Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Full keyboard access allowing global remapping of all keys is a must-have for me now with the Magic Keyboard.

I’d also like to see us being able to invoke Siri in some sort of minimal way like you can do on the Mac. So if I ask Siri to turn the volume down, I get a little notification in the top right instead of it being a full-screen takeover of the iPad!

Reactions: fbm3334

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I would like to see the battery life of iOS 7.1.2 or even just 12.1

I would like the return of the rock solid bluetooth and wifi stacks of 7.1.2 They rewrote the wifi stack in iOS 8 and it has been garbage ever since.
I hear you, but my intent in this thread was to list features we'd like to see, not bug fixes (I'm not blaming you for posting these, as I was the one who was not clear).

Essentially, my hopes for this thread were to discuss the things that remain barriers to the iPad being a true laptop replacement and whether we might see some of these in iOS 14.

Aston441

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
I hear you, but my intent in this thread was to list features we'd like to see, not bug fixes (I'm not blaming you for posting these, as I was the one who was not clear).

Essentially, my hopes for this thread were to discuss the things that remain barriers to the iPad being a true laptop replacement and whether we might see some of these in iOS 14.

Ah. I see. My bad.

well being able to have a blank home screen adding only what user wants, and hidden dock, true preemptive multitasking (Hello? 1985? Can you explain to us in the future how to do preemptive multitasking again?!?), and a regular mouse cursor from the 1980s too would be a good start.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Try FileBrowser - https://apps.apple.com/es/app/filebrowser-for-business/id854618029?l=en

I can´t see Apple putting in as much effort to their Files app, that this company puts into their version.

Is it fully iCloud Drive compatible?

My main problems with the files app are a) not being able to download whole folders and b) search being abysmal.

Thus I'd like options such as being able to have all of iCloud Drive downloaded at all times, or optimise downloads based on usage + being able to download whole folders at one time.

I'd also like for files search to search the contents of documents.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2019
option to hide home bar button on iphone x iphone 11 and ipad pro 2018 2020. seriously i come from android s8 s9 s10 i always keep it invisible because i know gestures by heart at least apple could do is give me option to hide it i don’t want burn in some apps do not automatically hide the home bar jesus apple can you at least do that already

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
option to hide home bar button on iphone x iphone 11 and ipad pro 2018 2020. seriously i come from android s8 s9 s10 i always keep it invisible because i know gestures by heart at least apple could do is give me option to hide it i don’t want burn in some apps do not automatically hide the home bar jesus apple can you at least do that already

Remember: this thread is about iPadOS features and, in particular, those that would make it a laptop replacement.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
Just fix the memory management.

I am absolutely sick and tired of iPadOS13 aggressively killing the *active* application when I simply lock my iPad Pro.

It never used to happen with iOS 12, only 13, and it absolutely kills any attempt to use the iPad Pro as a „Professional“ device.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Royksöpp

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2013
  • Use multiple apps on an external monitor and also have the option of mirroring.
  • View files on iCloud Drive without having to download them. (Why I switched to Dropbox)
  • Overall improvement of the Files App. Just give us an iPad version of the Finder already!
  • Source Files stored and accessible outside of App.
  • An advanced right click menu similar to a Mac.
  • Adobe Suite for iPad improvements.
  • Airdrop files from Mac to specific iPad Apps.
  • Magic Keyboard Trackpad support in Handoff.
  • Switch sound between Mac and iPad in Handoff.
  • Torrent Support.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Is it fully iCloud Drive compatible?

My main problems with the files app are a) not being able to download whole folders and b) search being abysmal.

Thus I'd like options such as being able to have all of iCloud Drive downloaded at all times, or optimise downloads based on usage + being able to download whole folders at one time.

I'd also like for files search to search the contents of documents.

FileBrowser is as “fully iCloud compatible” as Apple permit. It has their own iCloud folder in the app that is automatically replicated to other devices that are running FileBrowser and are signed-in to iCloud with the same ID. The “USB Drive” folder can be used to point FileBrowser at an iCloud folder of another app and then use FileBrowser’s file and folder feature to manage the files & folders. It’s not possible for a third-party app to access all iCloud Drive folders at once, as the iOS Files App does. FileBrowser doesn´t have a multi-file text search feature.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Now that mouse support is finally here and usable, these are the things that would really enhance my experience:
  • Extended desktop on an external monitor
  • Improved multitasking
  • Improvements to the files app
  • More control of the home screen
  • More support for external USB devices
Those are the main shortcomings for my uses. Lots of the other items people have mentioned would be nice but aren't overly limiting me. Adding some iPhone apps like the health, weather and a calculator would also be nice.

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
I'm hoping for better external monitor support. Currently, you can only mirror the iPad's display on an external monitor, which leaves letterbox-style black bars on either side of the mirrored image. I'd like the option to run an external monitor as a secondary (non-mirrored) display at its own native resolution. That would go a long way toward making the iPad Pro more useful in my everyday workflow.

Reactions: D.T. and Mike82

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What I want is for the Air 2 and hopefully Mini 4 to support it
Agreed. I'm hopeful but not convinced they will get it though, given they run the A8 line of SoCs. A8 is really getting long in the tooth, but A8X still has some life left in it. However, despite the fact that A8X is way faster than A8, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple drop both at the same time in 2020. The benefit of dropping A8/A8X is going with a fixed minimum feature set provided by A9 and up. So while iOS/iPadOS 13 made 2 GB RAM the minimum requirement, I'd guess that iOS/iPadOS 14 would make A9 the minimum requirement. One big feature for A9/A9X and up is hardware h.265 HEVC acceleration. This is missing on A8/A8X.

HEVC aside though, from a pure performance perspective, I think it makes sense for iPad Air 2 to get the update, while leaving iPad mini 4 behind.

I'm ambivalent on the iPhone SE (2016) because of its 4" form factor, even though I have one. However, I think it will get iOS 14, because it is only 4 years old and has A9, and because the iPod touch 7th generation with the same form factor will get it since it was just released last year (with A10).

--

My other main wish for iOS/iPadOS 14 is that external storage support is improved. Cuz it still kinda sucks right now.

Last edited:

Hessel89

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2017
Netherlands
better external monitor support. maybe resolution independence would be a bridge too far but better support for screen ratios would be awesome! (maybe aside from the ultra wide screens)

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I’m sure we’d have heard rumours by now if it were coming, but basically I think iPad needs to start acting like Mac OS when using an external display - ie real multitasking with multiple resizable windows that you can move around.

I also think they need to totally rethink how current split screen and slide over is implemented. The process for launching a second application right now is slow, unwieldy, unintuitive and un-Apple. I also keep ending up with forgotten about windows (especially Safari ones) - that happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
Agreed. I'm hopeful but not convinced they will get it though, given they run the A8 line of SoCs. A8 is really getting long in the tooth, but A8X still has some life left in it. However, despite the fact that A8X is way faster than A8, I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple drop both at the same time in 2020. The benefit of dropping A8/A8X is going with a fixed minimum feature set provided by A9 and up. So while iOS/iPadOS 13 made 2 GB RAM the minimum requirement, I'd guess that iOS/iPadOS 14 would make A9 the minimum requirement. One big feature for A9/A9X and up is hardware h.265 HEVC acceleration. This is missing on A8/A8X.

HEVC aside though, from a pure performance perspective, I think it makes sense for iPad Air 2 to get the update, while leaving iPad mini 4 behind.

I'm ambivalent on the iPhone SE (2016) because of its 4" form factor, even though I have one. However, I think it will get iOS 14, because it is only 4 years old and has A9, and because the iPod touch 7th generation with the same form factor will get it since it was just released last year (with A10).

--

My other main wish for iOS/iPadOS 14 is that external storage support is improved. Cuz it still kinda sucks right now.

the thing is, I can think of situations where there is a chance those 2 iPads will get it, one being iOS 13’s criticism as well as the coronavirus outbreak hampering Apples production line (temporarily), as well as lower consumer demand towards newer iPads and iPhones in general and more holding onto the older devices because of situations linked to the outbreak ( like unemployment etc)

regarding OG SE, don’t be like iphonesoft and think the 4 inch factor. That crap Apple fan site said SE won’t get iOS 13 because of its screen size.. not the processor and RAM etc, but that.. even when the SE can perform better than the other A9 devices they still predicted that it won’t get it and bam it got it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I’m sure we’d have heard rumours by now if it were coming, but basically I think iPad needs to start acting like Mac OS when using an external display - ie real multitasking with multiple resizable windows that you can move around.

I also think they need to totally rethink how current split screen and slide over is implemented. The process for launching a second application right now is slow, unwieldy, unintuitive and in-Apple. I also keep ending up with forgotten about windows (especially Safari ones) - that happen to anyone else?

They do a better job of concealing iOS than they do hardware.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I would love to see pro apps come to the iPad Pro, IF Final Cut Pro X was brought to the iPad Pro i would upgrade my 2017 to the new one as soon as.

Craig Federighi will be showing more keyboard software demos at WWDC according to the leaks at the end of this iPhone video

With the current situation, i think he means via some videos or maybe there will be one keynote but without the audience.

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I am praying for:

1. Magic Keyboard - ways to adjust brightness of keys from control center

2. External monitor support - multiple resolutions and maybe even as an Extended way - so I can throw apps in in on my own

3. Smaller icons - I don't like the size of the icons on iPad - I would love to be able to adjust them further down and be able to squish in multiple on the same screen

4. Split Screen 3 and 4 ways - I would like to add 4 open apps and see in all of them. With a gesture, I would like to be able to bring one of them to focus (while keeping the others visible) and have it enlarge a bit while I am working in it.

5. Native Remote Desktop Screen sharing with the Mac

6. A native Calculator! Widget or whatever.... seriously Apple....

7. Proper Wallpaper and Theme Customization - I would like to be able to assign specific wallpapers for light mode and specific for dark mode and have the system switch them according to schedule

8. FCP X port. I would love to have it one day.... sigh....

9. Xcode

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
True multitasking... like keep an app open and let it not forget its state. I'm looking at apps that connect to databases that need to reconnect all the time when you swipe to your email, SSH shell apps, and other apps too (even Numbers at some point was doing this).

And perhaps the rules need to be loosened up on iPadOS vs the phone. iPads have much larger batteries (and frankly they should receive more RAM too if you ask me).

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I want to see required support for split view multitasking. For example Google has long avoided implementing this feature for Gmail and Google Maps. Apple needs to put their foot down on this or else users will be having to trial and error every app to see if this works.

I also want to see support for prediction in my language, Finnish. It is completely ridiculous that this is not available when it is standard on every single keyboard on Android for example. I now have to toggle between Apple keyboard and Swiftkey or Gboard, both of which have bad layouts on the iPad Pro. I would rather use the stock keyboard.

Support for first gen Apple Pencil. When the only issue is needing a USB-C to Lightning adapter for pairing and charging, I can deal with that. What I don't like dealing is buying an expensive peripheral for it to become a paperweight just because Apple decided so. Which is why I haven't updated from my 2017 iPad Pro.

Better external monitor support. It should work exactly as plugging in a display to a Mac works. Yes, even supporting ultrawides. Just limit the max size of apps if scaling is a problem.

Oh and incoming Facetime calls not taking over the whole damn screen.

Reactions: nicho

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I would love to see pro apps come to the iPad Pro, IF Final Cut Pro X was brought to the iPad Pro i would upgrade my 2017 to the new one as soon as.

Craig Federighi will be showing more keyboard software demos at WWDC according to the leaks at the end of this iPhone video

With the current situation, i think he means via some videos or maybe there will be one keynote but without the audience.

The timing of the whole keyboard thing has felt strange. There was no real need to release the new Magic Keyboard and the iPadOS trackpad enhancements when they did. They could easily have waited til WWDC. I think that they did this in order to get it in everyone’s hands before iOS 14 launched, so that there could be meaningful beta testing of what will be the actual killer features, whatever those may be (thinking TouchBar, among others).

Or, wishful thinking!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.