Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Lots of people on X are talking about how 15Pro and pro max are getting so hot they can’t even be held without a case

Has that been your experience?

Seems even if not a17 pro runs hot in general

Kinda disappointing given all the 3nm hype
But I think it will be magically fixed by next gen

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
My 15 Pro got hot after setting it up. Got even a notification that it stop charging. After everything got installed it went away. In the afternoon I went to McDonald's with a friend and for a few minutes my phone got randomly very hot. After that didn't experience it again. Just played 10 min of Clash of clans and Clash royal (don't play any other games) and it was normal cool.

dsampley

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
I saw my new pro max stop charging and was warm to,the touch while apps were installing.

Today, not a problem with heat at all

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I had an 11 Pro that had this kind of behavior the whole year that I had it and had horrible battery life. I think whatever was going on wasn’t normal because everyone else seemed to have no issues. If this behavior is just a fraction of all phones sold it’s probably due to something wrong somewhere.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Yesterday it was warm, wouldn't charge past 92%, had a notification that until the internal temps cooled down it wouldn't charge. I was also restoring from backup so it was downloading a lot of stuff. It was fine after I let it finish and gave it a hard reset and turned it off for a few minutes to let the internals cool down. Naturally it warmed up again slightly because of I assume indexing but it's been fine ever since

Reactions: KurtWilde

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
Mines not got warm once apart from initial transfer from my previous iPhone.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Ten bucks says this is people who have never fast charged their iPhone before. They’ve got a 30W or better usb-c brick and are experiencing the heating that comes along with plugging it into that. If it’s happening when not plugged in then it’s probably indexing. Photos for example does a ton of stuff in the background for the first few days, recognizing objects and faces in all your photos etc.

MacDevil7334

Contributor
Oct 15, 2011
Austin TX
Yep this is happening to mine. Gets hot while charging, gets hot doing normal things like installing an app or taking a photo. Either the A17 has awful thermals or there is something wrong with mine. Got it yesterday at 8 AM and didn’t leave the Apple Store until all iMessages and photos were done restoring. So it’s not the phone “indexing”. Going to give it the rest of the day and then take it in if it’s not any better.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Yep this is happening to mine. Gets hot while charging, gets hot doing normal things like installing an app or taking a photo. Either the A17 has awful thermals or there is something wrong with mine. Got it yesterday at 8 AM and didn’t leave the Apple Store until all iMessages and photos were done restoring. So it’s not the phone “indexing”. Going to give it the rest of the day and then take it in if it’s not any better.

pro or pro max?

34 Volt

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2013
LA
Installed a bunch of 2GB+ apps last night on my PM, while it was downloading all my apps from the transfer. I launched up a few games today to patch/download updates, no issues. Got hot for a few seconds in the center when it was on the couch after I picked it up, then it cooled down pretty quick. Also using a silicone case.

thecautioners

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2022
Knock on wood I haven’t had any issues with my PM so far. Had some heavy camera usage outdoors for about an hour today and didn’t notice any excessive heat, stayed cooler than my 14PM probably would have, it liked to get toasty during camera sessions.

kelvin.lau

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2019
It got really hot this morning watching a Jerry Rig Anything video on his iPhone 15 Pro / Max review.

I am really confused since it never gets that hot in my old iPhone 14 Max

Reactions: jennyp
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.