Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
I've had issues for ages with the iPhone alarm failing. It simply cant be trusted. Worked fine in 2007. When I set an alarm and it is active, it should loudly sound to wake me up, do not disturb be damned. Maybe have a "wake up alarm" setting to be explicit and differentiate it from a reminder alarm that I might not want to sound when on do not disturb. Too many bells an whistles are screwing up basic functions.

Reactions: Altis and jwdsail

krakenrelease

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2020
Recently? This has been a problem for YEARS for me. I can’t tell you how many times I haven’t woken up on time using Apples alarm. It takes TikTok to let Apple know when something needs to be fixed? Apple’s software quality has taken a nose dive these days.

I downloaded Alarmy for a nice loud annoying alarm.

Reactions: wrdwmn

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
For me it plays the wrong sound and I have to go back and check the setting and it’s correct.

Reactions: jwdsail

TechRemarker

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
I've been on every beta, and noticed this issue that started at least months ago, can't remember when exactly. But every morning my alarm is set (sleep schedule setup) but the alarm sounds never goes off (unless I have volume on), but my phone for a decade has always been in silent mode, but alarms before always still went off properly. And already check sleep settings to make sure alarm sound and volume was enabled properly. Glad to see it's a bug affecting others. Luckily 90% of the time my body wakes up a few minutes before it's set to go off anyway, but if very tired, then I don't wake up.

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
If you are experiencing this problem, try turning off the Attention Awareness Feature. Settings > Face ID & Passcode > toggle off said feature. Please test and report back.
I've been having this issue for months, if not a year or so (not sure when it started as I kept second guessing myself until I started waking before the alarm and (not) hearing it - then getting my wife to confirm that the alarm would start playing quietly, then all but fade out).,

Eventually - just last week - I remembered to do some searching and came across the attention awareness issue. I turned the feature off and it's worked fine ever since. I don't know if this is the problem Apple are referring to, but I know a lot of people have experienced it.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The second most valuable company in the world, ladies and gentlemen.

I just can't stop thinking about the story recently about Tim and Jony having a demo given to them of the Apple Car and them going through that little pretend game with no actual car, and people impersonating Siri, and Jony asking them questions like he was talking to Siri.

They live in a fantasy world. I cannot imagine what it must be like to be part the senior leadership of such a massive organization with such resources. And Californian, to boot.

I'm waiting for the corporate culture pendulum to swing back a little, waiting with a tiny bit of hope. At some point they have got to realize that all this metric chasing and corporate nonsense is hurting their actual products...right?

Not to invoke it but it's a good example. I believe Steve Jobs (and probably Bill Gates) personally used their own products. I get a feeling like the current Apple senior management don't actually use their own products extensively enough to notice the real issues anymore. They all have assistants for that now. Everyone they personally text uses iMessage, they have extremely expensive home theaters and not an Apple TV, etc.

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
This has been happening to me and I just assumed I had done something wrong.

How The F*** does this keep happening? Did they decide they like the attention the first three or four times it made mainstream news?

I'll pick these two out of a million to say that after this happened to me once and really caused problems for me, I no longer rely on the iPhone alarm. Point releases have been randomly breaking it for years now.

If you can do it, get some Hue or similar lights and use the wakeup feature. Especially in winter, waking up to a gently increasing light is the absolute best way to wake up in the morning. And I've yet to have the Hue schedule fail me unless I purposely turn it off for a holiday and forget to turn it back on. Fortunately that day the iPhone alarm I still have set did in fact work properly.

Reactions: bigheaddoug

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009

Apple today said it is working on a fix for an iPhone software bug that has resulted in some alarms in the Clock app failing to play a sound at the set time for some users recently, according to NBC's Emilie Ikeda and The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern.

StandBy-iOS-17.jpg

The issue was highlighted by the TODAY Show on NBC this morning after gaining traction on social media platforms like TikTok. It is unclear how many iPhone users have experienced this issue, but not everyone is affected. While some TikTok users allege that the iPhone's Attention Aware feature has contributed to the problem, Apple did not reveal a specific cause.

The promised fix could be included in a future software update, such as iOS 17.4.2 or iOS 17.5, but Apple did not provide a timeframe for a resolution.

Article Link: Is Your iPhone's Alarm Not Playing a Sound? Apple Working on Fix
This has been happening on and off for me for so long I assumed it was some crappy “feature” that I didn’t understand or know how to turn off.

Rhyman

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2024
The problem extends far beyond alarms. I have had many issues with the sleep settings (which have a terrible interface to begin with) and with the Do Not Disturb focus. The focus randomly changes settings, comes on in the middle of the day and other random times causing me to miss calls. This happens even when the Do Not Disturb settings are tunred completely off. Multiple calls to Apple have not fixed the isse.

thewill586

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2009
This has been happening to me every once in a while for YEARS. Reminds me of the iOS 4.1 bug that caused all iPhone alarms in Europe to go off one hour late on a Monday in 2010.
PC World - iPhone Alarm Bug Has Europe Waking 1 Hour Late
same here. i missed a flight about a decade ago because of this bug. i did notice that songs for alarms need to be downloaded onto the iphone. if not, the iphone just can’t stream it

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I use the alarm heavily and I've never had a problem, I wonder what the determining factor is.

beano

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2022
Shipping the nightstand mode, with nightstand accessories, with a TrueDepth sensor capable of reading your face at any orientation, and NOT disabling or adjusting the attention aware silence feature was a very silly oversight. A single glance at your phone with half an eye open is all it takes to permanently mute the alarm until it eventually times out. A design oversight that almost cost me my job!

• Wow
Reactions: gusmula

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Expecting Apple to fix this immediately. Have not faced this issue. Attention Aware feature could very well be the culprit.

rurounihana

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Shouldn't software updates actually fix issues rather than introduce more problems?

I miss iOS 9 and 10. Easy and simple, no issues at all.

Reactions: wrdwmn

Star Brood

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
I've been using the Health app on the iPhone for alarms for years, and I would recommend anybody else to do the exact thing. It is far less jarring, more consistent, and most importantly, the alarm sound options are actually sane and don't instantly trigger the adrenaline.

MrCubes

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
I've been using the Health app on the iPhone for alarms for years, and I would recommend anybody else to do the exact thing. It is far less jarring, more consistent, and most importantly, the alarm sound options are actually sane and don't instantly trigger the adrenaline.
But still suffers from the attention awareness issue (I use the Health app's sleep/ wake alarm)

Qubelek

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
My phone randomly (once per 2 weeks) mutes itself. I have volume level all the way down in “sound and haptics”. Of course I have “change with buttons” option disabled.
Today my phone refused to charge when I plugged my charging cable. I had to restart it and then it started to charge. Wtf

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
LONG OVERDUE. I’ve reported this issue for years. It still hasn’t been fixed but finally now they acknowledge it.. literally just test the alarm by setting one a minute ahead. While it’s going off, have someone call your phone or some type of notification. Your alarm will not resume.

greg624

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2013
Indiana
Also.. attention aware is NOT the issue. Because if that was the case the sound would be low, not completely off!

wrdwmn

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2024
Years of notification fails here (call, text, and other), across two iPhones and numerous system updates.

After countless support sessions and Genius Bars in two states, no fix from the company and no acknowledgement that there is a problem -- but thanks to a fellow user, for now it seems I can have Bluetooth or I can have a phone that rings, but not both.

For $700 one could buy quite a few alarm clocks and flip phones that actually perform their essential functions.

Reactions: hooptyuber
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.