Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
[QUOTE = "Morpheo, poste: 21465125, membre: 878870"] Pas sûr que je comprends ce que vous voulez dire par «extraire le boot.efi" (ou peut-être que vous vouliez dire "extraire le noyau ", il suffit de décompresser et de remplacer le boot-original? EFI avec CELUI-CI (gris ou noir est à vous) sur votre clé USB:

- System / Library / CoreServices
- Usr / standalone / i386

Il est vraiment la même procédure pour El Capitan comme il était pour Yosemite.

Pour rappel, et je l'espère, il ne me dérange pas, je l'ai attaché les instructions Hennesie2000 ainsi.

(PS: ressemble à google translate déteste Paris et spécialement la 17e : P) [/ QUOTE]

hello morpheo
I mean when I open system / library / coresservice I took the efi boot and I was up the trash , I drcompresse that of pike and I slid in place .
(ps: I can give you my email shook it simpler)
cordially

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
[QUOTE = "Morpheo, poste: 21465248, membre: 878870"] Qu'advient-il alors?

(Continuateur de Nous pouvons par MP et en français si vous voulez) [/ QUOTE]

[QUOTE = "Morpheo, poste: 21465248, membre: 878870"] Qu'advient-IL alors?

(Continuateur de Nous pouvons par MP et en français si vous voulez) [/ QUOTE]

quand je fais mon usb de cette manière le mac démarre et bloquer l'écran gris avec la pomme.
et je remarque que l'EFI je mets à la poubelle ressemble à une feuille de papier et celle de pike est un carré noir, je me demande si cela est normal

Last edited:

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
quand je fais mon usb de cette manière le mac démarre et bloquer l'écran gris avec la pomme.
et je remarque que l'EFI je mets à la poubelle ressemble à une feuille de papier et celle de pike est un carré noir, je me demande si cela est normal

Check your Private Messages, next to your username on the MacRumors menu... Other members don't really care about posts written in french - and more importantly can't be of any help.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
OK, got OS X El Capitan running on my good old Mac Pro 1,1 flashed to 2,1.

As was mentioned before by Peter Holbrook, you really need an alternate startup drive from which to select Startup Disk from to boot OSXEC. The Yosemite Install up on Mega worked just fine for me for this purpose.

I've got it running with an ATI 5770 for now, seems respectably.. snappy. :)

Reactions: crjackson2134

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
What the prize was? ;) :p :D

Installed on a 5,1 first, I was too lazy to build an installer.
Removing boot.efi requires adding rootless=0 to com.apple.Boot.plist.
Or just remove it under another OS.

Hi there Sheep.

You offered your time {thank you} in helping me get my retail Mac Edition 7950 working in my 1,1->2,1 running Yosemite (Pike).

Do you have your 7000 series card installed and in this version of El Capitan, is metal supported on your Mac?

As far as I can tell, this is the easiest way to get Metal support on Mac Pro 1,1 or 2,1. /*edit - with boot screen*/

Thanks,

FireArse

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
hello
I made a usb to install El Capitan on the mac 2.1 system installs but when it redemare it gets stuck on a gray screen with the apple 's how I have to help me thank you
cordially

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
I've got it running with an ATI 5770 for now, seems respectably.. snappy. :)

hehe good to know! To date I only tried it on my 5,1 to see if the 5770 was supported by Metal. I've read that iStatsMenu didn't work with 10.11 yet - which is too bad I would be curious to see if there's any improvement with transparency turned on.

Earl Urley

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2014
Couple of other observations:

Grapher looked pretty smooth, usually beta releases make it run/look like bad flash animation.

BOINC kept getting GPU computation errors, guess they changed the OpenCL hooks, CPU tasks ran quickly enough to be updated in real time though.

I managed to make a bootable El Capitan installer for the MP 1,1 according to the instructions posted for Yosemite in the PDF, applied to the beta installer. It booted, successfully installed, but at the end it said it couldn't bless the system folder for some reason. Rebooting gave me the Piker screen but it locked up at the end of the thermometer wait. Only by adding another bootable Yosemite drive was I able to successfully boot to El Capitan.

The new Mission Control kicks ass.

I wouldn't run EC without at least 8 GB.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
BOINC kept getting GPU computation errors, guess they changed the OpenCL hooks, CPU tasks ran quickly enough to be updated in real time though.

I managed to make a bootable El Capitan installer for the MP 1,1 according to the instructions posted for Yosemite in the PDF, applied to the beta installer. It booted, successfully installed, but at the end it said it couldn't bless the system folder for some reason. Rebooting gave me the Piker screen but it locked up at the end of the thermometer wait. Only by adding another bootable Yosemite drive was I able to successfully boot to El Capitan.

hmm not sure I want to get to through all the trouble for just a DP, as tempting as it is maybe I should just wait at least for the public beta...

javirnat

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2015
Valldemossa (Baleares Spain)
I only want to say thank you for all people (Morpheo, Piker,Nekas,Tiamo,Sfott...and all others ) in this forum who work hard for mac pro 1.1 users like I, because with your work we have the latest OS X and much more. New live for our great mac pro 1.1 or 2.1 .(and El Capitan).
Sorry for my bad english. And long live to all hackers and all of you.

Reactions: sweetspud

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Hi there Sheep.

You offered your time {thank you} in helping me get my retail Mac Edition 7950 working in my 1,1->2,1 running Yosemite (Pike).

Do you have your 7000 series card installed and in this version of El Capitan, is metal supported on your Mac?

As far as I can tell, this is the easiest way to get Metal support on Mac Pro 1,1 or 2,1. /*edit - with boot screen*/

Thanks,

FireArse

Yes, Metal works on any 7xxx card.

Reactions: FireArse

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I don't know how relevant this might be, but it appears as if the El Capitan DP2 (or maybe even DP1) has a boot.efi in place that I haven't seen before, whereby Software Update messages (or may be other processes as well) are displayed, such as "Installing Software Update: About 20 minutes". I've seen this while updating my Fusion VM of El Capitan to DP2. Naturally, it uses the stock boot.efi, not Pike's. I wonder how Pike's boot.efi would behave trying to display such a message, supposing it is able to do such a thing. Any suggestions?

Edit: Just to be on the safe side, I've just got in touch with Pike in case he is able to do something about it (supposing such a thing is pertinent).

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Peter, it displays messages just fine (see attachments). I installed only one update, without Recovery and Epson s**t, so it says what you see. DP2 replaces the boot.efi, so I had to replace it again manually in the middle of update process. Next it completed installation without issues. Pike's boot.efi still works as it should.

Since PikeYoseFix does not work in ElCap, we need to rewrite it a bit I guess.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 626
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 585
Reactions: PeterHolbrook

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Untitled.jpg
OS X 10.11 El Capitan Beta 2 1.0 does indeed replace both the boot.efi as well as the PlatformSupport.plist. I have always felt that the thorough method to eliminate any boot.efi surprise and return the Pike Alpha boot.efi file if and when necessary is to open the update package/installer in Pacifist and initially confirm that the update is indeed replacing the boot.efi file. Once confirmed, apply the update then in restarting, boot instead to a partition/drive that you have previously allowed root access. Replace each of the boot.efi files in both the Core Services folder and the Standalone\i386 folder and be done with it.

Last edited:

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
gpatpandp: PlatformSupport.plist does mean nothing in this case, so it can be safely ignored.
When I'll have some time I'll try to get PikeYoseFix running on ElCap to make updates painless again.

EDIT:
I have very good news: PikeYoseFix works perfectly with DP2 after adding rootless=0 to com.apple.Boot.plist. You need to reboot of course after editing the file.
Ignore incompatibility message during installation and choose "install anyway".

I was getting strange error during installation of script in DP1 (unfortunately didn't take a screenshot and I don't remember what the message was saying).

Last edited:

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
gpatpandp: PlatformSupport.plist does mean nothing in this case, so it can be safely ignored.
When I'll have some time I'll try to get PikeYoseFix running on ElCap to make updates painless again.

My bad I should have clarified...along with the OS X 10.11 Beta 2 update, there is also a Recovery Partition 1.0 update. This update also replaces all existing boot.efi and PlatformSupport.plist files. Both files must be replaced in order for the OS X 10.11 Beta 2 Recovery partition to boot once again.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
hello
I come to help when I want to do the installation key for El Capitan is the endof the restoration in disk utility , he said, impossible to analyze " installESD " (unable to allocate memory ) how I have to do to set up my key thank you

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Peter, it displays messages just fine (see attachments). I installed only one update, without Recovery and Epson s**t, so it says what you see. DP2 replaces the boot.efi, so I had to replace it again manually in the middle of update process. Next it completed installation without issues. Pike's boot.efi still works as it should.

I've just got word from Pike. He's mentioned that the new installation information in El Capitan's boot.efi entails some changes to his boot.efi for old Mac Pros. We should expect some changes in the near future. I suppose he won't compile the source code himself, so it'll be up to us to compile a newer, more intelligent boot.efi for El Capitan.

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis
I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but instead of copying "boot.efi" to two locations, can you just link one to the other?

Code:
ln -s /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
Apple don't do that themselves. The files are identical, but one is locked, whereas the other isn't. I would be surprised if your suggestion worked. Try it and let us know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.