Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
The FIA strongly prefer manufacturer backing of any new entrant so this is believed to be why they teamed up with General Motors. GM evidently wants to boost Cadillac's global image so that is why they decided to run their part of the partnership under the Cadillac Racing division and brand the team Andretti-Cadillac.

Speculation is that Honda will provide the initial powerplants to get the team on the grid (since Andretti has a strong relationship with Honda Performance Development), but the goal is to make the team have more "American content" so I would presume GM would be willing to build a dedicated powerplant based on the 2026+ design.

I could see that I suppose. I didn't factor in Andretti's Strong relationship with Honda in Indy Car. Given the financial constraints Honda is under currently it would be remarkable to see them providing that level of support to 2 F1 Teams thru 2025.

RBRE is still heavily operating with Honda Engineering "Consultants." Do they even have the people? Who decides which Engineers go where?

I just don't see Cadillac producing a PU in 2026.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I just don't see Cadillac producing a PU in 2026.

I would presume an actual PU would be a GM Engineering project and just branded Cadillac. I could also seem them partnering with an outside firm to help develop it. The Chevrolet Indy V6, for example, is a partnership with Ilmor Engineering Ltd. so they seem to be a logical choice to help develop an F1 PU.

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I would presume an actual PU would be a GM Engineering project and just branded Cadillac. I could also seem them partnering with an outside firm to help develop it. The Chevrolet Indy V6, for example, is a partnership with Ilmor Engineering Ltd. so they seem to be a logical choice to help develop an F1 PU.
They raced under the Cadillac badge in IndyCar many moons ago...

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
M197/Trulli

3972597513_44723b624e_b.jpg

1673041473286.jpeg

f1-australian-gp-1997-jarno-trulli-minardi-m197.jpg

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Possibly. There is such a chasm between a Chevy/Honda Indy V-8 and an F1 Hybrid Era V-6 though. Ilmor doesn’t have the resources to take on a F1 PU, IMO.

However, where there is money there is often a way. I simply believe it’s too big a bite for GM Engineering to swallow.

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Possibly. There is such a chasm between a Chevy/Honda Indy V-8 and an F1 Hybrid Era V-6 though. Ilmor doesn’t have the resources to take on a F1 PU, IMO.

However, where there is money there is often a way. I simply believe it’s too big a bite for GM Engineering to swallow.

I do agree somewhat. I'm interested in exactly how invested GM is to this project.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Per the 2020 Concorde Agreement, a new entrant must pay a $200 million "dilution fee" to compensate the existing entrants for the lower prize money they could receive from more teams in the Championship.

Most of the teams (especially AMG Mercedes) believe this fee is far too small and want the "dilution fee" to be more like $600-700 million to reflect the much higher popularity and value of F1 over the past few years.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Per the 2020 Concorde Agreement, a new entrant must pay a $200 million "dilution fee" to compensate the existing entrants for the lower prize money they could receive from more teams in the Championship.

Most of the teams (especially AMG Mercedes) believe this fee is far too small and want the "dilution fee" to be more like $600-700 million to reflect the much higher popularity and value of F1 over the past few years.

Nothing but greed. This is more about keeping another US Team out. The Concorde Agreement is no longer relevant and Bin Sulaymaniyah will see to it.

The large controlling teams will always have too much influence under Sulaymaniyah. F1 is nothing but a Brothel for the Elites now.

If they follow through and raise the $200 million for Andretti I hope it backfires in the US. Any modifications to Concorde should only be made after Andretti has the opportunity to pay the $200 million.

F1 will end up like LIV Golf under Sulaymaniyah under the false pretenses of creating new value for fans.

Its great there are so many other forms of motor sports to choose from in 2023.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Nothing but greed. This is more about keeping another US Team out. The Concorde Agreement is no longer relevant and Bin Sulaymaniyah will see to it.

The large controlling teams will always have too much influence under Sulaymaniyah. F1 is nothing but a Brothel for the Elites now.

If they follow through and raise the $200 million for Andretti I hope it backfires in the US. Any modifications to Concorde should only be made after Andretti has the opportunity to pay the $200 million.

F1 will end up like LIV Golf under Sulaymaniyah under the false pretenses of creating new value for fans.

Its great there are so many other forms of motor sports to choose from in 2023.

Definitely better forms of motorsport out there in terms of entertainment. I’ve been to quite a few Grand Prix over the years, but wouldn’t bother now as it’s cheaper to have a holiday with the family than buy a weekend pass at Silverstone. The road racing scene is much more exciting than the commercial categories like F1 and I’d sooner spend £500 on a weekend in the Isle of Man for the TT than give F1 my money these days. Unfortunately it’s been greedy for a long time now and everybody thought it was Bernie who was guilty of that and Liberty Media were bringing it back to the fans. Not a chance.

Reactions: Glideslope

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
From reports I have read, FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem has been a critic of the team's demands for more money because he wants to expand the F1 grid to the full 12 teams allowed under the Concorde Agreement.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I noticed that Toto put his SUPER rare 1990 Rosso Corsa F40 up for sale from his personal collection. Only 3,440 miles on it.

Must be finalizing Lewis’ new contract. 😉

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Toto is also reluctant to say Mercedes will be challenging at the start of the season. I hope that’s sandbagging.

Most likely. Only Austin Martin has been tooting their horn over finding loopholes. I have a feeling Ferrari is going to be very quick right off the bat. They have a good idea where they are, and Charles and Carlos are very careful when they talk. Really nothing from RBR.

Under new leadership I think we are going to see a WDC and WCC contender from Ferrari.

Still so many unknowns though. Will need to sort out who is sandbagging once the public testing is underway. ;)

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
My hopes are for Max Verstappen and Red Bull to repeat their excellent 2022 performance, and for the others to pull up their socks and provide a bit more competition.

In addition, my goal is to see three F1's in person, and to not miss any of the other races.
I saw my first one last year. That was pretty awesome. It was my first race ever in general as well. I'm hoping to go again this year, this time in the air conditioned Paddock, I was across from them last year. That's not to say I wouldn't be very happy in the seats I was in last year.

Reactions: cyb3rdud3

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I saw my first one last year. That was pretty awesome. It was my first race ever in general as well. I'm hoping to go again this year, this time in the air conditioned Paddock, I was across from them last year. That's not to say I wouldn't be very happy in the seats I was in last year.
Definitely the paddock. It is pretty nice, not only fantastic front-row visibility but also great interaction and just an amazing day/weekend out. I'm eagerly awaiting it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.