Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Except they don't. There have been a few times that they either bent the rules or looked the other way for big apps.
Like who?

Isn’t TikTok on its way out anyway?
Not for people who like doom scroll their life away…. it seems. +1 to those people who have never wasted their time to sign up.

It's not going to happen anyway, first amendment, bill of attainder, take your pick on why it's unconstitutional to ban TikTok, but it is.
You think it’s okay for a foreign government to have access to every detail on your phone? 😂😂😂. Your call. Enjoy

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
this new App Store rule is out of hand is is slowly destroying the App Store…

If the developer of TikTok talks with the Chinese government, I‘m sure they can convince Tim Cook to back off. As China is too important of a market.

But at this point, they might just take the ban as in 9 months, they won‘t be allowed in the USA anymore anyway.

Pulling a Fortnite, are we?

Could be that the developer is now trying to milk it as much as possible as they will be banned in 9 months.

Try make as much money before TikTok is shutdown in the USA.

They want to get banned early, because then they can use the ban to put pressure on politicians.

TIKTOK HAS BEEN BANNED, GO SEE FOR YOURSELF, CALL YOUR SENATORS!

I think they are simply trying to cash out now, trying to extract as much money as possible before the ban in 9 months.

If they piss off Apple, who cares, TikTok won‘t be around for much longer in any case probably.

Good, ban it

It‘s probably better for Apple to do nothing as TikTok will be removed automatically in any case in 9 months. There is going to be too much drama involved if Apple bans TikTok now.

And they might loose customers to Android if Apple bans TikTok, as TikTok is a huge app.

The problem will solve itself basically.

Reactions: Mescagnus

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Apple could have a scale where larger developers pay more than smaller ones. As it is now many of the big name developers don’t pay Apple anything (outside of the annual developer fee).
I feel like when the iOS App Store was first introduced, it was operating under the assumption that apps would either be free, paid upfront for a 1-time fee, or ad-supported. In this context, a percentage cut made sense. A high-school kid releasing a free app in his free time wouldn't have to pay a cent regardless of how successful his app may be (imagine something like a ad-free version of Flappy Bird that just happened to go viral). At the same time, it's hard to gauge the financial viability of an ad-supported app because Apple has no insight into those numbers. The only people Apple can bill are developers who release paid apps (more specifically, apps that make use of iTunes billing) because Apple is the one processing those payments.

So to your question, I can see the following concerns:

1) How does one go about billing a company like Facebook or Instagram? The only thing that comes to mind is, ironically, something like the CTF which bills developers if their app installs exceed a certain threshold, but that also runs the risk of unfairly penalising smaller developers of free apps. Facebook would have no problems footing the bill, but you make it more prohibitively expensive for new entrants who may not have the same deep pockets.

2) Size is not necessarily correlated with profit. Should a bank be paying Apple each time their banking app is downloaded, when said app is not directly making the bank any money?

3) I get it may not seem entirely fair, but charging by revenue still seems like the most scalable solution by far. I see how much money each developer brings in, keep 30% (or 15%) and pay out the rest. I don't have to go auditing individual developers or developers either.

4) It's easy and tempting to say that Apple should simply not charge developers for the App Store, but I do also feel that it is not in everyone's best interests for the App Store to be run as a loss-making entity that is being subsidised solely via hardware profits. We already see the current disarray the google play store is in due to Google's apparent lack of care in maintaining it, I can only imagine this is due to it just not being all that profitable, and the end result is a worse experience both for developers and end users.

To use a parallel, Twitch takes 50% of donations from streamers. It sounds rather excessive, until you realise how top-heavy their cost structure is. Someone could be streaming for years to zero followers and raking up server bills while not earning Twitch a single cent because he isn't making any money in subs. As such, it's really the top few streamers who are subsidising everybody else.

However, it is not feasible to charge streamers upfront for the bandwidth they use because then, you raise the barrier for aspiring streamers in an environment where it is common to not make any money for the first couple of months or even years while you slowly build up your viewership.

I don't see either option as being more or less fair than the other. They just come with their respective pros and cons, and there will be winners and losers depending on which stage of their streaming career they are in.

Reactions: wbeasley

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
Apps are sandboxed.
In theory. But apps still work in the background, taking data like location, searches etc. Tell me they haven’t. Facebook can continue to track you with FB opened in the background.

Google.. well Google.

And For example, Uber (allegedly) removed the part of their app that continued to track you. But they can do it.

Reactions: wbeasley and TJ82

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Apple will definitely not be happy about this. Expecting to hear more about this in the coming days.

d686546s

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2021
The intent here is not to disincentivise small developers from releasing apps from the App Store.

Contrary to what many might believe here, what contributes to the vitality and vibrancy of the App Store aren't the big-name apps like Facebook, YouTube, Netflix or Spotify. Rather, it's the indie developers, and many of them are releasing apps that make no money (because they are free). Which in turns means that they don't pay Apple a cent either.

$99 a year is enough of a barrier to discourage any random Tom or Harry from simply signing up for one for the fun of it (or perhaps to get access to the latest developer betas ahead of time), while still not over penalising developers who may still be students themselves with no steady source of income.

Apple is not a very hard company to read.

Vibrant, maybe, but I think success is a whole different story, particularly at platform level.

Take a look around when using public transport which apps people are using. In the overwhelming majority it's an app of any of the media outlets, one of the big social media companies, WhatsApp, shopping, a browser or a game.

When people are in work mode, it's either Outlook, stock apps or some Google stuff.

I'd say that the App Store is incredibly dependent on these big apps being there, that's what brings people in. Things like the Core Technology Fee are exactly designed to disincentivise the big names from leaving and the vibrant marketplace is a by-product of that. Occasionally you strike a viral app, but how many of them actually stick around?

atoqir

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2018
Hopefully Apple bans them over this so they can also join the list of angry large companies and will be heard when the US and EU start the lawsuits to fine Apple billions because of this anti competitive bullying. The more big companies on that list the bigger the win and pay off eventually will be.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
In theory. But apps still work in the background, taking data like location, searches etc. Tell me they haven’t. Facebook can continue to track you with FB opened in the background.

Google.. well Google.

And For example, Uber (allegedly) removed the part of their app that continued to track you. But they can do it.
When the app requests location data, you should say no then.

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
Everyone only cares about profit and money as usual, but how about banning it for the irreversible damage it does to young people's brains?

Reactions: lenningj

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
Everyone only cares about profit and money as usual, but how about banning it for the irreversible damage it does to young people's brains?

Shall we ban role playing and live service games as well then? Those have been around for a lot longer and are more addictive. Maybe just ban social media in general on that note?

Interested in your goalposts here.

Contact_Feanor

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2017
Belgium
But if people are purchasing things on the web how is that contractually owed? It’s not like TikTok is setting up it’s own payment system in-app.
This is all happening in the app. Which the contrast is very clear about.
This is not tiktokkers opening a browser to buy stuff, it’s tiktokkers using the app and finding, clicking and finishing the purchase inside the app.
The contract is clear for situations like this: you have to use the in app purchase API.

Reactions: wbeasley

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
As if Apple will ban it 😂

They haven’t got the guts to ban the biggest social media app in the world right now.

Gurman even said it’d be a disaster for Apple.

Classic Apple, showing their true colours again.

Reactions: krspkbl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.