Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
[QUOTE = "PeterHolbrook, poste: 21511795, membre: 364717"] d'Apple ne faites pas cela eux-mêmes. Les fichiers sont identiques, mais une est verrouillé, tandis que l'autre non. Je serais surpris si votre suggestion travaillé. Essayez-le et laissez-nous savoir. [/ QUOTE]

hello
I come to you for help, I made an installer on a USB key el capitan but when I test the instaler on the mac it tells me that the system is already instaler on this computer. If you can tell me how to install it squeezed well. I thank you in advance, best regards

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I come to you for help, I made an installer on a USB key el capitan but when I test the instaler on the mac it tells me that the system is already instaler on this computer. If you can tell me how to install it squeezed well. I thank you in advance, best regards

I suggest that you study the relevant thread regarding Yosemite on an old Mac Pro. Several people reported a problem similar to the one you are experiencing, but I don't remember what precisely the did wrong. In any case, it should be made clear in that thread.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
What are you talking about? SFOTT for Yosemite uses Pike's boot.efi. In any case, 666sheep has disclosed that Pike's boot does just fine as it is now.

I was certain that it used Tiamo's, unless that's incorrect. Anyway, it would be easier for most people to use that program.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
So, for those who have installed it already: How do your machines run? I might end up getting an SSD for mine; however, currently, I have a 3Ghz 1,1 Mac Pro w/4GB of 667Mhz DDR2, a little WD Caviar Blue 7200RPM HDD, and an ATI Radeon 5770 1GB. I am running Mountain Lion right now, and things seem to be okay. Sometimes, it seems as if applications I haven't opened in a few hours take longer to open than usual. (I hope nothing is wrong with my SATA controller, as it seems that the HDD is peppy for the most part but slows down at times... maybe my Dropbox?) Otherwise, it's okay, but I know that Mavericks, Yosemite, and now El Capitan (I'm from California and am still iffy about the name) take a larger toll on resources.

Also, does anyone know if El Capitan is certainly NOT attainable with the GPU that I currently own? is 'Metal' unavoidable in the OS?

Last edited:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I was certain that it used Tiamo's, unless that's incorrect. Anyway, it would be easier for most people to use that program.
SFOTT for Mavericks (and possibly for Mountain Lion) uses Tiamo's boot.efi. SFOTT for Yosemite uses Pike's boot.efi. Tiamo's boot.efi doesn't work for Yosemite at all.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
The race is on.

Who's the first to get OS X version 10.11 El Capitan booting perfectly on a 2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1)?

The techniques to boot Yosemite on unsupported Mac Pros may work. There are also a few more newer native boot loaders around: Pike's own clang fork and Andy Vandijck's andyvand fork.

UPDATE: Only one day later, 666sheep did it first!

The preferred approach that can be used to boot OS X 10.11 El Capitan Developer Beta 1 on unsupported Map Pro models is the Piker-Alpha macosxbootloader:

This method, a fork of boot.efi boot loader that thunks EFI64 calls from the 64-bit OS X kernel to the EFI32 firmware.
The simplest install on a 2006/2007 Mac Pro is to use a second El Capitan-supported Mac and install El Capitan to the 2006/2007 Mac Pro's drive. This may be done either by attaching the 2006/2007 Mac Pro's drive as an external drive by placing the 2006/2007 Mac Pro in target disk mode or otherwise mounting the 2006/2007 Mac Pro's drive to an El Capitan-supported Mac.

Then, after installation, copy Pike's EFI32 boot.efi to that drive's /usr/standalone/i386 and /System/Library/CoreServices/ directories overwriting the stock Apple EFI64 boot.efi and repair permissions. That drive should now be bootable on a 2006/2007 Mac Pro, although sometimes it still may need to be blessed in the 2006/2007 Mac Pro.

Alternatively, adding rootless=0 to com.apple.Boot.plist allows replacing the boot.efi in-place.

Just to be clear: If I already have a MP 2.1 running Yosemite 10.10.4 to be exact, all I have to do is connect the existing HD either through target disk mode or as an external to a supported Mac, install El Capitan, and then re-add the Piker-Alpha boot.efi's?

Also, there's a script that re-adds the boot.efi when you do upgrades, I forget what it's called, but I did it for Yosemite, can I refuse that script (providing I find it again) so that way when beta 3, 4, etc. come I won't have to manually add Piker or reinstall?

Lastly, can someone please explain what adding rootless=0 means in the context of replacing the boot.efi in place?

MisterBiro

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2015
Orange, CA
Thought I'd join the club...

ElCapitan Mac Pro-NoSerial.png

I suppose I cheated a bit, as I installed on an mSATA drive in a USB enclosure via my rMBP then copied over Pikes' boot.efi from my Yosemite install.

Pretty awesome :)

sebmoute

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015
install done on my mac pro 1.1 2x2,66Ghz, thank you all !!

As i did not have another Mac to do the job, i used vmware fusion in yosemite to install el capitan in an image disk, mounted it with paragon VMDK mounter and then restore it to a real disk with disk utility, replace the boot.efi and it boot :)

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2015-06-28 à 14.29.24.png
    Capture d’écran 2015-06-28 à 14.29.24.png
    3.7 MB · Views: 702
Reactions: G4fanboy

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
install done on my mac pro 1.1 2x2,66Ghz, thank you all !!

As i did not have another Mac to do the job, i used vmware fusion in yosemite to install el capitan in an image disk, mounted it with paragon VMDK mounter and then restore it to a real disk with disk utility, replace the boot.efi and it boot :)

How does it run?

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland

This is a cool idea for those who don't own another Mac and are too lazy to build an installer. Thanks for sharing.

sebmoute

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015
it run fine at first look but not have a lot of time these days to make real tests, if you want to know how a thing or another run i could look at it next week.

and yes i shared because i think it can help other guys :)

it is cool to think than a computer from 2006 can run the last operating system version.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Hello to you
I come to find out how the updating of El Capitan on a mac pro 2.1. thank you for a solution.
Best regards

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
hello
I can not on the app store my mac pro is 1,1.
Best regards
If you have El Capitan DP1, the App Store WILL offer you DP2. Now, if you DON'T have DP1, you can't install DP2. At least, that's the way it works on a VMware Fusion virtual machine. I would be very surprised if a physical Mac, even if unsupported, were to behave differently.

Last edited:
Reactions: crjackson2134

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
hello
El Capitan I installed on a mac pro with usb 1.1. now we can put dp2 pikeyosefix.pkg as you use with or Yosemite then this works pas.cordialement

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Hello I wanted to know how to install(settle) dp2 of El Capitan on a pimp pro 2,1 taken care steps.
He(It) works at the moment with El Capitan dp1, me you remerci.
Cordially

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
it run fine at first look but not have a lot of time these days to make real tests, if you want to know how a thing or another run i could look at it next week.

and yes i shared because i think it can help other guys :)

it is cool to think than a computer from 2006 can run the last operating system version.

Oh, you don't need to run specific tests - I was just wondering if applications opened quickly, graphics were smooth, etc. It seems to me like it would be rather heavy on a Mac Pro 1,1.

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Good evening

I have to install(settle) the DP2 of El Capitan on my macpro 8 heart 2,1, after the installation I changed both boot Efi etl' computer works very well with El Capitan dp2 thank you again has all worlds

sebmoute

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015
i'm back with more time now, i updated my mac pro 1.1 in DP2 with the mac app store, replaced again the two boot.efi files and its ok.

Everything seems to works fine, very smooth as under yos. no lag.

can't repair the permissions, the command was deleted from diskutil.

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2015-07-04 à 14.36.51.png
    Capture d’écran 2015-07-04 à 14.36.51.png
    2 MB · Views: 630
  • Capture d’écran 2015-07-04 à 16.29.59.png
    Capture d’écran 2015-07-04 à 16.29.59.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 850
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.