Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hugoZA

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
Please help guys. Installed using usb on my Retina MBP. Installed the drive back into the Mac Pro (1.1 2.66). It goes to the black boot screen with the progress bar, the mouse cursor appears, but the progress bar freezes 2/3 way through and then nothing else happes.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
It goes to the black boot screen with the progress bar, the mouse cursor appears, but the progress bar freezes 2/3 way through and then nothing else happes.

The same on a MBP2,2 , iMac6,1 and MB4,1: see the pictures in this Post. Strange error ....

hugoZA

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
The same on a MBP2,2 , iMac6,1 and MB4,1: see the pictures in this Post. Strange error ....

It is a graphics issue. I installed a GT730 and it booted right up. At first I kept the old 7300 card in the Mac too since 10.7.5 are not supposed to work with Kepler based cards, but to my surprise 10.7.5 booted up just fine. It doesn't identify the card in system report, instead only shows it as Nvidia chipset with 1024mb ram.

dgwilson

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2015
Wellington, New Zealand
I've got my MacPro1,1 running 10.9 and 10.10 (on a self made Fusion Drive) and 10.11 - yes all three OS's. And they're all using the Pike Boot loader. Dam excellent.

So being a smart person ... I'll upgrade the 10.10 installation (the one on the fusion drive) to 10.11.
Put the MacPro into Firewire target diskmode, connected it to my MacBook Pro and begun the installation... it failed - complaining about being unable to resize the Fusion drive. (it is/was a 1.5TB HDD and 128GB SSD). Tried repeating that and it failed. Destroyed and rebuilt the Fusion drive and volume... all installations failed on the resize. Even created it as a 1.2TB volume... still failed. And I also rebuilt the fusion drive under 10.11 on the MacPro.

At this point I thought... why not copy the 10.11 install using Carbon Copy Cloner to the Fusion drive and boot that. (this... evening using the latest beta of CCC)... That doesn't work either. When the Mac boots all I get is a black screen with the White Apple Logo... I think this means that the boot loader has been found?????

The Pike boot loader is/was fine with the Fusion drive under 10.10.
I did read somewhere earlier today that the 3rd partition on the drive (a boot partition) is what is actually used for booting when using a fusion drive... is this correct? If so... how do get access to this and presumably I need to replace the boot.efi on that partition too?

- David

dgwilson

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2015
Wellington, New Zealand
I've got my MacPro1,1 running 10.9 and 10.10 (on a self made Fusion Drive) and 10.11 - yes all three OS's. And they're all using the Pike Boot loader. Dam excellent.

So being a smart person ... I'll upgrade the 10.10 installation (the one on the fusion drive) to 10.11.
Put the MacPro into Firewire target diskmode, connected it to my MacBook Pro and begun the installation... it failed - complaining about being unable to resize the Fusion drive. (it is/was a 1.5TB HDD and 128GB SSD). Tried repeating that and it failed. Destroyed and rebuilt the Fusion drive and volume... all installations failed on the resize. Even created it as a 1.2TB volume... still failed. And I also rebuilt the fusion drive under 10.11 on the MacPro.

[snip]

Following this article http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=2014030311173257 I've rebuilt the Fusion drive _again_ after ensuring the HDD had a recovery partition on it. I was able to run the Installation and let it complete. Logged in and performed one of the software updates.

Have disconnected Firewire cable, rebooted MacPro to the known working partition and updated coreservices/boot.efi and /usr/standalone/i386/boot.efi and initiated the reboot into the fusion drive partition... nothing. Well the black screen again with the apple logo.... no loading progress bar.

So. Progress of sorts.

Update: can anyone get me the output from terminal from a Mac, with a fusion drive, running 10.11 from this command - "diskutil list" - I wish to examine the disk configuration and see if it matches what I have.

- David

Last edited:

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Firstly, just an fyi the latest El Capitan DP4 Beta Update installs just fine from the App Store though it does replace each of the boot.efi files.

I personally have done a complete "about face" regarding my interest in OS X El Capitan. Once Trim became natively available in Yosemite, admittedly my interest started to wane. Now that I have encountered El Capitan's ridiculous and impenetrable Extension folder, I am inclined to want nothing to do with this crappy OS. Just wait until you need to repair permissions and instead your forced to have to screw around in Single user mode with chmod commands. Umm no thanks.

After four releases now, I think enough evidence exist to conclude that OS X 10.11 offers absolutely nothing of consequence performance wise to a near 10 year old computer that OS X 10.10 does not provide already (unless of course your willing to shell out bucks for a "Metal" compatible video card...which I am not).

For those considering the switch, my advice is to ignore El Crapitan. Trust me you will not be missing out on anything except the increased potential for further hassles.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Firstly, just an fyi the latest El Capitan DP4 Beta Update installs just fine from the App Store though it does replace each of the boot.efi files.

I personally have done a complete "about face" regarding my interest in OS X El Capitan. Once Trim became natively available in Yosemite, admittedly my interest started to wane. Now that I have encountered El Capitan's ridiculous and impenetrable Extension folder, I am inclined to want nothing to do with this crappy OS. Just wait until you need to repair permissions and instead your forced to have to screw around in Single user mode with chmod commands. Umm no thanks.

After four releases now, I think enough evidence exist to conclude that OS X 10.11 offers absolutely nothing of consequence performance wise to a near 10 year old computer that OS X 10.10 does not provide already (unless of course your willing to shell out bucks for a "Metal" compatible video card...which I am not).

For those considering the switch, my advice is to ignore El Crapitan. Trust me you will not be missing out on anything except the increased potential for further hassles.

Wait, Safari doesn't seem snappier? OMG!

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Wait, Safari doesn't seem snappier? OMG!

Does El Capitan run better on your 1,1 (or 2,1) Mac Pro than does Yosemite? If it's faster than Yosemite/Mavericks, I may switch to it from my current SFOTT Mountain Lion installation. I have a 3Ghz 1,1 Mac Pro w/ 4GB of RAM (may get more soon) and an HD Radeon 5770. (I know it doesn't support metal, but people say it runs regardless.)

gpatpandp

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Does El Capitan run better on your 1,1 (or 2,1) Mac Pro than does Yosemite? If it's faster than Yosemite/Mavericks, I may switch to it from my current SFOTT Mountain Lion installation. I have a 3Ghz 1,1 Mac Pro w/ 4GB of RAM (may get more soon) and an HD Radeon 5770. (I know it doesn't support metal, but people say it runs regardless.)

Correct me if I am wrong however I believe 666sheep's comment was expressed sarcastically in that if you were to examine many of those posting positive remarks in support of OS X El Capitan thus far, the rhetorical/generic somewhat unanimous comment seems to be something like "wow safari sure is snappier !".

A bit of a side note of interest to my comment the other day, the OS X 10.11 DP 4 release for all practical purposes rendered the main stay in alternative OS X boot loaders "Clover" fairly useless. And while there are work arounds to make it function once again, this fact should be a cause of at least some concern for anyone running a hack, real mac or otherwise.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I find El Cap what Yosemite should be from the start (aside from UI ugliness of both). Quick, responsive and snappy :D. ~20% OpeCL performance increase doesn't hurt too.
It runs better than Yose on my franken-1,1 (pretty much maxed out: 32GB, 5365s, R9 280).
Even as it's installed on 2,5" WD Black vs Yose on XP941.
I will replace Yose as soon as they release GM or 1st update.
This machine serves graphics design and DTP in CS6, so before full transition I need to be 200% sure that all software I need works without any hiccups. DP is DP, I don't trust it enough to make it main OS.

Last edited:

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
Hello for me too El Capitan works better than Yosemite on my 1.1 modified in 2.1.
WiFi works better and it is faster I have the DP4 instalé and it are well.
Cordially

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
Found out that the main issue I was having had to do with upgrading the OS. Once I did a clean install, I did rootless, changed the 2 efi files and put back in my 2.1 and everything is fine. Each beta through 4 so far required that I update the 2 efi again, but other than that, all is well. Did the migration from my Yosemite install on another HD and able to use it as normal with no issues.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
Found out that the main issue I was having had to do with upgrading the OS. Once I did a clean install, I did rootless, changed the 2 efi files and put back in my 2.1 and everything is fine. Each beta through 4 so far required that I update the 2 efi again, but other than that, all is well. Did the migration from my Yosemite install on another HD and able to use it as normal with no issues.
Glad to hear you got it working. I think the clean install was the difference for me as well. If all I have to do is change the efis each update I'm good with that. I find it runs almost as smooth on my Mac Pro 1,1 as it does on my new Mac Pro.

Reactions: darthgeekonius

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
Hey, have you guys tried the piker/alpha boot fixer that sheep posted?

It should replace those EFis for you.
I had it installed on Yosemite and it ran fine, but haven't been able to get it to work with El Capitan yet. I get an error message during the install process if I try to run the install while I'm booted into El Capitan. I ran the install while booted in Yosemite and chose the El Capitan drive as the destination, but for some reason it didn't work. I'll keep trying with each new beta release, but at least I can manually install the EFI files for now.

fhenry

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2012
I find El Cap what Yosemite should be from the start (aside from UI ugliness of both). Quick, responsive and snappy :D. ~20% OpeCL performance increase doesn't hurt too.
It runs better than Yose on my franken-1,1 (pretty much maxed out: 32GB, 5365s, R9 280).
Even as it's installed on 2,5" WD Black vs Yose on XP941.
I will replace Yose as soon as they release GM or 1st update.
This machine serves graphics design and DTP in CS6, so before full transition I need to be 200% sure that all software I need works without any hiccups. DP is DP, I don't trust it enough to make it main OS.
Hello, which PCI card did you use for the xp941? Thx

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Thanks for the info. Hmm... I wonder if the guys at SFOTT will release an El Capitan boot key preparer. If I really wanted to dig into things and do everything manually, I am sure I could, but SFOTT makes the process much easier.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Blackmagic shows 568/684 MB/s R/W. Didn't check with Quickbench because I don't have it on this machine.

GreekCanuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2015
Hey all,
Long time reader but haven't posted before. I just got my MacPro 2,1 running with 10.11 using pike boot.efi, noticed a couple of issues though:

1) Restart/Shutdown is VERY slow, can take several minutes. Anyone else seeing this?
2) Metal does not work with my flashed PC 5770 card, as expected.
3) My CalDigit USB 3.0 PCI card doesn't work (at least none of the drives hooked up to it show up). I read about issues with USB 3.0 drives in 10.11 beta so perhaps that's the issue. I tried installing the 10.10 drivers for the PCI card but it fails to boot, I had to remove them to restore it. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
Hey all,
Long time reader but haven't posted before. I just got my MacPro 2,1 running with 10.11 using pike boot.efi, noticed a couple of issues though:

1) Restart/Shutdown is VERY slow, can take several minutes. Anyone else seeing this?
2) Metal does not work with my flashed PC 5770 card, as expected.
3) My CalDigit USB 3.0 PCI card doesn't work (at least none of the drives hooked up to it show up). I read about issues with USB 3.0 drives in 10.11 beta so perhaps that's the issue. I tried installing the 10.10 drivers for the PCI card but it fails to boot, I had to remove them to restore it. Any thoughts?

Thanks all!

I know your machine may be better (I have a 1,1 Quad-core 3Ghz model w/ 4GB RAm and a flashed 5770--like yours), but how does the machine run? I mean, aside from those issues that you listed, is the OS lighter than Yosemite? I haven't tried past Mavericks on my 1,1. BTW, are there instructions for this Pike boot.efi replacement? To get Mountain Lion on my system, I just used SixtFouronThirtyTwo, which pretty much, with a little bit of setup, makes a bootable key for you, in conjunction with Tiamo's EFI.

GreekCanuck

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2015
I know your machine may be better (I have a 1,1 Quad-core 3Ghz model w/ 4GB RAm and a flashed 5770--like yours), but how does the machine run? I mean, aside from those issues that you listed, is the OS lighter than Yosemite? I haven't tried past Mavericks on my 1,1. BTW, are there instructions for this Pike boot.efi replacement? To get Mountain Lion on my system, I just used SixtFouronThirtyTwo, which pretty much, with a little bit of setup, makes a bootable key for you, in conjunction with Tiamo's EFI.

It seems to work fine other than the issues I mentioned. I didn't install any software or put it through any sort of real testing so it's hard to say, I just have the vanilla 10.11 running. If I can't get my USB 3.0 drives to work it is pretty much useless to me so I won't bother porting over all my apps/data and doing any further testing.

The only instructions I followed were the ones at the start of this thread, I installed it onto a drive from my MBP which can install 10.11, then I copied the pike boot.efi to the two locations listed. Nothing else, no repair permissions (since I can't seem to be able to run that on this drive anyway), I just connected the drive to the MacPro and set it as the startup disk then restarted.

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
It seems to work fine other than the issues I mentioned. I didn't install any software or put it through any sort of real testing so it's hard to say, I just have the vanilla 10.11 running. If I can't get my USB 3.0 drives to work it is pretty much useless to me so I won't bother porting over all my apps/data and doing any further testing.

The only instructions I followed were the ones at the start of this thread, I installed it onto a drive from my MBP which can install 10.11, then I copied the pike boot.efi to the two locations listed. Nothing else, no repair permissions (since I can't seem to be able to run that on this drive anyway), I just connected the drive to the MacPro and set it as the startup disk then restarted.

The way I usually test things is by opening up simple applications, opening folders, opening 'About This Mac,' etc. That just gives me an idea of how the normal operation stands. If something like Text Edit or System Prefs takes a significantly long time to open, I question the integrity of the OS on the machine. Of course, I make sure it's not my HDD's fault. What I need is an SSD.

Ah, I see. Well, I guess I'll try doing what you did if I ever choose to install El Capitan. I am assuming you can put the installer on a flash drive or something and boot from that? I mean, I could install it onto a hard drive (from my MacBook Pro) and stick that HDD into my Mac Pro, but that's a hassle, esp. when it comes to possible re-installations. When I installed Mountain Lion on my Mac Pro, I used the SFOTT key and installed straight onto the Mac Pro. Of course, I had to re-patch the key on my other computer, after a software update reversed the EFI patch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.