Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
all these **** apps pulling things like this. and EU has apple opening up their devices to any and all apps? too bad apple doesn't have just an iPod line up. all this clutter and trash ass stuff being ported over is just going to make it even more dodgy. it would be nice if they enforced the same requires on previous iterations of App Store to the Mac
If there was ever a reason not to allow this, it is TikTok. I say 'sucked in to the EU'. Forget malware. Try TikTok

• Angry
Reactions: Victor Mortimer

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Soon it will be tic-toc-tic-toc-tic-toc…banned :cool:
Not going to happen. It makes too much money. They'll just comply.
Remember the TikTok issue has _nothing_ to do with China and everything to do with its competition (facebook, etc) trying to take them down. Not to mention the government doesn't like that they cant strong arm them into election interference like they can with their competition. It's really despicable. I would rather use TikTok any day over Facebook.

P.S. The only reason TikTok is getting a bad name is because the media is programming that bias into you. The app is curated to what I like, Its short form so I can digest a few things when I have a few minutes to spare, Its high quality as far as design and functionality, It only shows me an Ad in my stream every one in a while and so far I haven't paid them a dime for anything. So China knows I like to watch Jimmy Carr shorts. So what. The app is perfectly fine.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Not going to happen. It makes too much money. They'll just comply.
Remember the TikTok issue has _nothing_ to do with China and everything to do with its competition (facebook, etc) trying to take them down. Not to mention the government doesn't like that they cant strong arm them into election interference like they can with their competition. It's really despicable. I would rather use TikTok any day over Facebook.
TikTok doesn't actually make money. Despite its popularity, it somehow manages to lose money.

ByteDance raked in a record underlying profit last year, overtaking China’s long-reigning tech giants Tencent and Alibaba for the first time even as losses mounted for its fast-growing TikTok business unit.

[ . . . ]

Any forced sale or ban of TikTok would hit ByteDance’s potential earnings. Although it generated about 80 per cent of its revenues in China last year and TikTok was lossmaking, it nonetheless represents an important future profit engine.

A ByteDance investor in the US said a TikTok ban would not gut the company’s financials based on current earnings. “TikTok is not as material a percentage of ByteDance’s total revenue as people assume. But the ban would be a real loss to future potential given its growth rate,” the investor said.

I agree with you though. TikTok will not be sold. China has said so many times.

summiter

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
TikTok doesn't actually make money. Despite its popularity, it somehow manages to lose money.

ByteDance raked in a record underlying profit last year, overtaking China’s long-reigning tech giants Tencent and Alibaba for the first time even as losses mounted for its fast-growing TikTok business unit.

[ . . . ]

Any forced sale or ban of TikTok would hit ByteDance’s potential earnings. Although it generated about 80 per cent of its revenues in China last year and TikTok was lossmaking, it nonetheless represents an important future profit engine.

A ByteDance investor in the US said a TikTok ban would not gut the company’s financials based on current earnings. “TikTok is not as material a percentage of ByteDance’s total revenue as people assume. But the ban would be a real loss to future potential given its growth rate,” the investor said.

“Lossmaking”

Hardly.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Except they don't. There have been a few times that they either bent the rules or looked the other way for big apps.

AFAIK - that's only speculative gossip from people with an anti-Apple agenda. I truly believe Apple treats every developer the same with equal opportunities to build robust businesses alongside Apple technology products and services.

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013

[ . . . ]

They still have 16B in revenue. A loss isn't necessarily a bad thing. It means you're not paying any taxes for one.

blotchy-veil

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2024
AFAIK - that's only speculative gossip from people with an anti-Apple agenda. I truly believe Apple treats every developer the same with equal opportunities to build robust businesses alongside Apple technology products and services.
They don't bend on the 30% cut, but they absolutely bend on the application of the App Store guidelines. And it's not "anti-Apple speculation". It's been confirmed in court documents.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
Here in Ontario it’s illegal to take any portion of tips. The service industry got that one passed a few years ago. I wonder if Apple would be in violation of the law here.

Except it's not a tip, but currency you can use as a tip if you want. Apple isn't taking a cut of any tips, just charging TikTok for the coins they sell. Iif you consider the purchase price the full value of the tip, then TikTok's cut is illegal since they sell the coin for X but only give a percentage to the urson receiving it,

TikTok agreeed to a contract and is trying to get around it.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
If you agree to a contract and then not paying the money you are contractually owed, that could be considered stealing. Netflix isn't stealing because what they are doing is still within their right according to the rules of the contract. These coin shenanigans aren't.
But if people are purchasing things on the web how is that contractually owed? It’s not like TikTok is setting up it’s own payment system in-app.

Reactions: Victor Mortimer

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The intent here is not to disincentivise small developers from releasing apps from the App Store.

Contrary to what many might believe here, what contributes to the vitality and vibrancy of the App Store aren't the big-name apps like Facebook, YouTube, Netflix or Spotify. Rather, it's the indie developers, and many of them are releasing apps that make no money (because they are free). Which in turns means that they don't pay Apple a cent either.

$99 a year is enough of a barrier to discourage any random Tom or Harry from simply signing up for one for the fun of it (or perhaps to get access to the latest developer betas ahead of time), while still not over penalising developers who may still be students themselves with no steady source of income.

Apple is not a very hard company to read.
Apple could have a scale where larger developers pay more than smaller ones. As it is now many of the big name developers don’t pay Apple anything (outside of the annual developer fee).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.