Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queues

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2020
FINALLY. I’ve been waiting for this to be addressed since I first updated to iOS 17.

Lyrca

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2017
France
As a developer it blows my mind how something like this can get past any non regression testing. I get that delivering new features/fixes can break basic functionalities but not catching such a malfunction during a test cycle is very surprising.

80s Fan

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
When Apple corrects this, I would love it if the bugs in Nightstand get corrected as well. I suppose it's a totally separate issue but....

Reactions: snek

philstubbington

macrumors 6502
I don’t see what the issue is… we’ve got alarms set on both our iPhones, watches, HomePods, iPad and a solar powered battery clock in case of power cuts 😂

The most annoying thing used to be our radio which in a power cut would default to FM when the power came back on in the middle of the night.

Squirrrrel

Suspended
Apr 24, 2024
This hasn’t been working for me for quite some time. I had to get a regular alarm clock, which makes a horrifying noise.

WB2Colorado

macrumors demi-god
Aug 1, 2008
Durango, Colorado
This is not a new issue and has been a reoccurring bug in the clock app for years. I had to stop relying on my iPhone or any Apple devices as my alarm clock because all of my alarms would eventually break and not wake me up.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Sigh. Apple…iOS 18 will likely be a mess. I am afraid of when they really overhaul it with iOS 20 or so.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004

Apple today said it is working on a fix for an iPhone software bug that has resulted in some alarms in the Clock app failing to play a sound at the set time for some users recently, according to NBC's Emilie Ikeda and The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern.

StandBy-iOS-17.jpg

The issue was highlighted by the TODAY Show on NBC this morning after gaining traction on social media platforms like TikTok. It is unclear how many iPhone users have experienced this issue, but not everyone is affected. While some TikTok users allege that the iPhone's Attention Aware feature has contributed to the problem, Apple did not reveal a specific cause.

The promised fix could be included in a future software update, such as iOS 17.4.2 or iOS 17.5, but Apple did not provide a timeframe for a resolution.

Article Link: Is Your iPhone's Alarm Not Playing a Sound? Apple Working on Fix

Oh, so maybe I'm NOT sleeping through my alarm all the time? Was getting to the point where I was going to buy an alarm clock for the first time in a decade.

Huh.

I mean, ever since iOS 17, the vibrate is 50% weaker and the alarm audio is at least 50% lower no matter what I do?

But now alarms aren't working at all?

SMFH

Maybe they'll fix the vibrate being weak as crap and the alarm audio being too low too?

Or is that too much to ask???

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I never rely solely on my iPhone Alarm. Apparently designing an alarm clock app is the hardest thing on earth, because this bugs keeps resurfacing constantly, like clockwork 😆.

I see what you did there...

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…]. It's what most customers have been asking for for years. It's old, tired, and in today's environment, childish and immature in its UI.
A citation would be nice considering you have said “most customers”.
New leadership would help get things back on path with this company.
That will happen when Tim Cook retires.
It's odd to say, but it seems Apple is becoming our grandparent's tech company...
So what’s my parents tech company? Meta?

Reactions: Pezimak

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Mine has sometimes been playing sound at the lowest possible volume instead of the normal loud alarm sound. I don't know if this counts, and it could be because it sees I'm already looking at my phone when the alarm goes off.

Yeah, the alarm audio dropped ~50% when I upgraded to iOS 17. Vibrate got 50% weaker too? Oh, and my custom vibrate for important numbers stopped working too now that I think about it..

SMFH

Should have stayed with iOS 16 I guess..

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
I’ve been wondering if I’ve been having sleep issues and sleeping right through some of them. Glad I have the millennial gene to set about 6 of them.

Yup.. I always used to set three.. now up to 6.. thought for sure I was sleeping through mine as well.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
Back in the days there was a bug with my 6s when I didn’t receive the calls. I looked kinda dumb when I explained to people that it was not me but my iPhone. And this bug never went public somehow but was persistent through 2 major iOS versions and was removed only with iOS 13.

And now they break alarm. I just cannot understand how they manage to break core system utilities.

Hopefully I don’t update anymore so my alarm is ok😃 My update would be upgrade to a new device. Better than being beta tester for all these nasty bugs

Reactions: jwdsail

ambientdaw

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2016
Sonoma County CA
If you are experiencing this problem, try turning off the Attention Awareness Feature. Settings > Face ID & Passcode > toggle off said feature. Please test and report back.
I have had this bug multiple times using the Timer which I used instead of Alarms. No sound ever played. I do not use Attention Awareness. Alarms so far has worked for me lately without bugs but I do not use it often.

Reactions: jwdsail
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.