from their own devices, and the data already syncs/is stored in iCloud anyway, so we only need an interface to view it. Obviously, with Wallet, we can’t use NFC, bu now that I have my Apple Card it would be super useful to be able to have a normal Wallet app to manage it without having to go into Settings. Finally, Calculator...that one‘s very obvious. :p

Thanks for posting here too. Not sure I’ve ever been to the iPad sub forum.

Good adds

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
How about improving and fine-tuning text editing? The way multitasking is handled also needs major improvements. And editing music infos in the "Music" App and adding own Music? Yes, please.

Reactions: nortonandreev

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I'd like multitasking to be improved with app 'snippets', you could call them, sitting at the bottom of the screen. Especially for things like chat/communication apps. Similar to when you are drafting an email and minimise it to the bottom of the screen... essentially a small bar which shows important information you're missing while it's in the background, allowing you to quickly switch in to it, respond, and back out again.

Reactions: gwhizkids

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany

Great ideas!

I compiled a similar list a while ago that'd get me to invest in an iPad:
Disclaimer: I don't own an iPad myself (only people in my household do) because I believe the iPad should be a proper multi-user device (as it stands, my gf could essentially read my work mails or text messages on an iPad tied to my account) so this list could contain points that already happened:
  • Add support for multi-user configurations (tie it to e.g. family sharing)
  • Add support for iPhone only apps as slideover apps (that's also how they could add the calculator app to the iPad)
  • Weather app
  • Health / Activity app: The data can already be synced with iCloud. With them trying to "cut the ties" on watchOS, we could see a future where you can buy and use a Watch without having an iPhone. The Health data could automatically sync to iCloud and you could view it on any Apple device with a big screen (where it makes sense, like iPad or Mac). Bonus points: allow your iPad to connect with your watchOS device when in proximity (if no phone present)
  • Beef up the Photos app to be more in line with the macOS counterpart (being able to edit metadata in particular)
  • Beef up the Music app to be more in line with the macOS counterpart (manage smart playlists etc)
  • Beef up Safari a notch to be more customizable and in line with the macOS counterpart
  • More in-depth PWA support (e.g. service workers with notifications support)
  • Wired-power mode boosting stuff like background app activity (e.g. when on battery -> respect the background app activity settings, when wired -> allow us to ignore the limits imposed in background app activity settings). This could go even further and allow memory dumps on the disk for RAM management, essentially a boosted swap memory mode (the disk is so fast most people wont notice that the app they had open 1h ago takes 1-2s longer to open). Especially interesting for RAM hungry apps that lose their progress in the background (e.g. an app where you're filling out a form, only to return and see that it got wiped and all your progress is lost).
  • True second screen support like on macOS (essentially turn 1 iPad into 2, by hooking up a monitor and have 2x Home Screen with 2x apps open)
  • XCode app that would at least allow us to develop iOS / iPadOS apps. Doesn't matter if it's fully fledged or not, at least give software developers something to justify owning an iPad over a macOS device. Bonus points: allow the whole development process to happen on device: create, develop, publish to App Store / TestFlight
Contrary to the popular opinion, I want them to stay true to the iOS roots most of the time though. Don't want the iPad to turn into Touch macOS and lose its identity in the process.

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
I'd like multitasking to be improved with app 'snippets', you could call them, sitting at the bottom of the screen. Especially for things like chat/communication apps. Similar to when you are drafting an email and minimise it to the bottom of the screen... essentially a small bar which shows important information you're missing while it's in the background, allowing you to quickly switch in to it, respond, and back out again.
So basically what notifications and notification center is doing already? ?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
So basically what notifications and notification center is doing already? ?

Yes and no, but mostly no.

Banners/alerts show up at the top. This would be more like a "mini player" that slots underneath another app/half app in side by side mode.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

I'm like a broken record on this calculator as well. There's no bloody reason why a $1000 (CAD) device touted as a computer, is missing a free standard calculator.
If the original Mac 128K can have one, surely an iPad can as well.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I'm like a broken record on this calculator as well. There's no bloody reason why a $1000 (CAD) device touted as a computer, is missing a free standard calculator.
Whilst I agree to a point, just go grab PCalc for free. It‘s better than the native app anyway. If you feel like paying for the other version then there are some pretty cool advanced features.

fredrik9

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2018
Sweden
- [ ] Default apps
- [ ] Open spotlight search within an app without a hardware keyboard
- [ ] Edit and erase remembered Wi-Fi networks
- [ ] Erase counter 30 days for Files Trash
- [ ] Be able to use columns when saving in the save files box (for example when choosing a location to save a Word document)
- [ ] Be able to add and view descriptions for photos in the native Photos app
- [ ] Ability to forward/rewind videos from search in Photos.app
- [ ] Always on display for OLED devices
- [ ] Double-tap for forward/backward in native video player
- [ ] Indication as to which Split View app is currently active
- [ ] Power off should require Face ID/Touch ID
- [ ] Control the Apple Music app playback from other devices
- [ ] Faster way to que songs in Apple Music
- [ ] Dual Bluetooth audio connections (also for Apple TV requires Bluetooth 5)
- [ ] Tabs for all apps
- [ ] Multiple windows side-by-side for apps, so for example Pages can show two documents simultaneously (some apps can do this but not all first-party even)
- [ ] An overhaul of the homescreen to make it more customizable and useful
- [ ] Added keyboard shortcuts to bring it on par with the Mac (force developers to add support for external keyboards)
- [ ] Files app more options and get rid of tap and hold and have a quicker and easier way of sharing files etc. Previews for files.
- [ ] Multiple audio streams
- [ ] Complications on lockscreen and changeable lockscreen toggles
- [ ] Phone calls stop hijacking screen
- [ ] All apps for iPad need to support Side-by-side and video apps PiP (force developers)
- [ ] Keyboard shortcuts that tie in to the system, like play/pause spacebar and cmd-f is find and search. Keyboard shortcuts greatly expanded.
- [ ] Ability to hide homebar
- [ ] Xcode for iOS (developers need to be able to write code on iPad)
- [ ] A disk utility function on iPad to format external disks in APFS, macOS extended, exFAT
- [ ] Support for encrypted external APFS, HFS+ file systems
- [ ] Siri should stop hijacking the entire screen (especially on iPad)
- [ ] Lose the giant pop-ups for “Added to playlist” in the Music app
- [ ] Rename Bluetooth devices
- [ ] Search for emojis in the built-in keyboard
- [ ] AI suggestions for Files and more
- [ ] Toggle to hide app names on homescreenOj

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
- [ ] Default apps
- [ ] Open spotlight search within an app without a hardware keyboard
- [ ] Edit and erase remembered Wi-Fi networks
- [ ] Erase counter 30 days for Files Trash
- [ ] Be able to use columns when saving in the save files box (for example when choosing a location to save a Word document)
- [ ] Be able to add and view descriptions for photos in the native Photos app
- [ ] Ability to forward/rewind videos from search in Photos.app
- [ ] Always on display for OLED devices
- [ ] Double-tap for forward/backward in native video player
- [ ] Indication as to which Split View app is currently active
- [ ] Power off should require Face ID/Touch ID
- [ ] Control the Apple Music app playback from other devices
- [ ] Faster way to que songs in Apple Music
- [ ] Dual Bluetooth audio connections (also for Apple TV requires Bluetooth 5)
- [ ] Tabs for all apps
- [ ] Multiple windows side-by-side for apps, so for example Pages can show two documents simultaneously (some apps can do this but not all first-party even)
- [ ] An overhaul of the homescreen to make it more customizable and useful
- [ ] Added keyboard shortcuts to bring it on par with the Mac (force developers to add support for external keyboards)
- [ ] Files app more options and get rid of tap and hold and have a quicker and easier way of sharing files etc. Previews for files.
- [ ] Multiple audio streams
- [ ] Complications on lockscreen and changeable lockscreen toggles
- [ ] Phone calls stop hijacking screen
- [ ] All apps for iPad need to support Side-by-side and video apps PiP (force developers)
- [ ] Keyboard shortcuts that tie in to the system, like play/pause spacebar and cmd-f is find and search. Keyboard shortcuts greatly expanded.
- [ ] Ability to hide homebar
- [ ] Xcode for iOS (developers need to be able to write code on iPad)
- [ ] A disk utility function on iPad to format external disks in APFS, macOS extended, exFAT
- [ ] Support for encrypted external APFS, HFS+ file systems
- [ ] Siri should stop hijacking the entire screen (especially on iPad)
- [ ] Lose the giant pop-ups for “Added to playlist” in the Music app
- [ ] Rename Bluetooth devices
- [ ] Search for emojis in the built-in keyboard
- [ ] AI suggestions for Files and more
- [ ] Toggle to hide app names on homescreenOj

Wow!

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
What I'd like the iPad to be able to do better is basic office work. I can work on it now, but that it could and should be better, definitely.

For starters, the office apps should be at the very least be more stable and possibly (probably) have more functionality. I find too often that the Word and Excel apps are not working well, and the search function in PDF files sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, it depends on the file and I don't know what the criteria is.

Word stutters and is the only app where I see freezes while using the app. The other day any document I would open would be a dark empty screen. I thought there was something wrong with the file maybe, but then when I opened another file and it had the same problem, I knew it was the software on my device so I killed the app an restarted it and it worked. It's a simple enough solution, but still, if I'm going to use the iPad as a very important piece in my office work, it needs to do better than intermittent freezes, blank screens, lags while opening documents etc.

Excel for a certain period of time wouldn't open certain xlsx files, I don't know why. It would simply say that the file can't be opened because it's not the right extension or something, and then all of a sudden it started working a couple of weeks or a month later. I have automatic updates turned on so I assume the app got updated to fix this.

Then the files app. I store all of my files in iCloud Drive so I'll be doing work on my Mac editing a file and then the next day or next week or whatever I'll want to do something on my iPad so I open that file and it says that it's a read-only copy and I need to save a copy to be able to edit it. So I do that and it allows me to edit the document. Other times it will also tell me that the file is an older version and if I want to edit it, I need to save it as a newer file version. Both of these messages show up often and slow me down in my work because in order to start working I have to save the document for some reason, so even more so than slowing me down it's annoying and just seems stupidly unnecessary and poor performance from Apple to be allowing such a big to impede work. Since I already know this will happen, I started saving a copy right away, I'd long press the file and tap Duplicate then opend the newly created duplicate of the file and edit that, it allows me to start editing immediately. Again, however, it's annoying and I'm crowding files this way, creating the risk of deleting the wrong duplicate or even worse sending a client the wrong file so while working I also have to remeber to mop up after myself by deleting all of the uneditable duplicates.

These may not be huge bugs, but they make me laugh at the idea of the iPad being a laptop replacement. The iPad cannot perform basic office work without bugs, crashes, app restarts etc. The other day I was editing a Word document and I was using a pdf document as a reference so I was switching between them constantly (I didn't use split view as I wanted to be using the entire screen). I was doing this for about half an hour or longer and occasionally the Word file would restart. I don't know why because these were the only two apps I was using, it's not like I had five apps in rotation, only Word and Adobe Acrobat Reader and Word would not stay in memory for long. I don't know enough about this so I may be expecting too much, but I think a device with 4GB of RAM should be able to keep two apps in memory.

I have a 2017 10,5 inch iPad Pro that I bought in July 2019, so it's not an underpowered device that can't handle basic office apps. The bugs that I listed above never happen on my MacBook Air. Whenever this talk of the iPad replacing a laptop comes up, I feel like in order to agree with that idea you either have to want to jump on the "What's a computer?" bandwagon or you do a specific type of work that the new pro iPads are customised for (photo and video editing). Since I doubt there are more people who edit photo and video as opposed to the rest of us who edit more basic types of files, it just seems to me like the iPad should be more reliable in this department.

Like I said, if I want to do all of my work on the iPad, I could with some difficulty, provided that it can open the files to begin with. But I simply can't even contemplate having the iPad as my only or even main computing device when I know I run the risk of the software not being able to open certain files, which sadly seems to sometimes include a basic Excel file that I have no problem opening on my Mac or the Windows machine at work. These shortcomings just seem so ridiculous and that's the point of this post - I want iPadOS 14 to straighten this out. I know not all of this is Apple's fault, sometimes the problem is the app, but if Apple did their part better, I know the whole experience would be better, more enjoyable and more hassle free, which is when I'd start to consider the latest iPad Pro as well as investing in a trackpad or the magic keyboard or whatever.

So there it is, for me it's nothing along the lines of the Weather app or the Calculator, just the basics in the Files app and all-around better and more consistent performance when it comes to the most essential office apps.

The iPad doesn't have it because it doesn't have it, just Apple things. There is no reason for the iPad not to have a calculator other than that it never had one. It's probably the same reason why iOS doesn't allow us to arrange apps on the home screen any way we want, the icons have to go one after the other in a grid. In the beginning I suppose it was to make the software more stable, but now if my iPhone can recognize me looking at it and immediately adjust the volume of the notification, I think it can handle me skipping an app icon spot on the home screen and putting that app icon in the next available spot in the grid. But it doesn't because it doesn't, it's Apple. Maybe in iOS 15 in the next round of revolutionary features, at which point we'll be waiting for iOS 16 and hoping it comes asap.

I don't update iOS or iPad OS anymore, I stopped at 13.3.1. and I'm waiting for iOS 14. Maybe that should be the main thing on the iPad OS 14 wishlist - for Apple to make it so that you don't give up on updates halfway through the year.

I know this post isn't a list of things Apple can add to iPadOS 14, it's actually a bug report, but it is what it is because that's what I want most - a less buggy OS that does basic functionality properly.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
remember reading - when iPad came out the calculator and some other apps just didn't look good on new screen so Apple didn't include -then there are so many free alternatives they didn't bother rewriting. You're right it is strange but not among most people's top 1,000,000 issues

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
My big asks are:

- improvements to the files app and, in particular, how it plays with others. I have never been able to search my files in OneDrive, which is where I live most of the time
-improvements to multitasking. Way too difficult
-Add a Touchbar at the bottom of the screen when an external keyboard is attached. This could be a way of invoking multitasking, for example. I’d be thrilled if the BetterTouchTool team were able to work with this. I use their app to mod the TouchBar on my 16” MBP and love it.

Last edited:

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
remember reading - when iPad came out the calculator and some other apps just didn't look good on new screen so Apple didn't include -then there are so many free alternatives they didn't bother rewriting. You're right it is strange but not among most people's top 1,000,000 issues

That may have been true with the original iPad 10 years ago, but nowadays there are so many potential ways that Apple could integrate a calculator into iPadOS without awkwardly taking up the whole screen. Like many have said, they could make it into a slide over type app, or introduce small windowed apps for things like this that you can freely move around the screen. It’d be nice if you could go into full screen mode for functions like the full scientific calculator, but for basic calculations they could easily integrate a small calculator window into the OS without it being weird.

I also see people being annoyed about the lack of a basic calculator all the time. I definitely think it’s an issue. Maybe not the most major one, but it’s cited often enough for them to (hopefully) notice.

fbm3334

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2020
My wish list for iPadOS 14 would be:
  • Siri acting like it does on macOS (i.e. a notification style popup rather than taking up the whole screen)
  • Allow iPhone only apps (e.g. banking apps/Instagram) to use Slide Over view rather than the current view (which has been around since iOS 3.2)
  • Echoing posts above, add basic apps such as Calculator and Activity
  • Have an easier gesture for switching between windows of the same app such as a two-finger swipe
  • Video resolution switcher in Camera app similar to iPhone 11/iOS 13 camera
  • Apple TV remote in Slide Over
  • Floating Slide Over windows
  • Add a Command key on the virtual keyboard for shortcuts
  • Not sure whether the Gen 1 Pencil has the sensors etc for this, but display a battery notification when the Pencil is picked up
  • Add Control Centre shortcut to launch Sidecar from the iPad
  • Add Sidecar shortcut to change display orientation/side (i.e. if you want to move the iPad to the other side)
  • Time Machine backups (if Apple want the iPad to be seen as a PC replacement, then backups are important to many people)
  • Finally, this is unlikely to happen, but a Terminal app (even if no root access)

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
What I'd like the iPad to be able to do better is basic office work. I can work on it now, but that it could and should be better, definitely.

<snipped>

The issues with what you’re talking about it that Apple can’t make Microsoft improve the iOS Office Suite Apps. I certainly agree that they are handicapped in numerous ways, but what incentive does MS have to make them feature rich? When social distancing began, I gave up my MacBook to a friend lacking a computer, deciding to go solely iPad Pro. In the past 6 weeks, my frustration with Office Suite has encouraged me to use Pages and Numbers, and they work pretty doggone well.

I’m also confused by this calculator talk. One of the first things I did when I got my iPad was download Basic Calculator free, set it as a widget, and move the app to my unused apps folder. Do we really need a calculator from Apple when there are plenty of free options?

I feel iPadOS 14’s killer feature was intended to be the cursor support, which they pushed out early due to the COVID-19 crisis (13.4 dropped a week after most of North America went into lockdown). So now I would expect the rest of 14’s features to be pretty small (but I‘d be thrilled to be wrong). My two big wishes now would be...

• Files Improvements: Specifically integrating photos into a Files location
  • Second Screen Support: Now that the iPad Pro has a hub that pushes power, it would be amazing to be able to set it down, put in an adapter, and work on two screens at the same time. Safari on one, Pages on the other, etc.

Reactions: hojx

zkap

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2019
The issues with what you’re talking about it that Apple can’t make Microsoft improve the iOS Office Suite Apps. I certainly agree that they are handicapped in numerous ways, but what incentive does MS have to make them feature rich? When social distancing began, I gave up my MacBook to a friend lacking a computer, deciding to go solely iPad Pro. In the past 6 weeks, my frustration with Office Suite has encouraged me to use Pages and Numbers, and they work pretty doggone well.

I know they can't, which is why I said Apple can't fix all of these. What I'm interested in is to which extent the poor job Apple did with iOS 13 enabled these bugs? In other words, did Apple help this to happen, or is this Microsoft having no incentive to improve their iPad apps?

More importantly than this, I'd like to know about the Pages and Numbers apps. How do they work, for instance, when someone on the other end who is using Windows sends you a .docx file? What is the compatibility like, do you have issues etc? I would switch immediately, I just never thought of it as a realistic option due to having discarded it every time because everyone I work with uses Windows.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I know they can't, which is why I said Apple can't fix all of these. What I'm interested in is to which extent the poor job Apple did with iOS 13 enabled these bugs? In other words, did Apple help this to happen, or is this Microsoft having no incentive to improve their iPad apps?

More importantly than this, I'd like to know about the Pages and Numbers apps. How do they work, for instance, when someone on the other end who is using Windows sends you a .docx file? What is the compatibility like, do you have issues etc? I would switch immediately, I just never thought of it as a realistic option due to having discarded it every time because everyone I work with uses Windows.

Nearly 100% compatibility with Office docs and spreadsheets. Both directions.

Reactions: zkap

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I would like to see the battery life of iOS 7.1.2 or even just 12.1

I would like the return of the rock solid bluetooth and wifi stacks of 7.1.2 They rewrote the wifi stack in iOS 8 and it has been garbage ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.