Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
View attachment 2288891

'addresses a significant overheating issue'

Quite the 180 after this post of it being a nothing burger with false assurances:

What a paid shill lol
It‘s not too challenging for the average reader to discern the difference between what he writes and what he cites. MacRumors can call it significant in this article, but in a previous one write that none of the staff has experienced the issue. ;)

Have you been affected by this issue?

Reactions: LouisPiper

dan428

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2018
View attachment 2288891

'addresses a significant overheating issue'

Quite the 180 after this post of it being a nothing burger with false assurances:

What a paid shill lol
He was right.. it is a nothing burger because all the claims about it being a hardware issue were clearly false. The article I posted above noted that the same issues were found to affect other iPhones on 17 the same way, when they used the crappy apps (instagram etc)

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It‘s not too challenging for the average reader to discern the difference between what he writes and what he cites. MacRumors can call it significant in this article, but in a previous one write that none of the staff has experienced the issue. ;)

Have you been affected by this issue?

I don’t think he’s contesting it

I’m aware it’s citing MR but he isn’t adding his own commentary as he so often does

I don’t have a 15 pro or pro max. Still on 14 pro max. Don’t have a fight to pick I just don’t gaslight others into believing no one has an issue with their device

As I’ve stated before I believe people who have no heat issues. I also believe others who do have heat issues. For most people this isn’t their first iPhone and this isn’t the first time they’ve been told or aware that first couple days involve indexing; etc. I have more faith in the general knowledge iOS users possess vs being treated as helpless cattle with no understanding of the behavior of their own device

As always ymmv

Reactions: Sully

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
As I’ve stated before I believe people who have no heat issues. I also believe others who do have heat issues. For most people this isn’t their first iPhone and this isn’t the first time they’ve been told or aware that first couple days involve indexing; etc. I have more faith in the general knowledge iOS users possess vs being treated as helpless cattle with no understanding of the behavior of their own device

You were one of the first to post the heat issue on these forums. You were 100% right to do so.

So now we have an iOS update. Good. It remains to be seen what, if any, effect the update has. It may be the case it's all software-related.

But in no way is there a definitive answer whether other things also contributed to the issue, including the A17 chip itself, the N3 process, the reduced specs to increase chip yield, titanium frame, and many other possibilities, from components to batteries to new overseas manufacturers. We got a long way to go on this one.

Reactions: Sully

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
But in no way is there a definitive answer whether other things also contributed to the issue, including the A17 chip itself, the N3 process, the reduced specs to increase chip yield, titanium frame, and many other possibilities, from components to batteries to new overseas manufacturers. We got a long way to go on this one.

Right, Gruber is saying unambiguously it's instagram and the rest of it is a 'nothingburger'

whereas some are saying they get their phone heating up after being on a call for a few minutes, or taking a few pics, and don't ever use or have Instagram and Uber.

I agree, the verdict isn't out. We shouldn't be shy about that fact.

That's why people sharing their experiences sheds some light on it vs no light being shed.

Will be interesting with iOS 17.0.3+ in the mix now

rkuo

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2010
Right, Gruber is saying unambiguously it's instagram and the rest of it is a 'nothingburger'

whereas some are saying they get their phone heating up after being on a call for a few minutes, or taking a few pics, and don't ever use or have Instagram and Uber.

That's why people sharing their experiences sheds some light on it vs no light being shed.

Well this problem this is the sort of situation where only numbers can tell the real story. It's really not unlike the raft of people coming in claiming their new phones look too yellow every year when the problem is their old phones drifted blue over time.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

my overheating issue had nothing to do with instagram, and im on it a lot over the course of the day. mine was predominantly during phone calls, even short duration calls. all overheating issues were solved after I installed iOS 17.1 beta 1, which led me to conclude early on that it was software and wasn't anything hardware related.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
Same. I think it’s not only instagram. Might be also other apps and constellations that cause software hang ups or whatever.

The most problem I suffered was during phone calls that it got so hot… but I had that with my iPhone 14 Pro Max before on iOS 17 too

It seems at the moment that 17.1 beta 2 „fixed“ it. More time will tell

sstiwari

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2017
Same. I think it’s not only instagram. Might be also other apps and constellations that cause software hang ups or whatever.

The most problem I suffered was during phone calls that it got so hot… but I had that with my iPhone 14 Pro Max before on iOS 17 too

It seems at the moment that 17.1 beta 2 „fixed“ it. More time will tell
Mine is native Camera and Photos App. The moment I start taking snaps, iPhone 15 PM starts heating and the issue persists even with 17.0.3.

Reactions: nxt3 and hpscorpion

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Apple’s statement over the weekend acknowledged “a few conditions which can cause iPhone to run warmer than expected.”

Apple’s 17.0.3 release notes state “addresses an issue that may cause iPhone to run warmer than expected.”

From personal experience with other devices, and from reading comments on the web, it’s clear this wasn’t limited to the 15 Pro and Pro Max.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Apple’s statement over the weekend acknowledged “a few conditions which can cause iPhone to run warmer than expected.”

Apple’s 17.0.3 release notes state “addresses an issue that may cause iPhone to run warmer than expected.”

From personal experience with other devices, and from reading comments on the web, it’s clear this wasn’t limited to the 15 Pro and Pro Max.

From reading other comments, I gathered that while not exclusive to 15 pro and pro max it impacted those devices much more often than other devices.

Anecdotally someone I know who has a 15 plus uses instagram quite a bit and has no heat issues on 17.0.2

I cautioned to not update to .3 for now if things are already working fine

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
iphone 15 pro is now overheating when charging via magsafe overnight. Was great for the first two weeks and now I cant use magsafe at night. Tried my normal belkin 3 in 1 and last night tried the OEM Apple magsafe puck with the same issue. Phone gets to like 90%, charging pauses due to heat and i wake up with like 70% battery life. 17.0.3

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
iphone 15 pro is now overheating when charging via magsafe overnight. Was great for the first two weeks and now I cant use magsafe at night. Tried my normal belkin 3 in 1 and last night tried the OEM Apple magsafe puck with the same issue. Phone gets to like 90%, charging pauses due to heat and i wake up with like 70% battery life. 17.0.3
What app does your battery activity show is using battery overnight?

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
My iPhone 15 Pro Max got hot while being on the wireless charging + installing many apps at the same time. But so far no "overheat warning" showed up yet. So looking good so far here.

teeshot44

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2015
US
Just FWIW, 15 PM on 17.0.3. Had 2 separate 4 hour Webex meetings yesterday. Phone was not connected to a charger during the first meeting. Connected to a MagSafe charger during the 2nd meeting. Absolutely no heat issues during either session. Installed 17.1 B3 last night before bed. Charged all night on MagSafe with Standby on. Just finished a 2 hour Webex meeting off charger. No heating issues overnight or today. Wife's 14 Pro charges on MagSafe and also no heating issues.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Just FWIW, 15 PM on 17.0.3. Had 2 separate 4 hour Webex meetings yesterday. Phone was not connected to a charger during the first meeting. Connected to a MagSafe charger during the 2nd meeting. Absolutely no heat issues during either session. Installed 17.1 B3 last night before bed. Charged all night on MagSafe with Standby on. Just finished a 2 hour Webex meeting off charger. No heating issues overnight or today. Wife's 14 Pro charges on MagSafe and also no heating issues.
So you had no heat issues with 17.0.3 and the 17.1 beta?

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, it’s fixed - praise the lord👌🏻

LouisPiper

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2021
hopefully the 17.1 update fixes the people that get hot and just make everyone else's battery a little bit better. thankfully i'm good on my 15 Pro, but I don't use instagram. Mostly Outlook, Teams and Chrome for 3rd party apps and messages and camera for built in stuff.
Teams doesn't melt your phone? I'll drop 15-20% on an hour long call

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.