Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
I love this feature on my 15 Pro Max. I have no doubt that the only reason I've managed to maintain perfect 100% max capacity is because I've always had the 80% hard cap on charging enabled since I got it on launch day last September. Eight months and counting without losing even 1% of overall health is a testament to the power of this little feature. And being a Max model, I can easily sacrifice the 20% battery life and easily get well into the next day on a single charge, if not the entire next day.

Reactions: kwokaaron

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Regarding many of the other forum members' comments about why this isn't also coming to older iPhones and iPads, I am inclined to agree that it is an unnecessary move on Apple's part to seemingly software-lock this ability in what appears to be a rather petty move of forcing owners of older devices to upgrade to the latest and greatest model.

That being said, and just playing devil's advocate here, but is it possible this is actually not the usual Apple BS we think it is? I can't help but wonder if perhaps there is some legitimate reason they can't roll this out to older devices retroactively. Like maybe it has something to do with starting with a clean slate of this particular generation's battery assembly or something like that? We all know Apple wants control over as much of the supply chain and manufacturing process for all of their products and their individual components as possible, but could it be that they don't want to take the chance of getting it wrong with their battery partners so it was easier just to start with these latest generations where they can fully implement the health monitoring metrics exactly how they want to?

I'm certainly no chemical engineer or battery expert by any means but I know their inner workings and mastering quality control is nothing short of intricate, so that's why I'd be curious to hear from someone more knowledgeable than myself. Hell, even a short press release from Apple's PR department would be better than nothing.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
The entire OS is built on a foundation that has it, how hard can it be?
As hard as convincing shareholders To give up 10% of their ROI in the next 2 years so Apple can introduce This battery health feature to older iPads.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
I am inclined to agree that it is an unnecessary move on Apple's part to seemingly software-lock this ability in what appears to be a rather petty move of forcing owners of older devices to upgrade to the latest and greatest model.

This makes no sense to me—you think there are actually people who would buy a new device just to check the battery health? Please.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
And still no multi user login screen as on a mac. A keyboard that cost more than a cheap tablet, and makes it thicker than a Mac - so you want both. I am getting a bit tired of this one device per human concept - and yes I know you can use an MDM solution for schools etc that will pull user profiles and delete them after use, but come on. Should that be necessary? A company priding themselves for security is also the reason everyone is giving everyone their security code so the iPad can be used by other people. Just give us a guest account and multi user possibility. The entire OS is built on a foundation that has it, how hard can it be?

Wait until WWDC, then you can complain about all the software features Apple still doesn’t add 😂

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
There obviously is a reason, we just don’t know what it is; Apple has no incentive to artificially restrict this to newer devices.
Apple does have incentive to restrict it artificially (sell more newer devices). I happen to think Apple isn’t restricting this feature with software (it’s a hardware issue), but others clearly think it’s just a money grab. All assumptions are based on incomplete knowledge, as you insightfully pointed out.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Apple does have incentive to restrict it artificially (sell more newer devices). I happen to think Apple isn’t restricting this feature with software (it’s a hardware issue), but others clearly think it’s just a money grab. All assumptions are based on incomplete knowledge, as you insightfully pointed out.

But for that to be true you’d have to accept that this “feature” drives upgrades, which is frankly insane. I feel very confident saying there is not one solitary human who would buy a new iOS device to get cycle counts. Particularly considering that anyone sophisticated enough to even know what cycle counts are is also likely to know you can get effectively the same info with CoconutBattery.

Last edited:

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
This makes no sense to me—you think there are actually people who would buy a new device just to check the battery health? Please.
It irks me to no end when people completely disregard the rest of my comment and single out a specific part of it to chastise out of context in an attempt to look argumentatively superior.

In that same comment I went on to say that it might be entirely innocuous and may very well have nothing to do with what others have speculated is Apple trying to upsell customers with a simple but helpful feature. And if they are in fact artificially limiting that ability, which really does nothing more than offer a bit of quality-of-life improvement for the customer in the long term, then I'd be curious as to why they would opt to do that - is it for good reason or just because?

So chill out ✋🤚

Sevendaymelee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2016
You know, if they just switched to LFP, they wouldn't have to worry about the whole 80% thing. Those types of batteries can be charged to 100% every single time.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
I wish the watches would switch to an 80% battery limit instead of the smart charging. The nice thing about the smart charging is that if you have a long workout planned you continue charging with one press. But the bad thing is that it still charges to 100% most the time.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
It irks me to no end when people completely disregard the rest of my comment and single out a specific part of it to chastise out of context in an attempt to look argumentatively superior.

In that same comment I went on to say that it might be entirely innocuous and may very well have nothing to do with what others have speculated is Apple trying to upsell customers with a simple but helpful feature. And if they are in fact artificially limiting that ability, which really does nothing more than offer a bit of quality-of-life improvement for the customer in the long term, then I'd be curious as to why they would opt to do that - is it for good reason or just because?

So chill out ✋🤚

I think the only person not chill here is you. And if it irks you so much you should be more clear in your communication—when someone says they’re “playing devil’s advocate,” as you did, that means they don’t actually believe what follows. That is, you did say it might be entirely innocuous but made it very clear from the start that you are “inclined to believe” Apple is artificially restricting the feature.

Regardless, I’m entirely chill and was just disagreeing with your assessment.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Time to make fun out of it as it was done with battery % icon on LCD iPhones, notch on Mac at first time being all the time visible (God Bless all notch hiding apps creators!) and so on…

I am really tired of Software gatekeeping. What would they loose with switch? What extra chip it needs? :D All the info is already in governor FFS…

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
It would be nice if iOS/iPadOS 18 allowed some of these features on older devices as well.
It would be nice, but Apple needs to squeeze out as many exclusive features on new devices to entice users to upgrade as possible given the meh hardware upgrades. That’s the reason my more than capable 14 Pro doesn’t have the 24mp option when taking photos. Forget about the 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max, even a iPhone 15 with the same A16 Pro and 6GB of RAM as my 14 Pro can do that.

jmonster

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2022
Everyone saying there is no reason is ignoring the obvious reason of $$$$

believe it or not they make money off battery replacements and save money my avoiding iPad replacements (it's really difficult to buy an iPad battery replacement because they do it by giving you a replacement iPad)

So now they can say they offer this great feature while deferring its impact another 3-10y since it'll be that long until a sizable population has old phones with this feature

That said! My iPhone 15 Pro still reports 100% health and it was born Oct 2023. So I'm very pleased Apple is offering it at all

JitteryJimmy

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2008
Great, was hoping for that. Don't know why this is a thing only on latest iPhones and iPads, though.
Probably has to do with the capabilities of the charge management chip, but I haven't seen its spec sheet. Someone in the charge controller silicon biz would be able to tell us.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
This charge cycle and 80% limit should be available on all iphones and not just starting with the 15 phones

James

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
Just amazed, why is this very basic feature, was made exclusively? Has Apple been SO POOR on innovation? 🙃🙃🙃

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Great, now you need either an M4 or an M2 in order to know your battery health.

Oh, wait! My M2 iPad Pro… HAS AN M2!
Only the latest iPad Air with the M2 chip has this feature. Nowhere in the article does it state last generation iPad Pro's with M2 get it..

"Apple's latest iPad Air and iPad Pro models feature a new Battery Health menu in the Settings app that is not available on older iPads, and which includes options that were once limited to iPhone 15 models"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.