Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hpscorpion

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020
So today I went ahead with my Genius bar appointment. The technician ran normal diagnostic tests and said that the device is fine.

I was carrying spouse's 14PM and showed him 15PM dimming brightness due to heating during load while 14PM maintaining the brightness. He went for a restore, but the issue persisted.

So, he replaced the phone. The new 15 PM is running noticeably cooler than previous phone. Will try the brightness comparison in next 3-4 day after things settle down in new phone.

it's better? They make it difficult replace, if you don't compare it with your iPhone 14 they probably wouldn't replace your phone.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
So is there a definite way to tell if the device is affected or not? Like a specific test or benchmark and steps to follow that show exactly how things are? Something repeatable and quantifiable.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
So is there a definite way to tell if the device is affected or not? Like a specific test or benchmark and steps to follow that show exactly how things are? Something repeatable and quantifiable.
For me its has been running Antutu benchmark on max brightness(auto brightness off). If the brightness dims before you are approaching test completion, means heat is building up in device. The 15PM that I got replaced could not sustain more than a couple of minutes from start of test.

Last edited:

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Literally only you can make that decision. Pick the color you like better.
When you return an item to Apple, that’s Apple actually resells the same item you returned I already returned two iPhones at my Apple Store blue titanium due to a display issue and then a black titan due to a camera issue and quality control and this will be due to overheating do the resale the device return as brand new?

I’m scared they would sell me the phone I returned in the past as brand new and then I would have to deal with that issue for some time.

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
For me its has been running Antutu benchmark on max brightness(auto brightness off). If the brightness dims before you are approaching test completion, means heat is building up in device. The 15PM that I got replaced could not sustain more than a couple of minutes from start of test.

Interesting. I ran it in a 79-80F room and the brightness stayed almost at the max levels during the test. The heat build-up wasn’t as much as with 3DMark torture test for example, which pushes to above 47C on the screen surface.

Overall the phone is cool enough during regular use, but definitely feels warmer while gaming compared to 13 Pro Max. I wonder if that’s just how A17 Pro chip is?

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
When you return an item to Apple, that’s Apple actually resells the same item you returned I already returned two iPhones at my Apple Store blue titanium due to a display issue and then a black titan due to a camera issue and quality control and this will be due to overheating do the resale the device return as brand new?

I’m scared they would sell me the phone I returned in the past as brand new and then I would have to deal with that issue for some time.

As far as I know, Apple doesn’t resell open box returns. They may recycle the phones and reuse the components for repair purposes or refurbish the phones when possible and sell them as refurbished at a discount, but I don’t know the details.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Interesting. I ran it in a 79-80F room and the brightness stayed almost at the max levels during the test. The heat build-up wasn’t as much as with 3DMark torture test for example, which pushes to above 47C on the screen surface.

Overall the phone is cool enough during regular use, but definitely feels warmer while gaming compared to 13 Pro Max. I wonder if that’s just how A17 Pro chip is?
Then you are good. No need to worry. By the way what were the scores?

maratus

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2009
Canada
Then you are good. No need to worry. By the way what were the scores?

I don’t like the increased screen temperature when playing certain old games, which aren’t even resource intensive. It’s uncomfortable for my thumbs, and 13PM was never like that, even while charging. I still think that my 15PM was cooler when setup as new, so it’s possible that indexing pictures and videos from a restore is still going on in the background (I restored it from a huge local backup a couple days ago). But it’s unlikely. A17 Pro is a huge overkill for most games, I wish it would slow down as long as the game is playable at 60-120 Hz. I don’t care if it renders 120 fps or 600 fps. It doesn’t affect the gameplay, but it definitely hurts the thumbs and the battery.

My highest score in Antutu V10.0.2, but this was a test run with very low screen brightness.

Total: 1599325
CPU: 377258
GPU: 583555
MEM: 290972
UX: 347540

If run when warm, the GPU can be as low as 427863, and CPU drops to 352636.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I charged again last night and took the silicone case of. The 15 Pro max developed the same heat as with the case. The guys who measured the temperature came to around 41 degrees Celsius which is quite warm/hot to touch. I will measure mine as well as soon I get an infrared thermometer. I still believe this is long term to hot for the battery or does these temperatures don’t matter for the battery? Apple says for operation the phone shouldn’t be above 35 degrees Celsius so when the battery goes over 40 this is quite a difference, isn’t it?

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
As far as I know, Apple doesn’t resell open box returns. They may recycle the phones and reuse the components for repair purposes or refurbish the phones when possible and sell them as refurbished at a discount, but I don’t know the details.
Good to know picking up my last phone today

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
For sure I wouldn't let myself get worried because of a single iPhone catching on fire. We know nothing of what that single Reddit user did.

nxt3

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
I wanted to report that I ran this on an iPhone 15 Pro with manufacture date in July 2023 and I had no issues completing the benchmark. My phone got a little warm but nothing uncomfortable--brightness was maintained throughout the test.

In normal usage for me: it's the Camera and Amazon that heat up my phone the most.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.