Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Power issues

Anyone know whats happened here ?

Ever since i've upgraded to 10.8.1, I have to prevent Mac from sleeping to keep hard disk awake during network activity ..

The option "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" does nothing, even when checked, so i left it disabled anyway.

Attachments

• Battery.png
    Battery.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 267
  • Power.png
    Power.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 237

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

On 10.8.1, when using multiple desktops and the user switches to another 'active' app running in another desktop by clicking on the icon in the dock, sometimes the tooltip above that icon keeps displaying the tooltip, even though their is no pointer over it.

Attachments

• icon dock.png
    icon dock.png
    878.6 KB · Views: 193

WhackyNinja

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Kissimmee, FL
This appears now after 10.8.1 update with Facebook Developer Preview

Jabber Facebook chat became this

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 11.24.26 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-09-01 at 11.24.26 PM.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 244

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
On 10.8.1, when using multiple desktops and the user switches to another 'active' app running in another desktop by clicking on the icon in the dock, sometimes the tooltip above that icon keeps displaying the tooltip, even though their is no pointer over it.

That ain't bug. It's a feature called delayed air information. Been there since mac os 10.3 ;)

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Full screen

Add full screen option in General of System Preferences.

So all apps will launch in Full screen. not just switch to, once in.

This is one feature that drive me 'round-the-bend'

Every time I open an app that i run, I must make it full screen (since i use multiple desktops anyway).

I'm surprised Apple hasn't added this to 10.8.1, or at least, their own Apps: Safari, it this is not possible in the OS.

IPhone has full screen, but i doub't you can launch it in full screen

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
I just updated from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. And I have to say I really ****ing HATE launchpad.

Its so ridicilous to be giving widgets even more space. Launchpad now reminds me of how my old Windows desktop used to look.

And I think they seriously destroyed the Expose. Why turn something so simple into something more complicated?

New Mail looks good. But syncing notes is not as simple as I wished it would be.

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I just updated from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion. And I have to say I really ****ing HATE launchpad.

Its so ridicilous to be giving widgets even more space. Launchpad now reminds me of how my old Windows desktop used to look.

And I think they seriously destroyed the Expose. Why turn something so simple into something more complicated?

New Mail looks good. But syncing notes is not as simple as I wished it would be.

You mean Misson Control?

Anyway, you can go into settings and take away the space for widgets so it works as it did on SL if you want.

Also whats so hard about syncing notes? Are you not using iCloud?

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
Finally apple added the possibility of receiving iMessages sent to your mobile numbers in Messages for Mac !!!!

love this feature! i updated this week to ML from Lion and i LOVE it, i can't believe i waited this long - i am on a late 2011 MB Air and wow, it flies....

Ramius

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2008
You mean Misson Control?

Anyway, you can go into settings and take away the space for widgets so it works as it did on SL if you want.

Also whats so hard about syncing notes? Are you not using iCloud?
Yes but I am not using @me mail service.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
How can I have sound in youtube videos in firefox?
I can see them properly in safari, so something strange happens.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
Each time my mac crashes(10.8.2), I see my wifi open and searching, while I am always having it turned off. Why this happens?

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
My only real complaint with Mountain Lion (all versions) is it runs perfectly fine until I reboot, I get a message saying that my system was restarted because of a problem even though I restarted it! Fortunately, this only happens every one in a while, but it's still very enjoying.

Anyone else experiencing this?

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Ugh... just noticed that Preview in Mountain Lion no longer has the ability to merge PDFs. That's a feature I only have to use once every couple months at work, but when I do it was always a big time saver and helped me keep client files nice and tidy.

Used to be able to drag the icon for one PDF on top of the thumbnail of an open PDF and it would be added as subsequent pages to the open PDF, and the whole thing could then be saved as one multipage PDF file.

I don't know why, but this minor inconvenience really bugs me. :mad:

jacg

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2003
UK
Ugh... just noticed that Preview in Mountain Lion no longer has the ability to merge PDFs. That's a feature I only have to use once every couple months at work, but when I do it was always a big time saver and helped me keep client files nice and tidy.

Used to be able to drag the icon for one PDF on top of the thumbnail of an open PDF and it would be added as subsequent pages to the open PDF, and the whole thing could then be saved as one multipage PDF file.

I don't know why, but this minor inconvenience really bugs me. :mad:

I just opened up two pdfs in ML and successfully dragged pages from one sidebar to the other. Would this do what you were trying?

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
I just opened up two pdfs in ML and successfully dragged pages from one sidebar to the other. Would this do what you were trying?

Yes, but prior to 10.8, if you dragged one on top of the other, it effectively merged the two. Now the two do not merge; the dragged pages from the second document are not inserted into the original document. If quit Preview and then re-open the document that you dragged the second file into, for example, only the first document is there. This is true whether you save prior to quitting or not.

I have, however, discovered a workaround. Once you have dragged the second document's pages into the first, File - Print, PDF - Save as PDF. Then save the new PDF. It's fine; the end result is the same. It just added a layer of confusion to what used to be a very useful (at least for me) and easy feature.

Set845

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2010
Yes, but prior to 10.8, if you dragged one on top of the other, it effectively merged the two. Now the two do not merge; the dragged pages from the second document are not inserted into the original document. If quit Preview and then re-open the document that you dragged the second file into, for example, only the first document is there. This is true whether you save prior to quitting or not.

I have, however, discovered a workaround. Once you have dragged the second document's pages into the first, File - Print, PDF - Save as PDF. Then save the new PDF. It's fine; the end result is the same. It just added a layer of confusion to what used to be a very useful (at least for me) and easy feature.

Try this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIFP9u9cQLc&feature=plcp

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas

Thanks, this is exactly what I was trying to do and how I was trying to do it. So after watching this video I tried again, with the same result. It wasn't working. Then it occurred to me to use the "get info" for each of the files I was trying to merge. Turns out they were the jpeg copies a client had emailed me, not the PDF versions I had made. I had moved the wrong copies, because of the default behavior of hiding the file extension in the name.

Anyway, your video helped me solve the mystery. I'm really just glad this feature is still there. As I said before, it's been a time saver in the past.

Thanks again! :)

albatronic

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Facebook

Hi,

I have just bought my first Mac and have upgraded my software to OSX 10.8.2. I thought Facebook was supposed to be integrated into this, cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas guys?

Cheers

Zmijutin

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
Zagreb, Croatia
Go to apple icon on top left side of the screen, click, then click to system preference and then click on mail, contacts & calendars icon. find facebook on right side of the windows, click and insert your facebook email and password :).

Hope it helps!

charliehifi

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
I wonder if there is someway I can make the notifications longer (containing more lines and information) in ML?

When I for example get an output from Alfred with London Tube Status, it only shows one line and I can't read the rest.

What can I do?

Thanks,
C

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
safari won't open Apple.com

hi guys
been few days my f**8ing mac won't open Apple.com
ML 10.8.2
safari 6.0.1
firefox 15.0.1
unsuccessful attempts:
Restart router
clear DNS
reinstall Flash
(even reinstall safari)
firewall disabled
Safari restarted and website catch cleared
no loading Apple.com (no in Safari no in Firefox)
but every other device loads the website when connected to home network(same network)
any suggestions would be very appreciated

----------

hi guys
been few days my f**8ing mac won't open Apple.com
ML 10.8.2
safari 6.0.1
firefox 15.0.1
unsuccessful attempts:
Restart router
clear DNS
reinstall Flash
(even reinstall safari)
firewall disabled
Safari restarted and website catch cleared
no loading Apple.com (no in Safari no in Firefox)
but every other device loads the website when connected to home network(same network)
any suggestions would be very appreciated

it's sorted, DNS 208.67.222.222 did work.
if someone has this problem just change ur DNS server to 208.67.222.222

emir

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2008
Istanbul
How do you get iMessages sent to your phone number on your mac? I receive at my @me email and my phone number on iOS 6 with my iPhone however iMessages preferences on Mac doesn't have the option to receive at phone number,i can receive at only @me account. I would really want these two to be synced.

ltb7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
the beach
How do you get iMessages sent to your phone number on your mac? I receive at my @me email and my phone number on iOS 6 with my iPhone however iMessages preferences on Mac doesn't have the option to receive at phone number,i can receive at only @me account. I would really want these two to be synced.

open msgs on your mac, go to prefs then account, you will see your icloud account click on that and you should see your phone number + email addresses there (i have phone number + @mac + @icloud + @me) make sure it is checked - if that does not work start over and delete settings on your ios device, shut down your computer - set up iMessage again and then open computer, it should just automatically add - are you using mountain lion?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.