Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Nice to see this additional battery information. Would have been good if this was made available to older iPads as well

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wish my Mac and iPhone had the same feature. The "smart" battery health feature rarely ever deems it necessary to stop the battery from charging beyond 80%. If you do it manually and take it off the charger at 80%, then you're just exchanging battery wear from overcharging with battery wear from putting unnecessary cycles in it (once it's off the charger, it starts to drain).

Reactions: xpxp2002

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Only the latest iPad Air with the M2 chip has this feature. Nowhere in the article does it state last generation iPad Pro's with M2 get it..

"Apple's latest iPad Air and iPad Pro models feature a new Battery Health menu in the Settings app that is not available on older iPads, and which includes options that were once limited to iPhone 15 models"
Thanks for the clarification, but it was sarcasm.

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
I think the only person not chill here is you. And if it irks you so much you should be more clear in your communication—when someone says they’re “playing devil’s advocate,” as you did, that means they don’t actually believe what follows. That is, you did say it might be entirely innocuous but made it very clear from the start that you are “inclined to believe” Apple is artificially restricting the feature.

Regardless, I’m entirely chill and was just disagreeing with your assessment.
Yes, I am inclined to believe it given Apple's track record for similar practices. That's called precedent. It's not my fault Apple pulls this **** so much that it's a safe assumption more often than not.

And yes, the ability to prolong the battery lifespan in their device will of course be appealing to many customers as a significant feature, especially those with older devices and thus have aging batteries experiencing reduced time between charges. Are you kidding?

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
Yes, I am inclined to believe it given Apple's track record for similar practices. That's called precedent. It's not my fault Apple pulls this **** so much that it's a safe assumption more often than not.

And yes, the ability to prolong the battery lifespan in their device will of course be appealing to many customers as a significant feature, especially those with older devices and thus have aging batteries experiencing reduced time between charges. Are you kidding?

Ok so you pitched a fit about me taking the precise meaning from your original post that you now admit was intended, and are now doubling down on that meaning. Great waste of time this has been.

So your argument is that Apple is artificially restricting this feature so that users with older devices will upgrade...to get better battery life on their older devices? No amount of dissembling will make your position make sense here.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
So your argument is that Apple is artificially restricting this feature so that users with older devices will upgrade...to get better battery life on their older devices? No amount of dissembling will make your position make sense here.
FW was saying that if Apple provides a battery-prolonging feature to older devices, then those owners may delay upgrading.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
FW was saying that if Apple provides a battery-prolonging feature to older devices, then those owners may delay upgrading.

Ah yeah, good point. Though I maintain any potential benefits of this feature would have no effect on upgrades whatsoever.

FineWoven

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2023
Ok so you pitched a fit about me taking the precise meaning from your original post that you now admit was intended, and are now doubling down on that meaning. Great waste of time this has been.

I'm just rolling with what you give me, bud. If you're going to pick out parts of my comment for me to address then I have to address those. I never said at any point that I didn't believe either case was implausible, just that given Apple's history of unnecessarily gatekeeping helpful features, it's inherently the more likely answer.

Do you upgrade to every new product in every one of the categories that you own when they're released? Idk maybe you do. But most people don't which means they're not getting a fresh battery when they need one, so if you can't see why that's a d🍆ck move on Apple's part to not offer the ability to those customers who are most in need of prolonging the lifespan of their already diminishing battery cells so they must upgrade to a new device simply because it'll have a new battery, then Apple is making a huge mistake by not hiring you for one of their product strategy teams.

jarman92

macrumors 65832
Nov 13, 2014
I'm just rolling with what you give me, bud. If you're going to pick out parts of my comment for me to address then I have to address those. I never said at any point that I didn't believe either case was implausible, just that given Apple's history of unnecessarily gatekeeping helpful features, it's inherently the more likely answer.

Do you upgrade to every new product in every one of the categories that you own when they're released? Idk maybe you do. But most people don't which means they're not getting a fresh battery when they need one, so if you can't see why that's a d🍆ck move on Apple's part to not offer the ability to those customers who are most in need of prolonging the lifespan of their already diminishing battery cells so they must upgrade to a new device simply because it'll have a new battery, then Apple is making a huge mistake by not hiring you for one of their product strategy teams.

I think you’re severely misunderstanding what this “feature” actually does. It provides charge cycle counts and the ability to limit charge to 80%. Why the hell would someone with an already-degraded battery want to limit their battery more? It makes no sense. It only prolongs battery life if you start using it when the battery is new, not when it’s already at the end of its life.

The only solution for a degraded battery is a new battery, and Apple offers both full- and self-service options for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.