Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
I can confirm that 17.1 RC doesn't fix Overheating issue, at least on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I took some 15 random snaps from my air-conditioned office in quick succession using native apple Camera App(used all three lenses, portrait and macro). I did this after removing the phone from case, so that there is no barrier to heat dissipation. After shooting the frames were hot(more than warm).

And then I opened the native Apple Photos App, the sync was paused with three reasons in succession:

1. Syncing paused....... "iPhone Needs to cool down". Lasted 2 mins. Took a screenshot.
2. Syncing paused....... "Optimizing System Performance" Lasted 1 min.
3. Syncing paused....... "Optimizing Battery Power". Still persisting for over 8 mins. Took a screenshot.

Is it Processor overload coupled with Qualcom Modem overheating?

Attachments

• IMG_0063.PNG
    IMG_0063.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0064.PNG
    IMG_0064.PNG
    2.2 MB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Reactions: Sparxxx

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
I can confirm that 17.1 RC doesn't fix Overheating issue, at least on my iPhone 15 Pro Max. I took some 15 random snaps from my air-conditioned office in quick succession using native apple Camera App(used all three lenses, portrait and macro). I did this after removing the phone from case, so that there is no barrier to heat dissipation. After shooting the frames were hot(more than warm).

And then I opened the native Apple Photos App, the sync was paused with three reasons in succession:

1. Syncing paused....... "iPhone Needs to cool down". Lasted 2 mins. Took a screenshot.
2. Syncing paused....... "Optimizing System Performance" Lasted 1 min.
3. Syncing paused....... "Optimizing Battery Power". Still persisting for over 8 mins. Took a screenshot.

Is it Processor overload coupled with Snapdragon Modem overheating?

is your phone a restore from backup or new install?

Mine was a new install back for 7.0.3. Installed RC yesterday. Just snapped 15 photos using all the lenses and all in ProRAW. Phone was fine during the snapping; slightly warm for 30 seconds after the photos were taken, and then it cooled down immediately. Room temp is 65 degrees F.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
17.0.3 was installed with regular OTA. Issue persisted, so I did DFU restore of 17.0.3. Still no respite. 17.1 RC is OTA.

Was your phone in case? Try without case.

Last edited:

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
Lots of people on X are talking about how 15Pro and pro max are getting so hot they can’t even be held without a case

Has that been your experience?

Seems even if not a17 pro runs hot in general

Kinda disappointing given all the 3nm hype
But I think it will be magically fixed by next gen

Fortunately, I still can hold my phone okay. I hope all impacted users would get their issue fixed soon.

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
17.0.3 was installed with regular OTA. Issue persisted, so I did DFU restore of 17.0.3. Still no respite. 17.1 RC is OTA.

Was your phone in case? Try without case.
Just did and it’s again a little warm but heat dissipated fine even with a fine woven on

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Just did and it’s again a little warm but heat dissipated fine even with a fine woven on
Theoretically, ProRAW involves lesser processing. 24 MP HEIF format will heat it to max. The problem is, if you take 10-15 snaps in direct sunlight, beaches or anyplace where only your pocket is available for shade; The phone gets very hot; brightness goes down significantly, refresh rates drops significantly, scroll stutters like crazy. Phone becomes useless for next 5-10 mins.

Last edited:

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
Ridiculous.

I’m sitting this one out. Hopefully much is learned from this mess and IP16 will work normally.

• Haha
Reactions: hieubui

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
Theoretically, ProRAW involves lesser processing. 24 MP HEIF format will heat it to max. The problem is, if you take 10-15 snaps in direct sunlight, beaches or anyplace only your pocket is available for shade; The phone goes very hot; brightness goes down significantly, refresh rates drops significantly, scroll stutters like crazy. Phone becomes useless for next 5-10 mins.
I just repeated this with 15x 24mp HEIF shots. Cooler than ProRAW

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Theoretically, ProRAW involves lesser processing. 24 MP HEIF format will heat it to max. The problem is, if you take 10-15 snaps in direct sunlight, beaches or anyplace only your pocket is available for shade; The phone goes very hot; brightness goes down significantly, refresh rates drops significantly, scroll stutters like crazy. Phone becomes useless for next 5-10 mins.

That's exactly what I noticed too while on vacation and taking 100+ pictures every day on 24 MP HEIF.

And yes, ProRAW uses less CPU power and heats up way less. Just as 12 MP also heats way less.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
For what it is worth, my first 15PM ran really hot. Not when performing demanding tasks but when idling in my pocket after browsing Safari and/or performing some basic tasks with the phone. I got a refund a bought a new 15PM a week later.

Zero, I repeat, zero issues since....it only gets warm to the touch during charging.

hpscorpion

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2020

I also just updated to 17.1 rc and the problem is exactly the same as yours. I've been mentioning this here since I got the iPhone on day one.

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Less processing for ProRAW in some places and more in others. At the end of the day, at 48MP HEIF Max writes 5MB and ProRAW writes 75MB ... which is a very large difference.

It can be computationally expensive just to handle 15x the data at multiple stages of the image pipeline regardless of whether the file size is being reduced a lot in the final product.

Reactions: StudioMacs

Nikhil72

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2005
RC2 seems to get even less warm with 15 HEIF shots in a row 12-24MP with varying lenses. Anyone having issues may want to give it a try.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
RC2 seems to get even less warm with 15 HEIF shots in a row 12-24MP with varying lenses. Anyone having issues may want to give it a try.
RC1 was even worse in comparison to 17.0.3 for me. Will wait for Final release of 17.1.

I reverted my iPhone 15 PM to 17.0.3 from 17.1 RC1 using DFU restore. Yesterday, I did some side by side comparisons between my iPhone 15 PM and spouse's iPhone 14 PM. The observations:

1. I set auto brightness as "ON" in both phones, set auto-lock to "NEVER"; and opened a white screen on both the phones in direct sunlight, ambient being around 24 Deg C. Both shot brightness to max, almost identical, 15 PM being a little bit brighter. However, within 60 secs, the brightness of 15 PM dropped below 14 PM. 14 PM could maintain peak brightness in comparison to 15 PM. Both screens remained at similar temperatures.

2. Then I disabled auto brightness on both phones and again soft reset both phones. Waited for an hour for both phones to return to normal. 15 PM was at 50% battery and 14 PM was at 18% battery. Now, I set brightness to max on both phones(again both at similar levels) and ran AnTutu Bench application on both phones. Within 120 secs or so, 15PM reduced its brightness few notches lower than 14PM. 14 PM maintained max brightness throughout the test, without dimming even once. The temperature of 15 PM was 2-4 Deg Cel more than 14 PM.

So my take is iPhone 15 PM is not able to maintain peak brightness after a while and 14 PM could do so through out the AnTutu run even though it had 18% battery. The dimming has got to do something with internal heat buildup.

My whole issue of heating started from use of iPhone 15 PM in direct sunlight(Field visits are a part of my work), within 5 mins, the phone got very hot, screen went very dim and refresh rate reduced to so low that scroll became jittery. iPhone 14 PM never did this even once. I have used it for significantly longer in direct sunlight.

On a side note, iPhone 15 PM(LHS) scores less in Memory and UX in comparison to iPhone 14 PM.

Attachments

• compare.jpg
    compare.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Reactions: hpscorpion

LLW902

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2022
iphone 15 pro is now overheating when charging via magsafe overnight. Was great for the first two weeks and now I cant use magsafe at night. Tried my normal belkin 3 in 1 and last night tried the OEM Apple magsafe puck with the same issue. Phone gets to like 90%, charging pauses due to heat and i wake up with like 70% battery life. 17.0.3
Experienced something like this as well with the 15 pro- left phone on Anker cube charger in standby mode at around 60-70%, woke up near morning to find it at 6% and quite hot. Turned it back to horizontal and it cooled off and recharged, albeit slowly. Seeing "home & lock screen" at the top of the battery usage by app metrics sure is a trip.

Felder71

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2008
My 15P definitely feels like it gets warmer that expected when I'm not doing a whole lot special. Just using basic apps and stuff. Definitely more so than my 13. But it never feels hot - it just feels like it's warmer than I'm used to and maybe that has something to do with the titanium or whatever. That said, I don't feel like I get the battery life that I should, based on previous experience. But not really sure what I can compare it to.

cookiemonster89

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2012
I don‘t know if this belongs to overheating but my 15 Pro Max gets very warm during charging with the 20 W charger. Is this normal and will this affect battery health in some way or is this safe nowadays and the battery is ok when it heats up during charging? I also used a usb c to usb a cable to use the old 5W changer for comparison. While using this one the phones stays cool to touch all the time.

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
RC1 was even worse in comparison to 17.0.3 for me. Will wait for Final release of 17.1.

I reverted my iPhone 15 PM to 17.0.3 from 17.1 RC1 using DFU restore. Yesterday, I did some side by side comparisons between my iPhone 15 PM and spouse's iPhone 14 PM. The observations:

1. I set auto brightness as "ON" in both phones, set auto-lock to "NEVER"; and opened a white screen on both the phones in direct sunlight, ambient being around 24 Deg C. Both shot brightness to max, almost identical, 15 PM being a little bit brighter. However, within 60 secs, the brightness of 15 PM dropped below 14 PM. 14 PM could maintain peak brightness in comparison to 15 PM. Both screens remained at similar temperatures.

2. Then I disabled auto brightness on both phones and again soft reset both phones. Waited for an hour for both phones to return to normal. 15 PM was at 50% battery and 14 PM was at 18% battery. Now, I set brightness to max on both phones(again both at similar levels) and ran AnTutu Bench application on both phones. Within 120 secs or so, 15PM reduced its brightness few notches lower than 14PM. 14 PM maintained max brightness throughout the test, without dimming even once. The temperature of 15 PM was 2-4 Deg Cel more than 14 PM.

So my take is iPhone 15 PM is not able to maintain peak brightness after a while and 14 PM could do so through out the AnTutu run even though it had 18% battery. The dimming has got to do something with internal heat buildup.

My whole issue of heating started from use of iPhone 15 PM in direct sunlight(Field visits are a part of my work), within 5 mins, the phone got very hot, screen went very dim and refresh rate reduced to so low that scroll became jittery. iPhone 14 PM never did this even once. I have used it for significantly longer in direct sunlight.

On a side note, iPhone 15 PM(LHS) scores less in Memory and UX in comparison to iPhone 14 PM.
So today I went ahead with my Genius bar appointment. The technician ran normal diagnostic tests and said that the device is fine.

I was carrying spouse's 14PM and showed him 15PM dimming brightness due to heating during load while 14PM maintaining the brightness. He went for a restore, but the issue persisted.

So, he replaced the phone. The new 15 PM is running noticeably cooler than previous phone. Will try the brightness comparison in next 3-4 day after things settle down in new phone.

NickYanakiev

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2016
So today I went ahead with my Genius bar appointment. The technician ran normal diagnostic tests and said that the device is fine.

I was carrying spouse's 14PM and showed him 15PM dimming brightness due to heating during load while 14PM maintaining the brightness. He went for a restore, but the issue persisted.

So, he replaced the phone. The new 15 PM is running noticeably cooler than previous phone. Will try the brightness comparison in next 3-4 day after things settle down in new phone.
Seems like the same case I had. Defective units slipping through QC?

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
My phone was heating up a bit too much seated in a car with bright sunlight inside. Behaved normally once the sun went down a bit. So much of this is dependent on things like ambient light, etc … and perhaps even manufacturing variance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.