Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
That's nasty. I wonder if it's real, I suppose seeing if Apple legal remove it will tell us.

Actually I doubt it is, how would those bookmarks work? Are they like super-bookmarks? Plus Safari is about one of the only applications that follows Apple's HID for metal.

I'm on Jag at the moment but I'm sure Panther's Safari is above v94.

AppleMatt

moosecat

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2002
Well, I don't know if it's been removed or if I'm just an idiot, but I don't see it. (Top story is about the Panther icons.)

synthetickittie

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2002
Boston
Re: Just install Metallifizer

Originally posted by syrreg
http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/metallifizer/

Just install it for free from Unsanity and you can make any Aqua app use Metallic windows and vice versa.

Hoodwinked again by the so-called "Appleinsider"?

the only thing different in that picture of safari is not only that is aqua themed but the tabs have changed into the way they are in some panther menus and I dont believe that hack would do that as well.

TylerL

macrumors regular
Jan 2, 2002
The difference between this and a simple .nib file mod is the tabs.
Safari always used its own code for tabs, but this picture shows Safari using the standard Panther set of tabs.
That in itself is either good photoshop or some crazy InterfaceBuilder action.

EDIT: Bah. I get distracted, and someone beats me to my own answer...

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
i actually really like the look of that new interface, i hope it happens.

you know what apple should do is make like and on off switch for each application for changing form aqua to metal...then people could pick and choose. theres seems to be a ridiculous amout of criticism for both.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: New Safari Interface?

Originally posted by Macrumors
AppleInsider posts a screenshot of Safari with an alternate interface -- no metal, but using a Panther-based Aqua theme. The version is "from an unknown origin".

THIS IS WHY IT'S FAKE

Because when Apple introduced Tabs in Safari they said how it was different from the rest because the tabs went from left to right - intelligently. IE, not from the middle out like Netscape. This pics shows middle out, so must be wrong.
H

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
Fake. The last released version does not look like that. Also, note the title bar stepping down on the buttons? That was an effect from the metallifizer hack because Apple didn't create the window with a title bar in mind so the space is limited. So why would Apple redesign the tabs but not add a few pixels above the buttons? Simple. Because this is a fake.

pyrotoaster

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2002
Oak Park, IL
This has got to be fake. It's probably just a screen shot from someone who flipped their Safari interface to Aqua and is also running Panther (or it's Photoshopped).

Just to clear up the whole "tab" thing: All tabs in Panther (Safari being the exception) look like "button tabs".

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2003
I think its pretty cool. OS X was meant to be aqua, not metal. but it wont match with the g5 casing now...oh well.

blogo

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2002
Also, how are you supposed to close the tabs (without keyboard shortcuts)? I think its very bad GUI work and nothing Apple would ever allow.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I prefer metal, myself. I agree that if there were some sort of "appearance theme"control allowing the user to switch from aqua/metal, it would be ideal. It seems that people either really love metal or really hate it. I just happen to be one of those who love it.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The toolbar buttons hit the title bar. The new "tabs" have an ugly grey space beneath them, and lots of wasted space above them.

But I suppose Apple could make such a monster internally just to play with rough ideas.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
New search field

Have you noticed the search field on the top-right? It looks like you will be able to select the search engine just like the latest iCab. It is propably a fake but that is one feature from iCab I would like to see implemented in all the major browsers.

soosy

macrumors regular
May 6, 2002
This revives my hope for themes in Panther.

Safari metal is fine.

Finder metal is not.

rogueimage

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2003
Boulder, Colorado
Re: New search field

Originally posted by Sol
Have you noticed the search field on the top-right? It looks like you will be able to select the search engine just like the latest iCab. It is propably a fake but that is one feature from iCab I would like to see implemented in all the major browsers.

It looks exactly like the current Google search field. The popup menu lists previous searches, not other search engines.

As has been noted, the tabs have no close button. They can't possibly be real. I didn't know Apple's position on tab starting from the middle (thanks gotohamish), but I agree that tabs should start from the left, and this is another reason it can't be real.

macfreak

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2001
Virginia
Re: New Safari Interface?

Originally posted by Macrumors
AppleInsider posts a screenshot of Safari with an alternate interface -- no metal, but using a Panther-based Aqua theme. The version is "from an unknown origin".

Icky! What did they do to Safari?! Once again, the result of trying to "improve" it. Why didn't they just keep the brushed metal look? Brushed metal fits with their other iApps. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.