Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
can't repair the permissions, the command was deleted from diskutil.

From Wikipedia:

"With the upcoming OS X El Capitan, Apple introduces a new security feature called System Integrity Protection. Root privileges shall no longer suffice to change system files and folders, including their permissions. Permissions repairs shall be performed automatically upon system installs and updates. To that end, Disk Utility loses the ability to repair permissions, as well as the corresponding diskutil command-line operation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Integrity_Protection

sebmoute

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2015
yes i seen for permissions, i did a little vidéo to show you how it is smooth when doing a command+A then command+O in App folder :) I first recorded my screen with quicktime but it was not as fast as it is in the vidéo

PowerMac G4 MDD

macrumors 68000
Jul 13, 2014
i'm back with more time now, i updated my mac pro 1.1 in DP2 with the mac app store, replaced again the two boot.efi files and its ok.

Everything seems to works fine, very smooth as under yos. no lag.

can't repair the permissions, the command was deleted from diskutil.

I wonder... is El Capitan (based on the improvements it's supposed to have had--and will have) faster/smoother than Yosemite was, on your Mac Pro? I am sure we'll have to wait until this is out of beta and fully released, but maybe you feel a difference, even by now? I am hoping that it won't have as large of an impact as Yosemite did.

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
IMG_0140-e1436307388783.jpg

don't know what I'm doing wrong. I attached my hd to my Mac Pro installed el capitan beta 2 and then replaced the 2 efi with pike. Should have been easy according to the first post. System hangs at  logo with flashing folder and ? mark. What didn't I do? Been at this for hours. Please help.

reinstalled, replaced efi's, repaired permissions, blessed and still this.... I don't know what to do.

Mac Pro 2.1
Yosemite 10.10.4 (previously)
El Capitan beta 2 (attempting)
Samsung Evo 850 SSD
AMD 6870 and 7300GT (to see boot while installing)

Last edited:

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware

Thanks didn't work and I used the Yosemite dmg that was provided in another thread to make a usb and was able to and a yosemite partition on the same hd. This leads me to believe that for some reason, something is stopping me from booting the OS on my mac pro.

When using the install method on my macbook, the drive is bootable until I swap the efi then it won't boot on either the macbook or Mac Pro.

Thinking there in lies the problem, something to do with the efi step.

I'm going to trying and create an el capitan usb following hennessy's steps and see if it will install that way. otherwise I'm completely stumped.

Thanks for trying to help though. Been at this going on 3 days now.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
IMG_0140-e1436307388783.jpg

don't know what I'm doing wrong. I attached my hd to my Mac Pro installed el capitan beta 2 and then replaced the 2 efi with pike. Should have been easy according to the first post. System hangs at  logo with flashing folder and ? mark. What didn't I do? Been at this for hours. Please help.

reinstalled, replaced efi's, repaired permissions, blessed and still this.... I don't know what to do.

Mac Pro 2.1
Yosemite 10.10.4 (previously)
El Capitan beta 2 (attempting)
Samsung Evo 850 SSD
AMD 6870 and 7300GT (to see boot while installing)

I'm having the same issue with my Mac Pro 1,1. I can install Yosemite with no issues, but El Capitan just gives me the folder screen. I installed El Capitan to the hard drive using a different Mac, replaced the efi files, but it hasn't worked. Very frustrating. If I figure it out I'll pass it along.

Reactions: darthgeekonius

wolf1734

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2014
France
I'm having the same issue with my Mac Pro 1,1. I can install Yosemite with no issues, but El Capitan just gives me the folder screen. I installed El Capitan to the hard drive using a different Mac, replaced the efi files, but it hasn't worked. Very frustrating. If I figure it out I'll pass it along.

Hello

Tries(Essays) to make the repair of the permission on the hard disk or is El Capitan

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware
I tried everything and eventually gave up. Copied all my data to another hard drive, wiped it, and reinstalled Yosemite 10.10.4. I'll wait until someone figures out a flawless way to make El Capitan work on the 1.1/2.1 Mac Pro's.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Repairing permissions won't do anything on ElCap.
I'll wait until someone figures out a flawless way to make El Capitan work on the 1.1/2.1 Mac Pro's.

It's already done. A number of people in this thread are the living proof.
My little theory about your problem: "?" folder issue seems caused by sandboxing.
After installing ElCap on a supported Mac add "rootless=0" to com.apple.Boot.plist, next replace boot.efi and put the disk in 2006.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City

My little theory about your problem: "?" folder issue seems caused by sandboxing.
After installing ElCap on a supported Mac add "rootless=0" to com.apple.Boot.plist, next replace boot.efi and put the disk in 2006.
Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I was finally able to get El Capitan to work by doing a clean install on a SSD drive with a different Mac. I then deleted the com.apple.boot.plist, replaced the boot.efi files, then put the SSD back in my 2006 Mac Pro. It wouldn't boot when I tried to select it holding alt/opt on startup (it kept booting Yosemite on a different drive instead), so I went into Yosemite and set the El Capitan drive as my startup disk, and it worked.

I can't get the PikeYoseFix to install though. It keeps giving me an error message when I run the installer saying it's not compatible with this version of OS X. The battle may not be over yet...

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
Don't you get an option "Install anyway"?
I got (with rootless off ofc) and all went butter smooth.
I got the "Install anyway" message, but it untimately gave me a "failed to install" message in the end. It may be because I deleted the plist file instead of adding rootless off. For some reason that didn't work on my system. Maybe my plist editing skills need work. I'm going to keep trying, but at least it's booting.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
I got "failed to install" in DP1. After update do DP2 it installed.
I use TextWrangler to edit .plists. Add "rootless=0" (without quotes) in between <string></string> and save the file.

djeeyore25

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2014
New York City
I got "failed to install" in DP1. After update do DP2 it installed.
I use TextWrangler to edit .plists. Add "rootless=0" (without quotes) in between <string></string> and save the file.
Thanks for the help. I installed the Yosefix to the El Capitan drive while booted in Yosemite. It seems to have worked. I'll work with TextWrangler and plists if needed in the future. So glad this is done!

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
From Wikipedia:

"With the upcoming OS X El Capitan, Apple introduces a new security feature called System Integrity Protection. Root privileges shall no longer suffice to change system files and folders, including their permissions. Permissions repairs shall be performed automatically upon system installs and updates. To that end, Disk Utility loses the ability to repair permissions, as well as the corresponding diskutil command-line operation."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Integrity_Protection
This is the kind of thing that will push me away from Apple products.

Reactions: ssgbryan

darthgeekonius

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2014
Delaware

Did exactly that. Don't know what went wrong. I took my SSD out from my Mac Pro attached to my 2012 Macbook Pro (running El Cap) and installed. It would boot on my Macbook after restart. Set Macbook Pro as startup disk and once back in change the boot.plist to add rootless=0 and change the efi in both locations with the latest black and then I tried grey pike Yosemite ones. Detached SSD, put back in Mac Pro and no boot and ? folder. After several days of trying I gave up and went back to Yosemite 10.10.4.

Have a spare SSD will try again since djeeyore25 got it to work on a fresh install and see what happens.

Thanks for your help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.