Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Not sure if this has been posted but to get the classic Expose back, uncheck "group windows by application" in system preference>mission control.

Brings back some functionality of Snow Leopard.

Thanks for that. In the Trackpad>More Gestures menu, there is a box to check for App Exposé, but that only works for the same app running multiple windows.

STEALTH714

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
Scrolling

Love the dictation feature. The page scroll on the right-hand side of any webpage gets fatter now when you try to grab it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Mail

Sometimes with Mail, with conversation view, and you scroll to the top of the email, when you switch away from that email, then back, the conversation view leaves you in the middle.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
Code:
defaults write com.apple.Safari NSUserKeyEquivalents -dict-add Back "\U232b"

What does that code do? Enables backspace to go back in Safari 6. :D

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Love the dictation feature. The page scroll on the right-hand side of any webpage gets fatter now when you try to grab it.

You can also bring up the scrollbar by pressing two fingers on the trackpad. You don't have to scroll in order to bring the scrollbar up to grab it! Just two finger press and it comes up!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Now the battery icon in the upper bar doesn't show the remaining time, only the percentage :(

SlimBatteryMonitor is a pretty excellent battery indicator, small, free, and has _time_ as an option like the previous battery display.

I guess I sort of assumed notifications would (or should) show this, but in the configuration, Mac App Store/Software Update isn't shown as an option ... however, you do get notifications!

7708443978_52f8c270a0.jpg

7708448288_6bba340a06.jpg

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Not really a feature new to Mountain Lion, as it always existed, but people may not know how to edit *.html files on the Mac

By default, TextEdit opens up an HTML page as formatted text, so all you see is what it would look like in Safari anyway... To see the code, head to TextEdit menu >> Preferences, Open and Save, and check "Display HTML files as HTML code instead of formatted text." Close TextEdit, and reopen for changes to take effect.

Easy.:apple:

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
SlimBatteryMonitor is a pretty excellent battery indicator, small, free, and has _time_ as an option like the previous battery display.

I guess I sort of assumed notifications would (or should) show this, but in the configuration, Mac App Store/Software Update isn't shown as an option ... however, you do get notifications!

Was that update for a 3rd party app from the MAS, or was it an OS X or Apple app update or something? I've had updates for 3rd party MAS apps a few times, but I haven't had a single notification appear for them.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Was that update for a 3rd party app from the MAS, or was it an OS X or Apple app update or something? I've had updates for 3rd party MAS apps a few times, but I haven't had a single notification appear for them.

Yeah, they were third party apps (it was actually three that had updates: Evernote, PST Bridge and File Viewer).

Just let them update, and the notification was cleared :)

I really dig on the notification implementation so far, can't wait to see how 3rd parties leverage it. I was using an email plugin called Herald, that got tossed during the mail update to ML, but this is much better and native.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Yeah, they were third party apps (it was actually three that had updates: Evernote, PST Bridge and File Viewer).

Just let them update, and the notification was cleared :)

I really dig on the notification implementation so far, can't wait to see how 3rd parties leverage it. I was using an email plugin called Herald, that got tossed during the mail update to ML, but this is much better and native.

Weird, maybe notifications will appear for updates later. Oh well, I've gotten into the habit of checking for updates often on my own anyway.

The latest Tweetbot for Mac (Alpha) update included NC support. I was able to test it out when someone mentioned me on Twitter, I received 2 notifications, one from Twitter, and one from Tweetbot. I'm liking that more and more apps are getting NC support.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
I think Preview now allows you to look up words within the app. I am pretty sure this wasn't possible in Lion, unless I'm mistaken.

EDIT: App Exposé no longer displays full screen windows.

Last edited:

JacaByte

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2009
You've been able to look up words in all applications since 10.6.8 via a hotkey set in the Keyboard prefs, without opening the dictionary. (For me it was cmd+opt+D) Now it's much easier. (Three finger tap with default gestures, double three finger tap with BetterTouchTool)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
EDIT: App Exposé no longer displays full screen windows.

This I find rather annoying. I already thought it was strange that you weren't able to invoke App Exposé from a full screen window in Lion. This is even worse.

Branskins

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
How long has OS X had the "Create folder from selected items" animation? Select some files, right click one and press the Create folder choice and it makes a folder and then the files jump and file into it.

This may have been on Lion, I'm not sure!

Edit: I did this on the desktop

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
How long has OS X had the "Create folder from selected items" animation? Select some files, right click one and press the Create folder choice and it makes a folder and then the files jump and file into it.

This as I recall is new, and I find it pretty :D

Tom8

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010

That was in Lion

Arelunde

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2011
CA Central Coast
Another thing I noticed today is in Mail. If you have messages set to being threaded (or maybe this isn't needed) and you reply, you can access your reply from the Inbox by clicking the "return" arrow right next to the photo box in the messages listing.

hideous cheese

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
More importantly Save As . . . is screwed

Far more concerning is the way "Save As" works in Mountain Lion. You'll recall that Mountain Lion brought "Save As" functionality back to OS X, which spared us from a year of workflow-breaking "Duplicate" then "Save" hoop-jumping. Fellow TUAW blogger TJ Luoma even figured out how to change the menu commands around so "Save As..." showed up by default instead of "Duplicate" in the systemwide "File" menu.

Unfortunately, it turns out that Mountain Lion has answered a question no one thought to ask until now: When is "Save As..." not really "Save As..."?

The answer is surprising and somewhat distressing. As Mac Performance Guide notes, the "Save As..." command in Mountain Lion saves changes in your new document and the original document. In my own testing, the reason seems to have something to do with Mountain Lion's auto-save features. Initiating and completing a "Save As..." command will automatically close the original document and leave the new document in its place. The simple act of closing the original document triggers Mountain Lion's auto-save feature, meaning the next time you open the original document, those changes will still be there.

This could be a potential nightmare for document version management. My own testing in TextEdit and Preview documents showed that Mountain Lion's handling of the "Save As..." function wasn't at all what I've come to expect from nearly 30 years of using Macs. Anyone not familiar with the esoteric intricacies of Mountain Lion's auto-save behaviors (in other words, the overwhelming majority of users) is likely to fall into a panic the next time they open their original and supposedly preserved document only to find something else entirely in front of them.

Mountain Lion's use of auto-versioning means you can always revert the original document back to its pre-"Save As..." state -- but we shouldn't have to, and counting on everyday users to be capable of navigating through the Versions interface to find their original document seems foolhardy at best.

No. Just no.

All of this means that the triumphant return of "Save As..." to Mountain Lion has turned out to be not so triumphant after all. The way the command worked in the past, your original document would be preserved without edits and would be waiting for you in its original state the next time you opened it. The new behavior in Mountain Lion is more complex, far more confusing, and has far more that can go wrong with it.

Some people might say that the old methods of document management and versioning are old-fashioned, and the new way is better. As someone who regularly works on complex projects demanding meticulous version tracking, I respectfully disagree. This isn't necessarily a "bug" in Mountain Lion, but it is conspicuously incongruous behaviour -- and it's also something Apple can improve for users, if it chooses to do so.
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/08/05/mountain-lion-bugs-chopped-battery-life-and-nonsensical-save-a/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.