Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinegarTasters

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2007
Secret Force Quit Current Application Shortcut

Now you can force quit your current active running application if it hangs by using a secret shortcut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dNRmYoOL3I

I don't know how to type out the keys, but you can see it in the video above. Pressing "Shift" shows it in the apple menu. So next time, you don't even need to be in the Apple menu, but just type out the whole sequence, and your running app will quit.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Now you can force quit your current active running application if it hangs by using a secret shortcut.

I don't know how to type out the keys, but you can see it in the video above. Pressing "Shift" shows it in the apple menu. So next time, you don't even need to be in the Apple menu, but just type out the whole sequence, and your running app will quit.

That video is bloody annoying to watch.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

This has been there since like forever. I'm sorry this isn't an OS X lesser-known features thread.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin

is this dude ****ing serious?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

In Dashboard, hold down ALT to remove widgets donated by an X in the corner.

Uninstall, by clicking + in the bottom left, then ALT to get in the 'jiggle' mode, hen click the X on the app.

However, what may be a coool feature... (I thought it was anyway, but don't know the point of it other than 'coolness' is in Dashboard, with an app selected, hold down Command-R and see what happens.

Works on any widgets including Apples own. :)

is this dude ****ing serious?

lol..

Set845

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
The point of Command+R in Dashboard is to refresh the widget, such as the weather widget.

Platskies

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2012
NSW, Australia
Not sure if this precisely has been mentioned - if you have "Show item info" enabled in the Finder's View Options, when an inline copy is going, a time estimate gets shown in the "info" area of the in-progress item. It's actually more accurate than that shown in the window that appears! :p (shown in the first pic)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 4,092
  • Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    84.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Saving Power (sux on AC)

Whats the point of Saving computer power when running on AC ?

I can understand the tick "put hard drink to sleep (when possible)" on the Battery tab, of Energy Saver Preferences, but NOT on the Power Adapter tab, as your connected to AC anyway.

I asked this why this was, with Apple and they said its possible if power was black out.... ok fair enough, but how often does that happen...

However, my problem, is when hard drive goes to sleep, when downloading large files... Servers that do not support resume and/or external applications, will fail the large download that was currently going on.

A quick check in the help section regarding this option was "Select this option to put the computer’s hard disk to sleep whenever it’s *inactive*"

Inactive, is NOT downloading files.... its when the hard disk is doing nothing, just spinning...

So my question, why does this happen....? My downloads are constantly receiving errors when it goes to sleep on AC. The hard drive is active when it writes data, so it shouldn't be doing this....

I've unchecked this option for now, but it still doesn't make that much sense on AC... Battery power would see the biggest benefit.... I dunno why Apple did this.

Attachments

• Energy Saver.png
    Energy Saver.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 309

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

I use Apple Cleaner and I have the correct options. See the pic below.

I would suggest deleting and reinstalling. I am using version 2.1.0 (234).

S-

Update: Actually, this is not required...

Just trashing the icon from the dock and re-adding is all thats required. :)

I wish Safari had 3D views :)

Attachments

• 3D view.png
    3D view.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 601
Last edited:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Dunnu weather this is an issue, as i only just used it with 10.8.1, but enabling Airplay mirroring on Mac, sometimes when turning it off afterward, it doesn't always switch back to the "Best for built-n display"

Plus, Airplay itself doesn't look good on Mac,,, could remain native, but scaled behind the scenes instead....

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Anyone found anything new in 10.8.1?

Was there always a checkbox to auto detect Exchange settings in the Accounts pane of the Mail.app preferences? I still can't connect by the way.

My desktop pictures still defaults back to random apple pictures on odd-numbered desktops. And the login screen now!

jfredsilva

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
Not sure if this precisely has been mentioned - if you have "Show item info" enabled in the Finder's View Options, when an inline copy is going, a time estimate gets shown in the "info" area of the in-progress item. It's actually more accurate than that shown in the window that appears! :p (shown in the first pic)

How do I enable it? I can't find the "Show item info" anywhere.

Hornet9988

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
RSS Visualizer Screensaver?

Anybody? I loved the screensaver. From what I gathered Apple has decided that RSS is dead by taking out all support of it. Which would be fine but that screensaver was sweet. All of the other ones are lame. Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement? I havent had any luck finding third party screensavers on the web anywhere for OSX. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Anybody? I loved the screensaver. From what I gathered Apple has decided that RSS is dead by taking out all support of it. Which would be fine but that screensaver was sweet. All of the other ones are lame. Anyone have a suggestion for a replacement? I havent had any luck finding third party screensavers on the web anywhere for OSX. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

Looking for love in all the wrong places... Kenny Rogers said that. Wise man.

Have you tried the Mac App Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.