Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Does your iPhone 15 Pro have a sharp edge between the back cover glass and the titanium frame?

• Yes

Votes: 117 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 181 60.7%

• Total voters

zheliforp

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2023
For your own peace of mind, please do cancel your order and walk away from Apple and this forum that you just joined to repeatedly post your freak-out ratings about something you don't even have yet.
I think you consider yourself too important 🤣.hahahahah, really.... dont forget to write same message to everybody who is complaining here!!

• Haha
Reactions: Phone Junky

zheliforp

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2023
You realize a render is always perfect because its not real, right? I mean personally I think this is crazy unless you were being facetious. In that case I am laughing at your sense of humor.
of course they are not real, but they show DESIGN assumptions, they present a product as how it should be. Or I am wrong?

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
For your own peace of mind, please do cancel your order and walk away from Apple and this forum that you just joined to repeatedly post your freak-out ratings about something you don't even have yet.

Wait until he gets it……..then there will be a full thermonuclear melt down! I’m betting on a new thread with at least 25 images and 12 pages of manic ranting.

zheliforp

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2023
Wait until he gets it……..then there will be a full thermonuclear melt down! I’m betting on a new thread with at least 25 images and 12 pages of manic ranting.
There is increase of people with "edges problem" in the survey. Now its over 35%. Dont forget to ask all of them, if they work for Huawei 🤣

Reactions: Calleb

dantay

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2006
UK
There is increase of people with "edges problem" in the survey. Now its over 35%. Dont forget to ask all of them, if they work for Huawei 🤣

Yes but they actually own the phone and have posted SIGNIFICANTLY less than you.

There is definitely an assembly variation issue and I’m sure when it’s more deeply recessed it looks and feels unpleasant.

What will you do if you get a recessed back?

What will you do if you get a unit you are happy with?

I myself have sent many items back to Apple over the years and in general think the QC at Foxconn is pretty poor so I’m not knocking the fact this shouldn’t be happening, it’s poor manufacturing design.

I hope you get one you’re happy with (I did) but looking at the poll you could be in for a disappointing and stressful return loop. Just saying.

Reactions: Moukee

zheliforp

Cancelled
Oct 2, 2023
Yes but they actually own the phone and have posted SIGNIFICANTLY less than you.

There is definitely an assembly variation issue and I’m sure when it’s more deeply recessed it looks and feels unpleasant.

What will you do if you get a recessed back?

What will you do if you get a unit you are happy with?

I myself have sent many items back to Apple over the years and in general think the QC at Foxconn is pretty poor so I’m not knocking the fact this shouldn’t be happening, it’s poor manufacturing design.

I hope you get one you’re happy with (I did) but looking at the poll you could be in for a disappointing and stressful return loop. Just saying.
all true. if its not satisfying, I will return or go to apple store for exchange. Lets hope, they have noticed this quality issue and the more units they produce, the better it is ^^

aria26

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2023
I've noticed a gap between the frame and glass in both sides. I believe this isn't normal, right?

Attachments

• IMG_2030.jpeg
    IMG_2030.jpeg
    292.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_2029.jpeg
    IMG_2029.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 220

Moukee

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2023
I've noticed a gap between the frame and glass in both sides. I believe this isn't normal, right?
It's "normal" in the sense that there are quite a few iPhone 15 Pro (Max) out there with these issues. In your case it's quite extreme though, especially at the front.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
No, it’s not normal.

On my 14 Pro Max there isn’t even a hint that there could ever be a gap there and that’s both sides. iPhones are expensive but fit and finish were always the best. What on earth happened this year?

Return the thing!

That is really bad quality control! This is really unusual coming from China. In fact, India is showing up the Chinese phones when it comes to fit and finish. Originally people here questioned QC issues and wondered if they were Indian manufacture. All Pros are made in China and I’m glad this early attempt at slagging “made in India” phones is finally being put to rest.

Sorry for the rant…

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Small gaps are pretty normal. Until the iPhone can be made out of 1 slab of material there will always be a gap of some kind because the pieces need to fit togther. If you look close enough on most iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches there will be a small gap somewhere on the device.

Now if it bothers you, then return it, but don’t look close enough because you may see it again. Good luck!

aria26

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2023
Small gaps are pretty normal. Until the iPhone can be made out of 1 slab of material there will always be a gap of some kind because the pieces need to fit togther. If you look close enough on most iPhones, iPads, and Apple Watches there will be a small gap somewhere on the device.

Now if it bothers you, then return it, but don’t look close enough because you may see it again. Good luck!
Thank you for your response. In fact, I've checked dozens of pro/pro max in store, and I couldn't see another phone with a gap like mine. As for the back, it seems to vary in every device from what I've seen. I'm wondering if there is another iPhone with a front like mine? I guess I need to hear that this is normal because sending the phone for replacement is a problem as when I contacted Apple, they said they don't have stock for replacement and I need to wait :(

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021

I have to disagree.

My 12 PM and 14 PM and 6S Plus had no gaps of any kind. I’m not anal about these things but this year shows a lack of fit and finish with regard to the pros.

I think titanium was a poor choice for decorative trim. It holds in heat and is harder to work with. That new binding technique to fuse aluminum and titanium is interesting but totally unnecessary for an iPhone.

But whatever, if it works and the quality standard is there then so be it. The problem is the quality standard isn’t there!

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Thank you for your response. In fact, I've checked dozens of pro/pro max in store, and I couldn't see another phone with a gap like mine. As for the back, it seems to vary in every device from what I've seen. I'm wondering if there is another iPhone with a front like mine? I guess I need to hear that this is normal because sending the phone for replacement is a problem as when I contacted Apple, they said they don't have stock for replacement and I need to wait :(

Send it back. You stare at the phone all the time and every time you will notice the gap.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Like I said I would return the phone, but I want to make sure I understand this situation…

1. Noticed a <1mm gap on your Pro/Pro Max
2. Took a macro pic, circled in red with an arrow to show us the problem
3. Go to an Apple Store and looked at dozens of Pro/Pro Max in the store and all are acceptable
4. Come to an Internet forum and ask if this is normal?

Just doesn’t feel right to me. I honestly hope you get an acceptable phone, but don’t look for - dead pixels, screen uniformity issues, PVD coating defects, more panel gaps, dust under the screen, dust in camera modules, loose buttons, sharp edges, and/or scratches on the front/back glass.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: dotatoc

absolutkev

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2016
Meanwhile, the problem with the sharp edges has also been addressed by various YouTubers. Here in Germany, there are two reviews that criticized the same problem. The US YouTuber Greg also addresses it:

Fred Zed

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2019
Florida Unfortunately
No, it’s not normal.

On my 14 Pro Max there isn’t even a hint that there could ever be a gap there and that’s both sides. iPhones are expensive but fit and finish were always the best. What on earth happened this year?

Return the thing!

That is really bad quality control! This is really unusual coming from China. In fact, India is showing up the Chinese phones when it comes to fit and finish. Originally people here questioned QC issues and wondered if they were Indian manufacture. All Pros are made in China and I’m glad this early attempt at slagging “made in India” phones is finally being put to rest.

Sorry for the rant…
QC cutting corners to meet demand. Probably skipping calibration of machinery to meet demand. Its a numbers game for them.

MoonCakeTropics

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
Ok, so I went to the apple store and showed them my 'Gillette' edge to my phone. All the geniuses gathered around and rubbed all over my phone. It was weird. They compared it to some of the more pronounced edges on the display phones. They all agreed mine was way worse and authorized an exchange.

Unfortunately they didnt have any in stock so they gave me the option of a return and buy a new one or expedited exchange. I went for the expedited exchange for 2 reasons. One, I need a phone on hand to do the eSim transfer and dont want to risk losing my number. As there were very few such phones in the program, it somewhat gave me better odds of getting a newer/later phone. They created ticket number so when I called in for the expedited exchange it would just go through without any hassle. This was like last Wednesday.

So it took a while, which weirdly I was hoping for so I could get a later build phone, but I got my phone today. The back is smooooooooth and perfect. Feels really nice.

My hope is that it's just early quality assurance problems and it's being ironed out. But it's night and day difference.

Hope others with the issue get a good resolution as well.

Reactions: dantay and Moukee

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I just picked up my 3rd phone from the Apple Store and finally got a smooth one. It feels so much better against my palm. It’s weird how something so subtle and minuscule can become so noticeable.

itsokjanet

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2023
I just picked up my 3rd phone from the Apple Store and finally got a smooth one. It feels so much better against my palm. It’s weird how something so subtle and minuscule can become so noticeable.
I’m glad you got an acceptable one. I don’t think this is minuscule though. Let’s not undermine the defect here; the edges should be flushed well. You don’t sell a product with annoyances. Period. Apple is making billions every quarter from these phones. We shouldn’t feel bad to get our money worth.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
I’m glad you got an acceptable one. I don’t think this is minuscule though. Let’s not undermine the defect here; the edges should be flushed well. You don’t sell a product with annoyances. Period. Apple is making billions every quarter from these phones. We shouldn’t feel bad to get our money worth.
Oh I agree 100%. I feel like spending over $1,000 for a phone, you should be picky about it. But 3rd time’s a charm I guess. Hopefully they won’t give me a hard time when I return blue #2 tomorrow. They already had to get approval to return the blue #1.

Grobaouche

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2022
Just noticed the same thing on my iPhone 15 Pro received on launch day.
Not a big deal, but mine is "sharper" at the rounded edges where the palm meets the phone, so I can definitely feel it.

DDustiNN

macrumors 68020
Jan 27, 2011
Just noticed the same thing on my iPhone 15 Pro received on launch day.
Not a big deal, but mine is "sharper" at the rounded edges where the palm meets the phone, so I can definitely feel it.
That is exactly where mine was, to the point where it actually left my skin feeling slightly irritated from the scraping (not visibly, but I could still sort of feel it there after using the phone for a while, kinda hard to explain). New one is so perfectly smooth and comfortable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.