Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hieubui

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2017
That's why I say IOS is getting worse. IOS is getting worse every year...There are more problems every year....It's really disappointing
I mean, this XS max has been treating me well since 2018. I bought it because of the big OLED screen, faceID, 3D touch. What's new for hardware since then? Camera upgrade? meh. The 13 pro's screen high refresh rate, which is pretty tempting but it's not enough.

So I turn to software experience to decide whether to upgrade or not. I won't buy a new phone knowing that the experience is gonna be the same, especially when there's bug like this, even on newer iphones. Call me old school but it's been constantly going down hill since iOS7. I refuse to buy a newer iphones until a major overhaul to iOS.

antiga

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2020
Oh no... It has been perfect since the build from Feb 2021.

But in the latest (final iOS 16 Beta) build... the issue has returned. Exact same stutter when going to the app switcher as before. I really hope this isn't a return of the same issue.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2021
Oh no... It has been perfect since the build from Feb 2021.

But in the latest (final iOS 16 Beta) build... the issue has returned. Exact same stutter when going to the app switcher as before. I really hope this isn't a return of the same issue.

can confirm this as well.... :(

Reactions: antiga

antiga

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2020
Fortunately (fingers crossed) - haven't noticed it since the final RC this week. My feedback ticket is still open.
Edit: It’s still here and made it to final release.

Last edited:

antiga

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2020
No one else seeing this? It’s as bad as ever for me.

Experienced it on:
iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPhone 14 Pro Max
iPhone 14 Pro

Reset and tried direct transfer and also iCloud restore. All the same.

Also still an issue in 16.1 Beta 2. Very frustrating but now there seems to be a lot less noise about it.

Reactions: cambookpro

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
No one else seeing this? It’s as bad as ever for me.

Experienced it on:
iPhone 13 Pro Max
iPhone 14 Pro Max
iPhone 14 Pro

Reset and tried direct transfer and also iCloud restore. All the same.

Also still an issue in 16.1 Beta 2. Very frustrating but now there seems to be a lot less noise about it.
Yeah it’s still very much a problem - exactly the same as when the 12 Pro was plagued with it :( I’m not sure why it’s not a universal problem people are having - I started fresh on my 14 Pro, so it’s not a problem carried over from a backup unless it’s some rogue bug with my iCloud account.

lcb7

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2016
Yeah it’s still very much a problem - exactly the same as when the 12 Pro was plagued with it :( I’m not sure why it’s not a universal problem people are having - I started fresh on my 14 Pro, so it’s not a problem carried over from a backup unless it’s some rogue bug with my iCloud account.
Have this problem too, doing an exchange for a scratch on my 14 pro max anyway when stock is available, so will see if the new phone has the stutter issue

kevinswiss

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
I also have this problem on my iphone 14 pro max. Restarting the phone fixed the issue briefly, but it would come back after 1/2 or one day :eek::eek:

keyben85

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2007
After 2 calls with Apple support the only advise they could give me was: clean install without putting my iCloud back up back.... :-s .

There are indeed very noticeable hiccups in closing apps. It's random and can effect any given app (third party or not). I swipe up to close the app and it will hang for just a second before continuing the animation.

This is so frustrating to see such a high end phone struggling...

It helps to restart the phone but eventually it comes back.
First I thought 16.0.2 fixed it, but it was only because an update means a restart.

antiga

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2020
Hey y’all, quick experiment.

How many widgets do you guys have on your Home Screen? The first page specifically.

I had 4:
Weather
TickTick
Google Calendar
Tesla (stack + Robinhood + Kraken)

I removed all of them and haven’t been able to reproduce the stutter yet.

I might be losing my mind here. But when I added Weather back I immediately reproduced it. It’s possible it’s a coincidence and I’m going to test a bunch more. But wanted to come here asap and see if we can’t find some common denominators.

Please update here if you try!

antiga

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2020
I did just get another occurrence. So it’s not 100%. But it does seem to be a significant decrease.
I’m on beta 4.

antiga

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2020
I have no widgets on the Home Screen and still see the stutter consistently. I’m on 14 pro max and 16.0.2.
Thanks!

Trying to figure out how my wife doesn’t have it and I do. There’s gotta be something. The first time around in iOS 14, everyone had it. This time it feels still pretty widespread but it’s not as much.

kevinswiss

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2022
Thanks!

Trying to figure out how my wife doesn’t have it and I do. There’s gotta be something. The first time around in iOS 14, everyone had it. This time it feels still pretty widespread but it’s not as much.
Does your wife have the same phone as you?

I don't have this probleme on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro (both on 16.0.2)

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
I never realized how widespread this problem was in 2020. I've only really experienced it on iOS 15 and 16 with my XS.

The way it seems to appear after a certain period of time of not restarting and not happen every single time makes it a little tricky to tell if your device is actually experiencing the issue. Probably makes it a bit harder for Apple to notice/troubleshoot as well.

antiga

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2020
Does your wife have the same phone as you?

I don't have this probleme on my iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone 13 Pro (both on 16.0.2)
Yes, we both have 14 Pro Max.

But it’s not a hardware issue for me. I have the same issue on 3 phones on the current OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.