Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Not a surprise. Be interesting to see what the Raiders & Carr do in the 2023 season.

I suspect Carr will be OK. He is a good, but not great QB, but definitely one of the Top 32. So he will land somewhere, maybe not at the $40M per the Raiders had agreed to pay him, but he will get a 4-5 year $100M contract.

The Raiders on the other hand are a mess. Just not sure McDaniels has it in him to be a HC, but since the Raiders don't really have the money to be paying 2 ex coaches, he will get to stay.

I do hope to catch a Raiders game this year since we will be moving to within 4 hours of Vegas.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I suspect Carr will be OK.
Its funny how some people were shocked that he rejected a trade offer to Saints. I don't know why he would even be open to that. From what I heard the saints were wanting him to renogtiate his contract (because the saints are in cap hell) and secondly why would he purposely weaken the team he'll be going to and strengthening the team that benched him? i.e., giving up draft picks.

Reactions: Herdfan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Lamar Jackson, the talking heads almost expect Baltimore to tag him, not with the exclusive tag but the non-exclusive. I don't expect Baltimore to sign him to a 100% fully guaranteed contract and him being his own agent is a huge mistake

• Exclusive Franchise Tag = No other team can sign him. He can then be traded and sign a long term deal before July.
  • Non-exclusive = I believe he gets less with the non-exclusive but another team can sign him, but then Baltimore can either match OR get two first round draft picks
  • Transition tag = is the lowest tier I believe but like the non-exclusive Baltimore can match, however if they refuse they get nothing in exchange.

I put that out there, to say the Baltimore has no interest in giving him a 100% guaranteed contract and given his injuries they may be tempted to offer less then they did last year. I think that largely means they'll not use the transition tag, since they'll not be wiling to match and will get nothing. So it boils down to exclusive or non-exclusive.

One way to think this through is this imo: Do they want draft picks or are they all in with Larmar?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Lamar Jackson, the talking heads almost expect Baltimore to tag him, not with the exclusive tag but the non-exclusive. I don't expect Baltimore to sign him to a 100% fully guaranteed contract and him being his own agent is a huge mistake

• Exclusive Franchise Tag = No other team can sign him. He can then be traded and sign a long term deal before July.
  • Non-exclusive = I believe he gets less with the non-exclusive but another team can sign him, but then Baltimore can either match OR get two first round draft picks
  • Transition tag = is the lowest tier I believe but like the non-exclusive Baltimore can match, however if they refuse they get nothing in exchange.

I put that out there, to say the Baltimore has no interest in giving him a 100% guaranteed contract and given his injuries they may be tempted to offer less then they did last year. I think that largely means they'll not use the transition tag, since they'll not be wiling to match and will get nothing. So it boils down to exclusive or non-exclusive.

One way to think this through is this imo: Do they want draft picks or are they all in with Larmar?

I don't see how any team will fully guarantee him, considering his style of play and a potential for a shorter career. Plus, he's already been hurt a lot these last few seasons.

But on the other hand, they didn't want to pay Marquise Brown either, and that blew up in their faces.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't see how any team will fully guarantee him
Mike Florio of PFT beats this drum quite a bit - it can get tiring but I'll use what he basically says.

Deshaun Watson, or rather his agent played things out perfectly and had a bit of luck on his side.
  • He told the Texans that he wanted to be traded and will not under any circumstance play for them.
  • After sitting out a year, he basically showed them that he's serious
  • Here's where an agent comes in handy, he pitted multiple teams against each other
  • Here's where some luck occurred. One team (the browns) alienated their current franchise QB so badly that they were now desperate.
No one else has a fully guarantied contract - collusion is one reason for sure, but another reason is that no other player is willing to play the game that watson played simply because it could have blown up in his face

What's working against Jackson, is the fact he got injured two years in a row and was unable to finish the year. Another little factoid working against Jackson is that he's his own agent. NFL Contracts are complex, and wading through the waters of contract negotiation is difficult for the smartest, most skilled lawyers/agents, never mind a QB who's degree is communication.

It will be fun to watch how this plays out, I expect Baltimore to tag him, its up in the air if it will be the exclusive or non-exclusive. The more I think about it, the more I think two first round draft picks may be too tempting. I mean if he actually does find a team that will give him what he wants, a non-exclusive tag means the Ravens will get some rather nice compensation if they choose not match it

Reactions: Rafterman

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
No one else has a fully guarantied contract - collusion is one reason for sure, but another reason is that no other player is willing to play the game that watson played simply because it could have blown up in his face

Cousins had/has one. But is not for $40M a year either.

He is another one that played the game (against the Conmanders) and won.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting take on Rodgers.
On one hand the article is very believable, on the other hand its hard to believe they're willing to just give up on keeping him or if he chooses to stay being a backup

Report: Packers are “disgusted with” Aaron Rodgers, they’re “done with him”

Bob McGinn, who has covered the Packers for decades, said in a podcast with Tyler Dunne of GoLongTD.com that the team is ready to move on from Rodgers.

“They are done with Rodgers,” McGinn said, citing his own instincts, his knowledge of the league, and “discussions with someone who [has] first-hand knowledge” of the Packers. “He’s not coming back. I mean, they’re disgusted with him, and they’re done with him. And they’re moving on.”

Last edited:

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Rodgers? About time. Someone else's problem. S.A. Smith, whom I'm convinced is a joke that ESPN is playing on everyone, did say something about how a single SB win, more than a decade ago, doesn't exactly give one a lot of leverage, outside of perhaps Green Bay, so a broken clock is still right two times a day.

Bieniemy as Washington's new OC/assistant HC?

I guess it's a bit better than a lateral move, since he'll now be calling plays, but I hope he's got that succession plan in writing, when Rivera steps aside, or if/when the team is sold, and the new owner wants to install "his" people.

Teams have shown they're willing to wait after the SB to get their guy. For whatever reason, he's not been in that situation.

I do remember when talk was floating around about him taking a college HC position, he swatted that down in a less than diplomatic manner.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Bieniemy as Washington's new OC/assistant HC?
Yeah, He had to do something, he was never going to get a HC job the KC OC.
If he improves the offense then that will validate his ability. Right now too much credit is going to Reid and Mahomes, personally rightfully so.

He's had multiple interviews over the years for a head coaching position and franchises have chosen others. I'm not sold on his abilities as a OC. The proof will be in the pudding come September.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
He won’t stay as a backup.
Oh of course not, that's the leverage that the packers have. Threaten him to hold the clipboard (while earning 60 million dollars). I don't know how these things go down, but I must imagine that if that story has any legitimacy then the GM must have communicated to Rodgers in so many words that he need to find a new home and lets have a civil divorce.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like the pressure to make a decision is building for Rodgers. Also the GM of the Packers while not saying it, seems to be wanting Love get a start and not Rodgers but Aaron holds all of the cards. If he wants to stay in GB, he will

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Carr signs with Saints: 4 years, $150 million, $100 million guaranteed.

These QB contracts are getting ridiculous.

True, but there are so few good ones. There re about a dozen QBs worth anything. After that, you could plug almost anyone in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Ravens tagged Jackson with the non-exclusive tag. Now he's free find his worth, though the teams that are willing to give up two first round picks will be few and far between

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Ravens tagged Jackson with the non-exclusive tag. Now he's free find his worth, though the teams that are willing to give up two first round picks will be few and far between

Cleveland wasn't the only desperate team. There are others who will gladly pay for the box office and national attention Jackson brings in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Cleveland wasn't the only desperate team. There are others who will gladly pay for the box office and national attention Jackson brings in.
ESPN has an article of what teams could potentially be in the hunt, their reasoning is 16 teams. I think the list is a lot smaller. I think the raider's GM has already said he's not for fully guaranteed contracts. The Bucs need a QB but are currently in Cap hell.

I think WFT, Colts, Jets, Panthers, and Falcons are truly desperate enough to be in the fray. Darks horses are Vikings, Titans, Texans.

Finally there's GB. Consider this scenario (highly unlikely). Packers trade Rodgers to the Jets, get two #1s. They throw boatloads of money to Jackson, so much so, the Raven's can't match and so GB gets Lamar and functionally don't lose any draft picks. Crazy if that pans out like that

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
ESPN has an article of what teams could potentially be in the hunt, their reasoning is 16 teams. I think the list is a lot smaller. I think the raider's GM has already said he's not for fully guaranteed contracts. The Bucs need a QB but are currently in Cap hell.

Definitely smaller than that. I would say 5 maybe.

As for the fully guaranteed contract, I don't think the one Cousins signed a few years ago was too bad. It was fully guaranteed, but not for a couple hundred million. I mean what's the difference between a 3 year $84M contract vs a 5 year $140M with $84M guaranteed?

But Jackson wants Watson money and I don't see any team guaranteeing that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But Jackson wants Watson money and I don't see any team guaranteeing that.
That's why I think the Raven's applying the non-exclusive tag is a really smart move. First off, if it was exclusive, the odds were probably really good he was going to sit out. Now the onus is on him to find any team willing to give him Watson type money that is fully guaranteed. While I don't believe its explicit collusion, I do think all the owners are very much against setting the bar close to what Watson got. There's a handful of teams like WFT that could be desperate enough. We have no idea about snyder, will he sell the team, if he's largely accepted the fate of selling, then he has nothing to lose to agree to a monster contract and then walk away. Clearly he's not liked in the owner's circle so he owes them no loyalty.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
....Finally there's GB. Consider this scenario (highly unlikely). Packers trade Rodgers to the Jets, get two #1s. They throw boatloads of money to Jackson, so much so, the Raven's can't match and so GB gets Lamar and functionally don't lose any draft picks. Crazy if that pans out like that

It seems to me that GB is actually wanting to give Jordan Love his chance. They might be interested in a veteran QB as a backup tho

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
That's why I think the Raven's applying the non-exclusive tag is a really smart move. First off, if it was exclusive, the odds were probably really good he was going to sit out. Now the onus is on him to find any team willing to give him Watson type money that is fully guaranteed. While I don't believe its explicit collusion, I do think all the owners are very much against setting the bar close to what Watson got. There's a handful of teams like WFT that could be desperate enough. We have no idea about snyder, will he sell the team, if he's largely accepted the fate of selling, then he has nothing to lose to agree to a monster contract and then walk away. Clearly he's not liked in the owner's circle so he owes them no loyalty.

Ravens basically are letting another team do the hard contract work and all the Ravens have to say if yes or no, match or let him walk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.