Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
I am praying for:

1. Magic Keyboard - ways to adjust brightness of keys from control center

2. External monitor support - multiple resolutions and maybe even as an Extended way - so I can throw apps in in on my own

3. Smaller icons - I don't like the size of the icons on iPad - I would love to be able to adjust them further down and be able to squish in multiple on the same screen

4. Split Screen 3 and 4 ways - I would like to add 4 open apps and see in all of them. With a gesture, I would like to be able to bring one of them to focus (while keeping the others visible) and have it enlarge a bit while I am working in it.

5. Native Remote Desktop Screen sharing with the Mac

6. A native Calculator! Widget or whatever.... seriously Apple....

7. Proper Wallpaper and Theme Customization - I would like to be able to assign specific wallpapers for light mode and specific for dark mode and have the system switch them according to schedule

8. FCP X port. I would love to have it one day.... sigh....

9. Xcode

Very good post. I can see at least several of these being implemented.

Reactions: kissmo

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
The timing of the whole keyboard thing has felt strange. There was no real need to release the new Magic Keyboard and the iPadOS trackpad enhancements when they did. They could easily have waited til WWDC. I think that they did this in order to get it in everyone’s hands before iOS 14 launched, so that there could be meaningful beta testing of what will be the actual killer features, whatever those may be (thinking TouchBar, among others).

Or, wishful thinking!

i agree!

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I want to see required support for split view multitasking. For example Google has long avoided implementing this feature for Gmail and Google Maps. Apple needs to put their foot down on this or else users will be having to trial and error every app to see if this works.

Actually, yes. This especially.

I'm forced to use another such app for work. They won't implement this for some reason, even though their UI is just a mirror of their responsive design website and that happily adapts to their "mobile" version (single-pane rather than dual-pane) when the window is too small.

DisraeliGears

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2015
Thought of another somewhat minor tweak that would be handy for me at least. If they figured out a way to keep app windows in a consistent order for left/right three fingered swipes. At the moment it goes in chronological order of last use, but after a short period the current app takes over as the newest app. I much prefer the setup on my MacBook, where it will stay Desktop—>Safari—>Messages—>Word (or whatever).

Ipadlover29

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2011
Low power mode
battery health and optimized battery charging
stock calculator and weather apps
safari extensions
abilty to choose default apps for web browser, email, music ,etc
wired teathering like on the Mac

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
First, I would like to have a less intrusive interface. For example, that Siri doesn’t appear in the entire screen area.
I would like to have the ability to add files to the home screen to access them more quickly.
Also, something that many iPad users have been asking for years, multi-user support.
Improve the files app and make Safari a more complex browser.
Proper external monitor support.

About multitasking, they have to improve it in many ways. First, they need to improve the RAM management. It's a mess on iPadOS 13. Also, I'd like them to start using "swap memory" like the Mac does. This is that when the RAM memory is full, instead of reloading apps or Safari tabs and losing what you are doing, they temporarily store that data on the SSD. And then, when you access to that app again, that data goes back to the RAM memory. Also another important thing is to allow apps to work in the background.

And finally, I would like if they dedicate a portion of the WWDC to incentivize developers to bring their Mac apps to the iPad, giving them tools to make it easier.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
Remember everyone: this thread is about iPadOS specific items, not general Apple mobile OS issues.

Murkrage

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2017
I really... really... really want multi-user support. My fiancé bought an iPad Pro, which is a great device. I love using it, but I'm not using it as much as I want to because it doesn't have my stuff on it. None of my accounts, none of my settings. Anything that's iCloud synced is simply not there.

It doesn't even have to be difficult from a user perspective either. With faceID if you see my face, give me my settings and my accounts. If you see her face it should use hers. If that's too difficult, put up a switch user button on the lock screen.

I don't know, it seems silly not to have multiple users now that we have iPadOS. Even Apple TV has multi user support for crying out loud ?

Marlon DLTH :)

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2020
I don't know, it seems silly not to have multiple users now that we have iPadOS.

Yes, I know that the iPhone is a personal device and for that reason, iOS doesn't have multi-user support. But now that iPadOS was separated from iOS is the right moment to include it on the iPad.

With faceID if you see my face, give me my settings and my accounts. If you see her face it should use hers.

If they add multi-user support to the iPad, that's the most Apple-like way to do that. It will be intuitive and easy to use

JohnCrichton

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2014
Stockholm, Sweden
- Faster systemwide animations to make the os feel snappier.
- Dynamic apps with widgets on the home screen with the ability of placing said apps however one wants.
- Improved night photos by enabling Ai-cores from iPhone x and above.
- A more fleshed out files app that is less clunky and that can be used to manage external hard drive.
- Better wifi stability on the ca!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
What I am hoping to see, in addition to a more versatile TouchBar at the bottom of the screen while using a keyboard, is a complete overhaul of multitasking (or at least how it is invoked).

The current method is just awful, awful, awful. I’ve had an iPad Pro with a keyboard for a year now (and have been an iPad user for 9 years) and the methods of invoking split screen and SlideOver (especially) are horrible and at times difficult to do (try moving an app from SlideOver to full screen sometime...unless you hit the precise, correct spot in dragging it to the top center of the screen, the app simply hops from one side to the other). Worse...they are not discoverable in any ready fashion.

There just has to be a better way. One would be to offer keyboard shortcuts for this (e.g. CMD+L moves an app to the left half of the screen, CMD+R moves it to the right side, etc...)

P.S. I’m not a super fan of split screen operations on MacOS either, especially if you have multiple Spaces open.

SW3029

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2019
All I want is expandable/collapsible folders in the Mail app. I have hundreds of folders and subfolders in my email account in which I arrange received emails. Since many of these folders are subfolders, I have to scroll and insane amount to find a folder with the email I'm looking for.

It would be terrific if I could just collapse all the primary folders and then expand the one I want to see its subfolders.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Can we agree that external drive support on iPadOS 13 is just abysmal? I mean, macOS doesn’t do an amazing jobs either (no Safe shutdown of HDD), but on iPadOS 13, there is no eject feature, and the drive is being “refreshed” somehow continuously, disabling HDD’s own “sleep/shutdown” feature (drive stops spinning after long time inactivity). Every time removing HDD is a frightening moment worrying about damaged drives or losing data. Windows, on the other hand, safely turns off HDD after ejecting from the system. I get it, I get it, “Why not using SSD?” BUT, 2TB SSD is 50%-75% more expensive than HDD of the same size, and there’s few 4TB option with a hefty price tag. HDD is going to be around for a LONG while, and I wish Apple can acknowledge that.

Oh wait, there’s more. The file transfer speed is abysmal as well. It could be just me, but I never successfully transfer any file that is larger than 2MB and more than 2 files at a time, from iPad to external drive or vice versa. This issue raises the question to me: what’s Apple’s “vision” of iPad replacing a laptop when external drive support is this bad? Wire isn’t going anywhere, so does external storage device, unless those futuristic DNA drive comes in that can last millions of years.

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2017
I would like it if some of the apps would be upgraded feature wise to their macOS counterparts. For example:
  • Better playlist and media management in Music
  • Beter album organisation in Photos, and keywords for photos
  • iWork applications full feature set of macOS
And also a share sheet that makes sense again, that would, for example, display Word as the first application when I want to share a Word document and not iBooks/Twitter/Flipboard.

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Also, something that many iPad users have been asking for years, multi-user support.
I really... really... really want multi-user support. My fiancé bought an iPad Pro, which is a great device. I love using it, but I'm not using it as much as I want to because it doesn't have my stuff on it. None of my accounts, none of my settings. Anything that's iCloud synced is simply not there.

It doesn't even have to be difficult from a user perspective either. With faceID if you see my face, give me my settings and my accounts. If you see her face it should use hers. If that's too difficult, put up a switch user button on the lock screen.

I don't know, it seems silly not to have multiple users now that we have iPadOS. Even Apple TV has multi user support for crying out loud ?

I also really want proper multi-user support, like on macOS. Like, really really want this. It's the top missing feature by far.

I think the difficulty Apple is likely having has to do with apps installed by both users but configured seperately.

On macOS, it's pretty simple to have multiple users access the same binary of an app (e.g., Microsoft Word) but have separate settings and files for each user (each user has their own Library and application data folders).

On iOS/macOS I believe the binary and user configurations and files all live together in a single bundle. (Someone that knows more can correct me if I'm wrong). So either each app would have to be installed twice (waste of space), or Apple has to do some work to unbundle the app binary itself from the settings and supporting files. I'm not sure if the latter would break some of the sandboxing that they feel is necessary.

lddhtx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2020
Here’s my wishlist:

- Fix the window system. Slide Over is too complicated. Why can’t I use Split View with apps on the home screen? Why can’t I use Slide Over on the home screen? Why can’t I use multiple Slide Over apps at once? Why can’t I resize Slide Over apps? Why can’t I drag an app into a full screen space in the app switcher like I can do on my Mac? Would be cool if apps that support multitasking could be opened in various tabs (like Safari).
- Bring Mission Control to iPadOS. This would effectively show the current iPadOS app switcher UI plus the current iPadOS Slide Over app switcher UI in one place. Finally, iPhone-only apps should automatically and only open in slide over (Weather, Wallet, Health, etc.).
- A true desktop. Why can’t I drag files to the desktop? Why can’t I use Stacks in the Dock? Let me put as many apps as I want to in the Dock.
- Better multitasking APIs. Apps performing a background task shouldn’t be forced to time out when in the background. Example: SSH clients, database connections, Spotify downloading a playlist, etc.
- True external display support, like macOS. Should only work with a trackpad/mouse; Nobody wants a touch monitor.
- Developer tools (please). Xcode, Terminal, Safari/Chrome browser extensions and developer tools, etc.
- Pro apps. I think a Final Cut Pro X and Logic Studio Pro X should be deprecated like they did with Aperture. Apple should just beef up Catalyst versions of GarageBand and iMovie. Although some key features would be probably be missing in the initial release, they could be added over time. Both apps should remain free.
- Multiple user accounts.
- Set default apps for mail, browser, music, and maps.
- Allow camera/microphones that are connected via the USB port to be accessible in apps as a recording device. Example: Connect a microphone to record a podcast. This would be a game changer for content producers.
- Fix the Files app. We need all of the features from Finder on Mac.
- Siri and call UI shouldn’t take up the entire screen.
- When a Magic Keyboard is connected, pressing and holding the globe key should make a software function key row appear at the bottom of the screen. Would be useful to quickly play/pause music, etc.

TheColtr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2014
California
I would be happy if the iPad music app looked like the Mac music app. I hate the way the iPad music app is designed. My favorite music app for the iPad was in iOS 3.2 for the iPad. Look at the images of it, it looked like a slimmer iTunes and was very functionally nice. Since iOS 4 or 5 when they switch to that “jukebox” look it’s been terrible.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I just want the photos app to have more features, similar to the macOS version. Adding location metadata, changing the date for a photo (scanned photos from old photo albums to assign appropriate years), manually adding “people” or “faces” in photos where a face isn’t automatically recognized, and better control with the “people” in “this is not this person” and manually assigning them and not being overridden by iOS (I have lots of pictures of identical twins it keeps messing up).

Also for the music app to be able to open .mp3 files. I have some music that wasn’t available on Apple Music, so I needed to get the mp3 and add it to iTunes on the Mac to put it into my iCloud music library.

iPad is so close to replacing my Mac. Let’s go apple, assist in this device cannibalism!

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Make the Music app more powerful. Let us rename things, add new things from the files app, create smart playlists, etc

Oh also, give us the ability to open multiple windows for third party apps, like you could for stock apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.