Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
are you sure? for me it's always been ctrl-left/right to switch spaces.
Option+left/right still moves me around the text
Pressing "Restore Defaults" defaulted go to left/right space to ctrl+left/right arrow. For some reason it was set to opt+left/right arrow during the upgrade process. A possible bug?

stoplis

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
Not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but I get extra info bellow files I've downloaded in finder.
Google Chrome downloaded with Safari gives me the files size.
screenshot20120801at082.png

The new James Bond trailer downloaded using Google Chrome gives me the runtime.
screenshot20120801at082.png

If a file is zipped, after safari unzips (creating a folder) the folder states how many files are in it (no screenshot).

Does anyone know if this can be turned on for any other existing files?

Edit: I found it in view options, 'Show item info'. It only on in the downloads folder by default.
screenshot20120801at083.png

Last edited:

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Does that give you an acute or a grave accent? How about the other diacritical signs?

Option+e gives an acute accent: é, ó, ú, á.
Option+` gives a grave accent: è, ù
Option+u gives an umlaut: ü, ï
Option+n gives a diacritical tilde: ñ
Option+i gives a circumflex: î, â

I learned most of this by looking at the OS X's virtual keyboard. When you press Option, it has all the things you can do with the keyboard. It's pretty fun actually, and useful! It really helps with math symbols too. For example, Option+w gives ∑. There's a lot of options. That's partly the reason why I disable Press and hold "feature". It really makes it harder to type fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu :)

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Option+e gives an acute accent: é, ó, ú, á.
Option+u gives an umlaut: ü, ï
Option+n gives a diacritical tilde: ñ
Option+i gives a circumflex: î, â

I learned most of this by looking at the OS X's virtual keyboard. When you press Option, it has all the things you can do with the keyboard. It's pretty fun actually, and useful! It really helps with math symbols too. For example, Option+w gives ∑. There's a lot of options. That's partly the reason why I disable Press and hold "feature". It really makes it harder to type fffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu :)

Oh, I see. I thought you meant option+e gave you e with an accent. Using azerty, I've got à, é, è, ù on the keyboard already. ^ and ¨ can be added to any letter that'll have them. To be honest, the only reason I keep the thing active is to type the letter å ;)

zz2k9

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
anybody seeing similar behaviour? Right click anywhere on desktop and choose Change Desktop Background. First time it pops up normally. Quit it, try again, this time the dock icon shows but the window is hidden. Happens every time. Restart fixes it, but it is annoying. Clean install btw

Thanks

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
anybody seeing similar behaviour? Right click anywhere on desktop and choose Change Desktop Background. First time it pops up normally. Quit it, try again, this time the dock icon shows but the window is hidden. Happens every time. Restart fixes it, but it is annoying. Clean install btw

Thanks

Just tried it, same thing here. Upgraded from Lion.

zz2k9

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
Just tried it, same thing here. Upgraded from Lion.

Thanks for helping. Was thinking something had gone wrong with the install.
The other day I left my mbp connected to an external monitor in sleep, after a few hours I opened the lid and all i got was black screens. No mouse, keyboard lights, nothing. Google search says it has to do with the magic trackpad. Any ideas?
Not complaining guys, just wanted to see if this is a shared experience.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for helping. Was thinking something had gone wrong with the install.
The other day I left my mbp connected to an external monitor in sleep, after a few hours I opened the lid and all i got was black screens. No mouse, keyboard lights, nothing. Google search says it has to do with the magic trackpad. Any ideas?
Not complaining guys, just wanted to see if this is a shared experience.

I had that last night. I'm using NoSleep to prevent my MBP from going into sleep when the lid is closed when connected to the charger, and when I opened the lid the day after, the pulsating indicated that it had gone into sleep mode (normal, because it does that after an hour of inactivity). All black. Nothing worked.

On the other hand, I've experienced problems coming back from sleep with just about every single OS I've ever used so I'm not too concerned :)

zz2k9

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2012
I had that last night. I'm using NoSleep to prevent my MBP from going into sleep when the lid is closed when connected to the charger, and when I opened the lid the day after, the pulsating indicated that it had gone into sleep mode (normal, because it does that after an hour of inactivity). All black. Nothing worked.

On the other hand, I've experienced problems coming back from sleep with just about every single OS I've ever used so I'm not too concerned :)

It is odd isn't it. Sometimes when my external HDD Time Machine is connected, it causes slow wake from sleep. If I use my mbp just by itself, only charger and headphones connected, sleep and everything works just fine. It doesnt really bother me either, but theres always a feeling in the back of your mind to want it to "Just Work."

On a positive note, Dock and Notification Centre are awesome new additions!

DeckMan

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011
anybody seeing similar behaviour? Right click anywhere on desktop and choose Change Desktop Background. First time it pops up normally. Quit it, try again, this time the dock icon shows but the window is hidden.

Same bug happening here. What happens is that System Preferences gets hidden, so you have to click the icon again to show it. Or click Change Desktop Background again.

(I noticed because my Dock icons of hidden apps are semitransparent: http://www.tuaw.com/2008/08/22/terminal-tips-make-hidden-dock-icons-transparent/ )

----------

Also, the battery is fully charged, on AC power but says 95%. Anyone else?

That has always been the case, also with laptop computers by other manufacturers. I'm guessing they're deliberately not completely charging it if it's at 95% or more, maybe it wouldn't be good for the battery?

Kaith

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Now the battery icon in the upper bar doesn't show the remaining time, only the percentage :(

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Now the battery icon in the upper bar doesn't show the remaining time, only the percentage :(

I am sorry, this has been mentioned more than a gazillion times. The removal is a bummer if you ask me, and as of yet there's no workaround that does not require installing new software.

And as mentioned a million times, all you have to do is click the battery icon to see the time remaining.

Arctix

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
In Safari, if you click the history section in the menu bar, you now have the option to open last closed window (like Google Chrome).

Shu15

macrumors regular
May 28, 2009
United States
Has anyone else's Apple multitouch gestures randomly stopped working? I have Better Touch Tool installed also, but swiping up with four fingers to bring up Mission Control, swiping with four fingers to change spaces, etc. stop working and I have to log out to regain functionality. Better Touch Tool works throughout this.

odraude

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
Near You
This dictation feature is just a gimmick continued issues that they bring my sandwich I have fun with the labor sheet it writes it's amazing novitiate they can go with these ****ing feature ha ha ha ha (but but but but but)

dictation is awesome and safari6 work pretty neat on ml, (you she's not my brain Layland which the conditioned right) again didn't say what the **** is wrong with your computer the joke they me at Joe I wanted you to tell me a joke girl I'm so glad my dick you little makeup dates in your mouth and eat hahahahaha works flawless :D :p

Predator69

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
And as mentioned a million times, all you have to do is click the battery icon to see the time remaining.

thats the point in SL you dont have to even click on the battery icon ? I rather it says and shows the time left so that you can estimate how much longer you need to rush yourself to the nearest electric sockets.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
thats the point in SL you dont have to even click on the battery icon ? I rather it says and shows the time left so that you can estimate how much longer you need to rush yourself to the nearest electric sockets.

The time was also shown in Lion. But if you are already working on your computer, how hard is it to move your mouse up there and click? I'm not justifying Apple removing it, I'm just saying that it's not completely gone.

Besides, if your battery indicator is showing a low percentage, then its probably a good idea to find an outlet.

PurrBall

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Indianapolis
Has anyone else's Apple multitouch gestures randomly stopped working? I have Better Touch Tool installed also, but swiping up with four fingers to bring up Mission Control, swiping with four fingers to change spaces, etc. stop working and I have to log out to regain functionality. Better Touch Tool works throughout this.

YES! I have to killall Dock for them to come back.

Predator69

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
The time was also shown in Lion. But if you are already working on your computer, how hard is it to move your mouse up there and click? I'm not justifying Apple removing it, I'm just saying that it's not completely gone.

Besides, if your battery indicator is showing a low percentage, then its probably a good idea to find an outlet.

it is hard when you are in inter flight in the airport and you have tons of work that you need to finish , that you need to complete it before you even touch down at the other side of the world.

LakeCountry

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
I don't recall seeing that selection of sounds in the Alert menu on my regular copy of ML.

In order to change the sound on the Notification, you have to change the sound in the entry itself. In other words, go to the Calendar or Reminder app, open the specific appointment and change the alert sound from there. Whatever sound you set there should be played when the Notification Alert pops up.

I know that, thank you! Sadly, that doesn't change the default alarm - i have to change the alarm sound for every single entry in my calendar...

Am I really the only one who is annoyed by that "basso" notification sound...!??

bully worm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
Not sure if this has been posted but to get the classic Expose back, uncheck "group windows by application" in system preference>mission control.

Brings back some functionality of Snow Leopard.

cUHQu.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.