Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It seems to me that GB is actually wanting to give Jordan Love his chance. They might be interested in a veteran QB as a backup tho
Yeah, but can you imagine if they did it that. I mean trading Rodgers, getting Jackson and unloading Love, People in Wisconsin would lose their collective mind. It would be Awesome to see how much drama that move would make :)

Ravens basically are letting another team do the hard contract work and all the Ravens have to say if yes or no, match or let him walk.
Here's my $.02 on this. Remember about 2, maybe 3 years ago, the Ravens were looking to extend his contract but he refused to sit down with them. Prior to the Watson contract, word leaked out that the Ravens had no idea of what his demands were. I think once Deshaun Watson got that fully guaranteed contract, Lamar let it be known that's what he wanted. I believe they were offering Watson type money, just not the fully guaranteed.

So with all that said, there's not much more hard contract work to be done - will there be a team to offer a Watson like contract - yes or no? Lamar is about to find out.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
There's a handful of teams like WFT that could be desperate enough. We have no idea about snyder, will he sell the team, if he's largely accepted the fate of selling, then he has nothing to lose to agree to a monster contract and then walk away. Clearly he's not liked in the owner's circle so he owes them no loyalty.

That would be an awesome parting shot for him.

And Jackson might not even have to move. :)

Reactions: maflynn

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
It seems to me that GB is actually wanting to give Jordan Love his chance. They might be interested in a veteran QB as a backup tho

I just don't think Love is the QB Rodgers was when they pushed Favre out.

Why does it seem like it is always GB in this situation?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray are making more per year than Patrick Mahomes. Daniel Jones makes almost as much.

Let that sink in.

Time to atop this "next guy up gets the most" trend. It will destroy the league.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nope, and so far in his limited outings, he's failed to impress people. Didn't he work with the starters in the preseason and minicamps when Rodgers was doing his own thing with ayahuasca. He
Time to atop this "next guy up gets the most" trend. It will destroy the league.
I'm not going to disagree with out, but I think that's how all of professional sports work. The envelope is continually pushed higher

Daniel Jones makes almost as much.
I'm of two minds on this contract. Jones really had the Giants on the horns of a dilemma. Over pay Jones with the idea of tagging Barkley or tagging Jones and letting Barkley go into free agency.

Instead the giants overpaid Jones, there was no way he would have gotten this contract from any other team but on the flip side, solid franchise QBs that are available are few and far between. Jones really had them over a barrel and he played that game (rather his agent) masterfully.

At this point, expectations of the giants are not even higher and Jones has to perform better. If the playoff game against the Vikings was an aberration then media in NY is going to eat up Jones.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That's why I think the Raven's applying the non-exclusive tag is a really smart move. First off, if it was exclusive, the odds were probably really good he was going to sit out. Now the onus is on him to find any team willing to give him Watson type money that is fully guaranteed.

Agreed, the Ravens were very smart to use the non-exclusive tag.

There's a handful of teams like WFT that could be desperate enough. We have no idea about snyder, will he sell the team, if he's largely accepted the fate of selling, then he has nothing to lose to agree to a monster contract and then walk away. Clearly he's not liked in the owner's circle so he owes them no loyalty.

I think the Commanders could make a run for him. Snyder is a loose cannon however.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Agreed, the Ravens were very smart to use the non-exclusive tag.
Here's where the Ravens were smart but the same can't be said for Lamar. He's his own agent and I think that's going to come back to haunt him. He ought to have seen the lessons how poorly that worked out for Dante Culpepper. All I can say is that its hubris and arrogance to think an elite athlete can also be a great lawyer, negotiator and know the ins and outs of navigating free agency (or in his case non-exclusive franchise tag)

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Here's where the Ravens were smart but the same can't be said for Lamar. He's his own agent and I think that's going to come back to haunt him. He ought to have seen the lessons how poorly that worked out for Dante Culpepper. All I can say is that its hubris and arrogance to think an elite athlete can also be a great lawyer, negotiator and know the ins and outs of navigating free agency (or in his case non-exclusive franchise tag)

Agreed, it is foolish for Lamar to not have an agent.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray are making more per year than Patrick Mahomes. Daniel Jones makes almost as much.

Let that sink in.

I'm not going to disagree with out, but I think that's how all of professional sports work. The envelope is continually pushed higher

IIRC, Mahomes took less so the team could get other better players. Just like Brady did. By winning, he will make up for the lost salary in endorsements.

Herdfan

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 11, 2011
Here's where the Ravens were smart but the same can't be said for Lamar. He's his own agent and I think that's going to come back to haunt him.

There are some players that can get away with this. Say a mid-level OL who will simply get slotted. No need to pay an agent to get essentially the same money. But when you are a QB trying to set the market, get an agent.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
IIRC, Mahomes took less so the team could get other better players. Just like Brady did.
Oh no question and there is wisdom with that move. I forget where I saw it, either an article or a YT, but the author provided a supposition with evidence that when you pay a QB for top dollar they rarely end up in the SB, simply due to the fact that there's now less money to spread around and improve other facets of the team

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
QBs are important, but in the end it is a team sport. Look at all the great QBs that never won the Super Bowl…

Marino, Tarkington, Fouts, et al.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004

That may be, but time and money has been spent on him and they do seem intent on giving him a try. Teams do seem to need to see their drafted "next big thing" actually fail before giving up

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI

Well, because they had two consecutive aging HOF QB’s. Was it not the same situation the Patriots were in with Brady? SF with Montana? The Colts with Manning? Etc.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Oh no question and there is wisdom with that move. I forget where I saw it, either an article or a YT, but the author provided a supposition with evidence that when you pay a QB for top dollar they rarely end up in the SB, simply due to the fact that there's now less money to spread around and improve other facets of the team

That's why rookie deals are the sweet spot.

Reactions: Herdfan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Aaron Rodgers: It won’t be long before I make my decision, there’s a time limit for all this
“Well, I think it won’t be long. There’s a time limit for all this,” Rodgers said.

My personal take is Rodgers is eating up the attention, he just absolutely loves being the major storyline of all of the major sports outlets. of course he's already made his decision, he's just toying with everyone including GB.

Free agency starts this Wednesday, so I'm thinking (rightly or wrongly) he'll announce his decision Tuesday - doesn't he go on the Pat McAfee show on Tuesdays?

Let me just add that I'm betting that he'll announce he'll want to be traded to the Jets and here's where things will take a turn for the worse for him. As soon as the Jets stumble for what ever reason, the NY Media will eat him up. The fan base isn't has caustic and negative as Philly fans but NY is no walk in the park. He's had it easy in Green Bay where he's virtually worshipped.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
THAT IS NUTS!

His second insane contract in his career.
I don't get why he signed with the Saints. New Orleans has been in cap hell for what feels like a decade. They started 2023 with being 53 million dollars over the cap, and while they've been working to trim that - they're still 25 million over the cap.

How can you build a contending team if you're constantly cutting contracts. I think their inability to manage the cap for so many years was a big reason why Sean Peyton "retired" He knew there's was no way he could be successful, when the GM could not manage the payroll

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.