Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest iPad Air and iPad Pro models feature a new Battery Health menu in the Settings app that is not available on older iPads, and which includes options that were once limited to iPhone 15 models.

M4-iPad-Pro-and-Air-Feature.jpg

As confirmed by iCulture, visiting Settings ➝ Battery on the new iPads shows a new Battery Health menu that lists Battery Health (with a readout such as "Normal"), Maximum Capacity, Cycle Count, and a 80% Limit charging optimization option. Users can also see details about when the battery was produced and when it was first used.

Code previously found in iPadOS 17.5 beta software referenced the Battery Health menu, and it was indeed suggested that it may be limited to Apple's new iPads. Notably, the Cycle Count readout and the option to more strictly prevent charging beyond 80% were up until now exclusive features of the iPhone 15 series, and cannot be found on older iPhones either.

iculture-ipad-2024-battery-health-menu.jpg
Image credit: iCulture

The 80% Limit is separate from the Optimized Battery Charging feature on earlier iPhones, which intelligently delays charging past 80% until a more appropriate time by learning the device's daily charging routine. When the 80% hard limit is enabled, the iPad will never charge beyond that percentage, except on rare occasions to "maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates." Apple says reducing the time that a battery is fully charged can reduce the wear on the battery and improve its lifespan.

Article Link: New iPad Air and iPad Pro Feature Battery Health Menu Including Cycle Count and 80% Charging Limit Option

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
Why not on older devices? Seems pretty simple to install over an update.
I expect that a lot of people may be disheartened or pleasantly surprised at the values shown on their older iPad. Perhaps leading to less or more orders. It may be a gamble Apple was not willing to make right now because it could generate a lot of new orders or fewer.

Imagine your “vintage” 2017 5th Gen iPad showing the battery life still in the low 80’s? You may not want to replace for the new M4.

Or on the flip side, you see your 9th Gen 2021 already in the 70’s or worse.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Literally no reason for the older ones not to have it
You mean there’s no hardware difference that could explain why this is limited to the newest iPads?

Edit: Anyone downvoting should reply and provide evidence that this is a software-only limitation and not hardware in any way. I’m not saying there definitely is a hardware difference, just that there might be. People saying it's only software have as much evidence as I have saying it might be a hardware limitation.

Last edited:

MiBook84

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
And still no multi user login screen as on a mac. A keyboard that cost more than a cheap tablet, and makes it thicker than a Mac - so you want both. I am getting a bit tired of this one device per human concept - and yes I know you can use an MDM solution for schools etc that will pull user profiles and delete them after use, but come on. Should that be necessary? A company priding themselves for security is also the reason everyone is giving everyone their security code so the iPad can be used by other people. Just give us a guest account and multi user possibility. The entire OS is built on a foundation that has it, how hard can it be?

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
You can already do this for many years with third party apps
Those apps are doing a software-controlled limit. This appears there might be a new hardware controller built into the SoC (unless someone has evidence that it's software only?).

Edit: I’m not saying it is definitely a hardware difference, just that it appears it might be.

This is similar to the iPhone 15 80% setting: https://support.apple.com/en-us/108055

That reads like there’s a specific hardware part involved in the charging of the newest devices instead of the standard machine learning optimized charging.

Last edited:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I expect that a lot of people may be disheartened or pleasantly surprised at the values shown on their older iPad. Perhaps leading to less or more orders. It may be a gamble Apple was not willing to make right now because it could generate a lot of new orders or fewer.

Imagine your “vintage” 2017 5th Gen iPad showing the battery life still in the low 80’s? You may not want to replace for the new M4.

Or on the flip side, you see your 9th Gen 2021 already in the 70’s or worse.
Other reasons aside, people aren’t going to upgrade just because they see the number. People will upgrade when the actual battery life doesn't meet their needs.

alongdingdong

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2014
Iphone 13 mini user here and i cannot see the cycles. I feel this is typical apple, i am pretty sure the cycles are somewhere buried in the analytic logs on my phone regardless...

I dont think having a visibility on the cycles is arbitrary because i honestly feel they play too much with the margins in the battery health percentage to make it look more positive, and if i had cycles i could better gauge the actual health of my battery and trajectory based on whitepapers on battery cycles and lifespan.

Especially because it is a iPhone Mini, you have to keep the battery more optimal to maintain a certain level of quality of the phone during the day. I dont mind doing a battery replacement but if apple pushes me to 80% health and in practice it has a deteriated experience after 1/2 years, it is to me very worth while to upgrade the battery to maintain that level of iphone experience you had when you purchased it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.