Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Thought I would start a new thread so as not to clog up the current season, especially since this has more to do with next year than this year:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Some more hires:

Jets - Hired Nathaniel Hackett (former Broncos HC) to be new OC.

Cowboys - Dan Quinn is returning as DC after several HC interviews. Says there is unfinished business.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
A new fire:

Miami has parted ways with OC Josh Gattis after one season.

The Rams have hired former Jets OC Mike LaFleur (bother of Packer's coach Matt) to be the new OC after Liam Coen left to go to UK.

Falcons have hired former Saints co-DC Ryan Nielsen to be their new DC. Nothing like poaching someone from in Division.

Last edited:

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
The 49'ers DC DeMeco Ryans is the leading candidate for the Texans HC job. If he gets it, he may well be one of the last DC's or defensive oriented coaches to get a HC job.

Of the 8 teams that were in the Divisional Round, 7 had offensive minded HC's. The Bills don't which is why despite Allen's talent, they can't get past this round. And he is regressing.

And somehow it is looking like the new way to build a competitive team is with a good QB on a rookie deal and build around them with a QB whisperer coach. Of the 4 QB's in the Championships, only Mahomes is not still on their rookie deal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I've largely been away

Here's my thoughts on hiring coaches - the NFL needs to create a window, where all hirings are done after the superbowl. That gives the assistants in the playoffs a better shot of getting hired. There seems to be a rush to hire and fire these days and it serves no one by rushing to get a HC hired.

In other news, I see some chatter that the Dolphins are not interested in pursuing Brady, they're standing Pat with Tua and not wanting one, maybe two years with a 46 year old. SF is also likely out of the picture.

What other teams will want him? LV is purportedly is going to hit hard at trying to sign him, I'm not sure who else will be pursuing an 46 year old QB who's now showing his age.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Here's my thoughts on hiring coaches - the NFL needs to create a window, where all hirings are done after the superbowl. That gives the assistants in the playoffs a better shot of getting hired. There seems to be a rush to hire and fire these days and it serves no one by rushing to get a HC hired.

I agree 100%. This isn't college where you need to be recruiting every spare minute.

In other news, I see some chatter that the Dolphins are not interested in pursuing Brady, they're standing Pat with Tua

Tua is very good, but he seems to be made of glass. He is still in Concussion Protocol a month later. :eek:

If he wants a long career in this league, it will probably need to be in a backup role.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He is still in Concussion Protocol a month later. :eek:
I follow NASCAR as it gives me a sport to watch when I'm not in the mood for baseball. There's a driver Kurt Busch who got a concussion in July of 2022, and has yet been cleared to drive, he just mentioned a while ago that even in January 2023, he hasn't been released to drive in NASCAR.

Now Tua got two concussions in a week, and this third one shortly afterwards. I can see his rehabilitation taking a long time.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
I follow NASCAR as it gives me a sport to watch when I'm not in the mood for baseball.

I used to follow a lot more than I do now. My first race was the 1979 Southern 500 at Darlington. I was 13 years old and went with my cousin (he was more like an uncle). This was way before NASCAR became image oriented and corporate.

We used to have season tickets to Charlotte and Bristol, but anymore the TV product is just so good it's not worth the hassle of going.

But NASCAR used to be the bridge that got me though the year without football. There used to be just 2 weekends a year without football or NASCAR. :)

Reactions: compwiz1202

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I've largely been away

In other news, I see some chatter that the Dolphins are not interested in pursuing Brady, they're standing Pat with Tua and not wanting one, maybe two years with a 46 year old. SF is also likely out of the picture.

What other teams will want him? LV is purportedly is going to hit hard at trying to sign him, I'm not sure who else will be pursuing an 46 year old QB who's now showing his age.

This post didn't age well :)

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I wonder what team is hiring what refs?

I think i'm done with this WWF scripted wrestling league of good.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I dare you to go up to an NFL player and tell him he's fake.
I already did, some online and an player who lives nearby personally.
they agreed, somewhat.

My statement was targeted to the NFL suits who dictate the outcome of these games.
when they decided to bench 3 QBs on a December Saturday before a important division game for no real reason,
there is more than a player playin' their best anymore.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Important dates for the up and coming season

Date(s)Event
Feb. 21Franchise/transition tag window opens
Feb. 28-March 6NFL Scouting Combine (Indianapolis)
March 7Franchise/transition tag deadline (4 p.m. ET)
March 7College Pro Days begin
March 13-15Negotiating window (legal tampering period) opens
March 15New league year opens, free agency begins (4 p.m. ET)
March 26-29NFL league meetings
April 17OTAs begin
April 27-292023 NFL Draft (Kansas City, Mo.)
May 1Fifth-year option deadline for 2020 NFL Draft picks
May 5-8Rookie minicamp
May 12-15Rookie minicamp
Mid-May (TBD)NFL schedule release
Mid-JulyNFL franchise tag contract negotiation deadline

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
You missed one thing:

February 16th(?) Derek Carr becomes a Free Agent a month before anyone else.

This is of course assuming the Raiders cut him vs being on the hook for $42M.

;)

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
You missed one thing:

February 16th(?) Derek Carr becomes a Free Agent a month before anyone else.

;)

While Carr is a tantalizingly so-so player, he's at least better than his brother.

But the most delicious part of this is that he has the leverage to bully a team that has traditionally acted like a bully to others. Mike Shanahan gives a thumbs up!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
They have to cut him by today 4:00pm. I would just love the fact if they misjudged the time, or messed up and his contract became guaranteed :)

• Haha
Reactions: Herdfan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Eagles OC Shane Steichen is now the Colts HC. I can't say how disappointed I am that they didn't pick Jeff Saturday

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Eagles OC Shane Steichen is now the Colts HC. I can't say how disappointed I am that they didn't pick Jeff Saturday
I'm a Colts fan and I'm not sure how I feel about the hire. Time will tell.

I don't think the Colts organization did Frank Reich justice and I wish him nothing but success in Carolina.

As for Jeff Saturday...love his energy, love many things about him, and I'll always wonder what could have been had Irsay and Ballard truly handed him the keys, let him hire his own staff, and been able to have an entire off-season with the team. I think he would have surprised a lot of people. Fingers crossed that they retain him to coach OL.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think the Colts organization did Frank Reich justice and I wish him nothing but success in Carolina.
Yeah, for the most part. Firing him in season did him a dirty, but didn't he advocate for Wentz and Matt Ryan and couldn't get them to perform? I know there's other issues with the team, but I think the failure of the QB is what cost him his job.

Don't get me wrong, I really think he's a great coach and Carolina scored a major win in getting him

As for Jeff Saturday...love his energy, love many things about hi
He's charasmatic, and full of energy, but that doesn't mean he's good coach. Yeah the players played hard for him, but you can't just take an ex-player and plop into the HC job and expect a sudden turn around.

The Texans wanted to hire Josh McCown as their HC - same thing, Why???

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Yeah, for the most part. Firing him in season did him a dirty, but didn't he advocate for Wentz and Matt Ryan and couldn't get them to perform? I know there's other issues with the team, but I think the failure of the QB is what cost him his job.

But isn't he supposed to be a QB whisperer? He coached Nick Foles to a SB title.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.