Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
Not at all. I just want one nice feature which you can get on a sub-$200 phone or sub-$800 laptop. Why does 120hz need to be a pro feature — because Apple decided to call it ProMotion?
I randomly replied to your post. Fact is, in this thread people have more or less complained that the Air is “lacking” basically every single feature of the Pro. If we give the Air all the features people think it is “lacking”, it becomes the MacBook Pro.

Yes, Mac features can be gotten for cheap elsewhere. Macs are exoensive. Get over it.
The fact that the base M3 MBP with 8gb of RAM and 120hz exists, is a joke. What “pro” is buying that?
Just one paragraph ago you were the one (rightfully) ridiculing the notion of evaluating a feature based on Apple’s decision to call it “Pro”.

Reactions: Tagbert

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
What exactly are you looking for from generation to generation? And yes there seems to be plenty of griping that the differences between the M2 and M3 are only marginal gains.
By people with very short attention spans.

Velli

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2013
Exactly these apps I use for my daily work with my G3 HP from 2016? with 8GM RAM and I never had RAM problems. That means that you better use a windows Notebook for microsoft apps. And/or Sonoma is really really inefficient with RAM.
I tested several Office apps with large files on my M1 Air with 8GB vs my 16 GB Lenovo, and the Air was snappier. For instance, the Lenovo lagged when navigating around a large PowerPoint file, where the Air did not. The Lenovo did open the apps slightly faster, but that has much less impact on daily work than actually using the app.

Edit: Not to mention one area where I constantly forget that my Lenovo is not a Mac: I forget to reboot/shut down regularly, which means that some time every other week or so something stops working, and I need to reboot to make something work. Sometimes at very inconvenient times.

There’s no question I would recommend people to get a 16 GB version if using it for actual work, but saying the 8GB version is useless is hyperbole. It is a LOT faster (relatively speaking) than most, if not all, of the computers Apple sold as entry level in the Intel era. It’s probably the best entry computer Apple ever had!

Last edited:

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
For 99.9% of people, I’m not sure what an M3 Air can do that an M1 can’t. Is the tech industry turning into Hollywood…out of new ideas and nothing new to produce aside from updates/remakes?
That is rather bad timing for that post, as most upgrades are traditionally simple spec bumps, but the M3 actually adds hardware ray tracing that the M1 and M2 do not have. It may not turn out to be a hugely important feature, but it is a true hardware distinction, which is more than most upgrades have had over the years.

Reactions: delsoul

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
I’ll jump on the wish wagon with USB-A and Firewire connections.
I've still got some old 3.5" Floppy Disks I'd hate to see go into the landfill, so maybe they could retrofit a drive and support for 68K System 7! And I still have few 5.25", so if they could also add one of those and an Apple ][ emulator, I could do almost everything in one place and play Choplifter! 😀

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
I've still got some old 3.5" Floppy Disks I'd hate to see go into the landfill, so maybe they could retrofit a drive and support for 68K System 7! And I still have few 5.25", so if they could also add one of those and an Apple ][ emulator, I could do almost everything in one place and play Choplifter! 😀
Yes I miss the floppy disks.

ric22

Suspended
Mar 8, 2022
What exactly are you looking for from generation to generation? And yes there seems to be plenty of griping that the differences between the M2 and M3 are only marginal gains.
From one generation to the next? That'll never show enough of a difference to be worth upgrading. Cumulative little gains should add up after 4/5 years to make an upgrade worthwhile then. It has to be more than just SoC gains, though- SSD and RAM must also increase in capacity, for example. Hopefully the screen gets better, battery improves, connectivity improves, SSD gets faster, ports get added, etc. After those 4/5 years the advances must be compelling. Why anyone contemplates an M1 to M3 upgrade unless they need bleeding edge single core CPU speed is beyond me.

Reactions: jonnysods

InnSuu

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2022
Sat through the whole video, skipped the informercial in the middle. I like Dan, his tone and 'tude are spot on for casual and deeper reviews - but this was too light on any useful or new info and heavy on fluff. The whole video content might be summed up in a couple of sentences, one paragraph at the most.

Qubelek

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
Is it true than new Mac’s with M3 don’t have a fan inside and they are getting too hot during work which results in performance drops?

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
Can't speak for M1 or M2, but I am really happy with the new M3.
A big upgrade in every way from my earlier 2018 MBA.

Nor can I see a reason to not take the latest release from Apple when I upgrade.
I rather save some and skip other things that doesn't have big value for me.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is it true than new Mac’s with M3 don’t have a fan inside and they are getting too hot during work which results in performance drops?

First of all, that depends on the work you do. People who have never used one would say it overheats, while people who have one would say that unless your workload is heavy it wont.

But Dan in the video did the MacRumors work including editing and producing videos on a 15” M3 Air and didn’t have any overheating issues. His takeaway was that he underestimated what the Air could do to the point of now recommending it instead of a Pro.

Based on my experience with an M1-Pro, I could do my UX work on an M3 Air without any overheating. My suggestion to anyone who likes the Air body is to get one and put it through their heaviest workload for a week to see if there are any issues.

Reactions: Qubelek

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
The fact that the base M3 MBP with 8gb of RAM and 120hz exists, is a joke. What “pro” is buying that?

I agree as far as the price point and "pro" branding go, but if it had 12 GiB RAM and had a suffix like "Studio" or whatever, I wouldn't object at all. "It's like the Air, but offers a fan for better peak performance, and a much better display and sound system, for $100 / $300 more compared to similarly-specced 13-/15-inch Air" sounds reasonably compelling to me.

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014

The M1/M2/M3 Airs don't have a fan. The Pros do.

Are they getting "too hot during work"? That depends on what you do with them, but I'm leaning towards "no". I have multiple colleagues with one, and they don't complain about them getting hot. On the contrary, they enjoy them a lot. Including throwing tough stuff like compiling software at them.

Reactions: ric22

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
From one generation to the next? That'll never show enough of a difference to be worth upgrading. Cumulative little gains should add up after 4/5 years to make an upgrade worthwhile then. It has to be more than just SoC gains, though- SSD and RAM must also increase in capacity, for example. Hopefully the screen gets better, battery improves, connectivity improves, SSD gets faster, ports get added, etc. After those 4/5 years the advances must be compelling. Why anyone contemplates an M1 to M3 upgrade unless they need bleeding edge single core CPU speed is beyond me.
100%. I have an M1 Max MBP, I have no intention of upgrading for a few more years, just because of how capable the M1 is, but its not because the M2 or M3 aren't good enough, I think the gains they have made are incredible in these past few short years.

Mainsail

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
100%. I have an M1 Max MBP, I have no intention of upgrading for a few more years, just because of how capable the M1 is, but its not because the M2 or M3 aren't good enough, I think the gains they have made are incredible in these past few short years.
I agree. Also, people upgrade for many reasons. Specs are just one possible reason. I have an M2 MBA, so not really motivated by the M3. Furthermore, I would probably not upgrade from an M1 to M3 just for better processor speed or performance. However, some folks might be tempted by MagSafe, improved camera, bigger screen, new form factor, etc.. Personally, I would probably wait a couple of years until my M1 was no longer eligible for MacOS updates.

Nevertheless, Apple knows that computer purchases are motivated by other factors in people's lives. For example, if your children are constantly using your computer for homework, you might give them your M1 to share and buy an M3 for yourself. Buying decisions aren't simply spec comparison exercises, there can be other moving parts.

Last edited:

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
As good as the M1 MBA is, and it is VERY good, I still would opt for at least the M2.

It has a (slightly) bigger and brighter screen (no ProMotion envy from my iPad), and the form factor is fantastic. Feels like an iPad when closed.

And so, that's what I did when it came out and gave my M1 to my daughter.

OwnedByTwoCats

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
I had an order in for an M2 MacBook Air when the M3s were announced. I have a late-2013 MacBook Pro (now idle except when I need to access legacy interfaces), a 2020 11" iPad Pro (2nd Gen) w/ Magic Keyboard, and a 2022 Mac Studio M1 Max.

I thought I could get by with the iPad Pro and Mac Studio replacing the MacBook Pro, but I wanted to run a software development environment on the iPad Pro when I was spending time traveling and learning, but that is not possible. So I started looking at the MacBook Air, and pretty quickly optioned it up (15", 24 GB RAM, 1 TB storage) to a not-so-cheap price point. 12 months same as cash takes a lot of that bite away. One less expensive dinner out with my wife a month. I bought Apple's USB A socket to USB-C plug dongle, and I have a SD-card socket to USB-C plug dongle from the iPad for getting pictures off my camera.

I'm very happy with it, and expect it to last a long time. It does get warm on the bottom center toward the back edge, but never (so far) hot enough that I couldn't support the laptop with my hand on the hot spot and leave it there. Warm, yes, but not hot enough to cause discomfort or burns.

Performance is solid, and more than I really need. I plan to use it for a long time, so it was easy to justify spending more to get a more capable machine.

My 2013 MacBook Pro is 16 GB RAM, and something just felt wrong about buying a new computer with the same amount of RAM I had a decade ago. The M1 maxes out at 16 GB; the M2 and M3 go to 24. Running out of RAM will make the apps on your computer crawl, so I always buy more.

Last edited:

OwnedByTwoCats

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
I am curious what people's choices would be if hard constrained by price:
-M3 w/10-core GPU, 8GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
-M2 w/8-core GPU, 16GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
-M1 w/8-core GPU, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD (which may only be available refurbished and so you get $100 back)

While I am guessing most people on Macrumors are not quite hard constrained on money and would just spend a few extra bucks to get what they want, I think recommendations are more interesting when trading-off specifications rather than money (especially when it's your company's money...).
It was painful when my 2013 MacBook Pro (16 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) filled up. So my floor is 512 GB SSD. How much extra is the M2, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, can you swing that?

Reactions: Torty

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Exactly these apps I use for my daily work with my G3 HP from 2016? with 8GM RAM and I never had RAM problems. That means that you better use a windows Notebook for microsoft apps. And/or Sonoma is really really inefficient with RAM.
I’ve never had any slowness problems with the MS Office apps running and multiple dozens of web pages loaded and sometime with an Afinnity apps, too. And that is on an M1 Air with Sonoma. Not sure that the RAM is that inefficient.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Second this. 15” is great laptop. Questions, why Apple discontinued M2 version (probably it’s just marketing purpose).
They have to do some editing or the number of models they sell would become confusing and the models would compete against each other.

They have the (M3) Pro line with two sizes
They have the (M3) Air line with two sizes
They sell the older version of the smallest (M2) Air as a low cost model.

If they kept the 15” M2 Air around too, that would complicate user choices between it and the other 15” Air.

Reactions: Christopher Kim

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Not at all. I just want one nice feature which you can get on a sub-$200 phone or sub-$800 laptop. Why does 120hz need to be a pro feature — because Apple decided to call it ProMotion?

Have you forgotten the 13” MacBook Pro? It sold for several years in both Intel and Apple Silicon versions and was almost the same specs and performance as the 13” Air. At one time the 13” MBP was Apple's second best selling laptop only behind the 13” Air.

There are people and companies that will only buy a ”pro” machine even though they are price sensitive and their performance needs are modest. Even in the professional world, not everyone needs lots of RAM. A lot of pro users are using MS Office, browsers, and similar apps that don’t really push 8GB very hard. The low end MBP has been able to satisfy that market for a long time even though it seems contradictory.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.