Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kaminokage

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2010
Don’t judge it for the first couple of days as phone try to index all the crap you transferred to it while you are not using it.

P.s. On my 11 pro max sometimes I had a strange issue where it started to heat like crazy, until I basically closed safari and “cleared the RAM” (long press on any icon on your desktop until they start to jiggle)

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
I wonder how hot the phone will become when playing AAA console games such as Death Stranding and Assassins Creed: Mirage.

• Haha
Reactions: War833

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
15 pro max 512GB here.

Been using it for 2 days, during setup restore and charging, of course it got hot, that I can accept.

But after that was done yesterday, today I took mine out with a normal Sunday usage pattern. Not even touching it much, take occasional photos, use GPS, syncing with Watch as I did outdoor exercise; the battery seems to burn fast-ish, and the heat is not good. I came from 13 pro and 13 mini, and never imagined a pro max line's heat behaviour can be reduced to be similar to the mini. With such a big chassis you would think it helps dissipation, but no, the back glass around the A17 pro chip area is VERY warm. In fact if I take it out of a MagSafe charging session, that area is BURNING.

Please do not dismiss this issue as hyperbole, I have been using iPhones since 3G, and never had an experience as bad as this, especially on the flag ship plus size. I have already seen the "please wait for your phone to cool down before resume charging" warning at least 3 times now.

P.S. in my location the current climate is still hot-ish, today the hottest moment was probably 32 degrees C and I was outside in the sun. But this "overheating" behaviour also happens when I was in my room, MagSafe charging with the windows totally shaded.

klaudio

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2021
Milan, Italy
My phone got very hot during setup yesterday, like to the point it was uncomfortable to touch, and since then has been a normal temperature with no discomfort. It’ll take a while to see but I think this issue is overblown and will be smoothed over with software updates.

Same here (iPhone 15 Pro) and also stopped charging until temp back to normal. I though it was due to the initial setup and restore.

Now noticing that even during calls longer than few minutes it get pretty hot. Never happened to previous iPhones.

Hope an update can fix this.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Solution: Buy a magsafe stand that has cooling fans for the iphone. I have one for my 15 Pro and after charging it's cool unlike when I use a cable.

IMG_3123.jpeg
IMG_3122.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg

PgR7

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2023
Same here (iPhone 15 Pro) and also stopped charging until temp back to normal. I though it was due to the initial setup and restore.

Now noticing that even during calls longer than few minutes it get pretty hot. Never happened to previous iPhones.

Hope an update can fix this.
The only way to fix that is decreasing the performance...They went for the more performance for more power consumption route...

Reactions: Sully

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Got hot while I transferred my stuff from the 14PM. I experience this every year on launch day. Afterwards I’m chilling. BTW it’s hot over here in sunny Miami.

Reactions: mel823

kvlq

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015

maverick786us

macrumors regular
May 30, 2012
Columbus, GA

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
mind sharing a link witht that MagSafe stand? also, do you need AW charger or it's built-in? I only see one cable plugged into the stand , but there is another cable behind the watch that makes me confused.
You need the AW charger which is wound up neatly inside the base which has two types of usb ports. I don't mind this as I considered other magsafe stands but a few had poor reviews for the built in AW charger. Ultimately no stand is perfect. Every single one has pros and cons.

IMG_8746.jpeg

Reactions: dms_91

NdTonks

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2021

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
Cool stand, but no one should have to buy a charger that has a fan attached to keep their phone cool. Something is very wrong here if this is a valid solution.
I have lived through worse heat woes. Like owning a ps4.

Hopefully now more people will appreciate why the Nintendo switch is somewhat Underpowered.

If you push performance to the limit in a small form factor with passive cooling and a case, the device is likely to get warm.

Reactions: Saturn1217

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
My iPhone 15 Pro got warm for a few hours while setting it all up -- transferring from old phone, re-downloading apps, pairing new Apple Watch. But after a few hours, it cooled off and it's been 100% fine ever since. I don't really play games, but so far it's not heating up doing normal phone things.

Reactions: dms_91

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Yup, well known YouTubers now have sponsorship money for cooling fans on the back.

Money talks, and so the overheating issue must be real - especially for gaming!

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
My 15 pro was warm in set up but has been fine since and we qsnnever as hitnas my pixel 7 got when browsing on 4g

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
My 15Pro gets warm from using as it a hot spot for the ipad. I can't begin to image hot warm it would get from playing a triple a game like assassin's creed.

Reactions: jennyp

DustinDev47

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2011
Mine hasn’t been hot one time since setup, so that’s good news. Don’t need to hear about how all phones do this…been setting up iPhones since 2008 and have never had one get as hot as this one did during setup. I’m aware that electronics get warm with use/charging. This wasn’t warm. It was hot.

Sully

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
As an early adapter of the 2016 MacBook Pro, these reports give me pause. If the A17 chip has a design defect, the only way to fix it will be to cripple the performance with a software fix. No thanks Apple.

Reactions: Saturn1217
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.