Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleOrchard

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2022
Colorado
Will the issue be fixed on macOS?
1714488481543.png

Reactions: celtica

vegetassj4

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2014
Introducing a previously unlreleased Stanley Kubrick masterpeiece. The sequel to the highly acclaimed "A ClockWork Orange"

Presenting: Timotheeeee Chalamet in A Clockwork Apple

tc.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TruthAboveAllElse

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Maybe not directly related, but I find an Apple Watch is a wrinkle with audible notifications with the phone working in Standby mode. I have blood glucose alerts I rely on... Before Standby and iOS17, notifications would audibly hit my watch along with a vibration. With Standby it won't do that unless I also charge my watch at the same time, at which point it is a litany of every notification all night long audibly hitting the iphone every five minutes.

In order to have a blood glucose appear in near real time (every five minutes), you need to hack the use of complications on the watch by sending readings to iCloud calendar (because regular complications have a limit of how many times a day they can be refreshed), but that arbitrarily will fail at some point, and the only workaround is to restart the iPhone (restarting Apple Watch won't fix)

Standby mode is ridiculous. The clock and dynamic island are the only pieces that show in near real time. Calendar, and third party screens seem to refresh about every twenty to thirty minutes. In order to have dynamic island data not disappear, the app needs to be manually started and enabled every eight hours due to disabling the ability through shortcuts in 17.4.

Reactions: rjp1

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
If you are experiencing this problem, try turning off the Attention Awareness Feature. Settings > Face ID & Passcode > toggle off said feature. Please test and report back.

It is likely one cause for some because the phone sees your eye awareness it believes it's in your view so ignore the tone. This is also more possible with iPhone "alarm stands" like the article caption.

If one likes having this on regularly, just have the iPhone further away on the nightstand kind of things.

mcled53

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2022
West of the Cascades

Apple today said it is working on a fix for an iPhone software bug that has resulted in some alarms in the Clock app failing to play a sound at the set time for some users recently, according to NBC's Emilie Ikeda and The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern.

StandBy-iOS-17.jpg

The issue was highlighted by the TODAY Show on NBC this morning after gaining traction on social media platforms like TikTok. It is unclear how many iPhone users have experienced this issue, but not everyone is affected. While some TikTok users allege that the iPhone's Attention Aware feature has contributed to the problem, Apple did not reveal a specific cause.

The promised fix could be included in a future software update, such as iOS 17.4.2 or iOS 17.5, but Apple did not provide a timeframe for a resolution.

Article Link: Is Your iPhone's Alarm Not Playing a Sound? Apple Working on Fix
I've never had my alarm not go off. TikTok must be where idiots go to complain.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
This has been happening to me every once in a while for YEARS. Reminds me of the iOS 4.1 bug that caused all iPhone alarms in Europe to go off one hour late on a Monday in 2010.
PC World - iPhone Alarm Bug Has Europe Waking 1 Hour Late

I can't rely on my iPhone or Apple Watch for calendar and alarm stuff.

I have experienced way too many weirdness issues.

Sometimes it's difficult to have the Apple Watch display the TIME OF DAY! Ridiculous.

We travel between 2 homes - one in USA and one in Canada and different time zones and granted, one of the time zones is Saskatchewan, and the other is Arizona - maybe neither of them change for daylight savings time I do not really know - but the computers should know! - no matter how hard I try to make a calendar event a few months ahead for a particular time zone - by the time it comes up and I have travelled to the other location, I simply CANNOT depend on my calendar appointments. My fix is to write the time in the name of the event, and it's usually shown on the calendar one hour ahead or behind, almost randomly.

I have had quiet or silent alarms nearly causing me to sleep in to catch a flight. It is HORRIBLE.

Wake up Apple. You are one of the biggest companies, but can't seem to get solid time zones figured out?

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
This is just working exactly like Apple's development tools. In Xcode errors sometimes pop up for no reason and sometimes the errors don't show at all.

I've had projects that compile and run, then with no changes, fail to run the next time because of compiler errors. Apple development tools are terrible these days and I'm pretty sure this leads to lots of problems in Apple's Apps.

zehoo

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2015
This happened recently to me, fortunately I usually set 5+ alarms to make sure I get up (or maybe to snooze longer). I thought it was strange that it didn’t go off since I woke up just before it was supposed to go off.

Yammabot

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
Northern NJ
iOS seems more like a hobby. It’s never finished and never works quite right. We need a GOOD competitor to get things going again. Also if the EU could come down of their power mad tirade causing these companies to re work their products, that would be nice! I just want to know where does all the money go from the millions in fines? Is there a forensic accounting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.