Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I see, so now we're supposed to spend even more money to save Apple's reputation just so our fancy "best ever" - Timmmey Cook - iPhones can function and won't melt.
This reminds me of my intel 2020 16 inch Macbook Pro. It got hot and noisy even from watching youtube videos. Towards the end of my ownership I hated using it.

Traded it in last year for a well specced M1 13 inch MBP which is silent and cool.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
im in the middle of a 1 and half hour phone call, off the charger over AirPods and glad to report no excess heat at all. I threw it only the non-apple MagSafe puck with a 20w Anker wall adapter and it isn't heating up much at all on the charger either. I'm still on iOS 17.1 beta 1.

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
im in the middle of a 1 and half hour phone call, off the charger over AirPods and glad to report no excess heat at all. I threw it only the non-apple MagSafe puck with a 20w Anker wall adapter and it isn't heating up much at all on the charger either. I'm still on iOS 17.1 beta 1.

I hooked up the puck to a Samsung 25w charger for a test. The back of the puck got super-hot, but the phone stayed pretty cool. I can't even say it got warm.

It is so weird how different people are getting different results.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I hooked up the puck to a Samsung 25w charger for a test. The back of the puck got super-hot, but the phone stayed pretty cool. I can't even say it got warm.

It is so weird how different people are getting different results.

you on 17.0.2 or 17.1?

im on the phone 2 hrs 39 mins and its still cool to the touch and the battery is barely impacted. so far this seems promising.

Reactions: ^^BIGMac

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
you on 17.0.2 or 17.1?

im on the phone 2 hrs 39 mins and its still cool to the touch and the battery is barely impacted. so far this seems promising.

My own experience: initial restore from backup, warm. Download 30GB of Kindle books over wifi 6E, hot. First time I streamed audiobook over car stereo bluetooth, hot.

That was the first three days. But since then, no hot or even really warm, including audiobook streaming. Never an issue with wireless charging (though my charger does have a fan built in).

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

My own experience: initial restore from backup, warm. Download 30GB of Kindle books over wifi 6E, hot. First time I streamed audiobook over car stereo bluetooth, hot.

That was the first three days. But since then, no hot or even really warm, including audiobook streaming. Never an issue with wireless charging (though my charger does have a fan built in).

my issues didn't resolve until I got onto 17.1. I still think the heat issues are software related, potentially with the upgrading to 17.0.2 via the quick start menu. I mean many people with the same OS and hardware have no issues, others do. I don't think it's hardware related in the end. after a software upgrade, im no longer having issues. so to me, I can't agree its necessarily hardware at this point.

Chrisjmv

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2016
My fix that I found out so far for battery drain / heat:

Disabled AW Ultra Bluetooth and WiFi.
And the 2nd. Disabled my eSIM and completely mobile services on my iPhone only on WiFi - no more heat like before and battery lasts a lot longer than before.

But this shouldn’t be a long term solution.
I think it’s still a software problem related to the mobile modem and some connections between Apple Watch devices (at least) for me

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Was in WhatsApp and wanted to share a pic from 2021. so I really scrolled fast through my library and phone got hot instant and I lost 2 % in matter of seconds.

I closed WhatsApp and it was cool pretty quickly

xxBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2020
Guys can someone please take a few pics (about 10) in HEIF MAX and can report if phone gets hot and drains battery like crazy?

Took a few pics and adjusted the portrait effect and phone got warm (not hot that you can’t touch it) and battery dropped from 45% to 30% in about 10-15 min

^^BIGMac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2009
This is encouraging but what of the users who are complaining about over heating when on a damn phone call. :mad:

ryansebiz

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2008
Ten bucks says this is people who have never fast charged their iPhone before. They’ve got a 30W or better usb-c brick and are experiencing the heating that comes along with plugging it into that. If it’s happening when not plugged in then it’s probably indexing. Photos for example does a ton of stuff in the background for the first few days, recognizing objects and faces in all your photos etc.

“We have also found a bug in iOS 17 that is impacting some users and will be addressed in a software update.”

Can you send me the $10 via Apple Cash?

• Haha
Reactions: unobtainium

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The over heating issue is real and Apple finally acknowledged it. They will update software. I’m curious as to whether the cpu still runs 9% better over the 14 PM when the cure is released.

Anyway, it is funny how I have lost interest in the topic now that it has been addressed by Apple. This was a whole lot more fun before that happened. 🤣

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
The over heating issue is real and Apple finally acknowledged it. They will update software. I’m curious as to whether the cpu still runs 9% better over the 14 PM when the cure is released.

Anyway, it is funny how I have lost interest in the topic now that it has been addressed by Apple. This was a whole lot more fun before that happened. 🤣
Because the deniers have to shut up, threads become quiet and back to civil discussions of how to deal with the heat while waiting for the patch. Before this the debate was vivid.

But yes this is actually much quicker than I thought, compared to the butterfly KB fiasco, like the 3rd year in you can still see posters denying it.

Reactions: ryansebiz

JackieDaytona

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2020
My iPhone 15 Pro Max went into overheat mode today after just 10 minutes in 85° temperatures. I haven’t experienced this behavior since around the time of the iPhone 4, which then involved extended exposure to triple digit heat. Something is majorly wrong with either the software or new architecture.

mrblog47

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2009
I would really be interested in seeing benchmark tests with 17.1. Did they down clock or undervolt or something? Or just a bug in 17.
iPhone 15 Pro on 17.1 benchmarked maybe an hour or two after updating. Still fast according to Geekbench averages but still fairly hot while running the benchmark - but that’s expected.
Worst case of high temps for me was on an hour long FaceTime call on 17.0.2. Very uncomfortable to hold the device and was shocking enough for my wife to recoil when held against her skin briefly.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.png
    IMG_0003.png
    190.6 KB · Views: 45

beeboy100

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2019
Lots of people on X are talking about how 15Pro and pro max are getting so hot they can’t even be held without a case

Has that been your experience?

Seems even if not a17 pro runs hot in general

Kinda disappointing given all the 3nm hype
But I think it will be magically fixed by next gen

Too expensive so I didn’t buy one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.