Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Reports out there that Saudi Arabia tried and is still interested in buying F1 from Liberty for $20 Billion.

Tossing around the old $620 Billion Dollar Sovereign Wealth Fund AKA- Public Investment Fund.

Another LIV Golf Play. Apparently the FIA went Ballistic when they got a sniff.

So sick of monies role in Motorsport these days.

Reactions: pachyderm

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Reports out there that Saudi Arabia tried and is still interested in buying F1 from Liberty for $20 Billion.

Tossing around the old $620 Billion Dollar Sovereign Wealth Fund AKA- Public Investment Fund.

I’ll quit following it if Saudi money buys the sport, I already skip races in those desert car parks as I can. Unfortunately I think it’ll end up going to a consortium like that eventually and we probably have to accept the sport isn’t what it used to be.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

It is a true global sport, being well funded is a good thing. It helps bring it to a true global audience. Like it or not, but without money the sport (just like many others) would not reach so many people, and it becomes elitist once again. I think it is wonderful to see so much interest, so much more nowadays than there used to be.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It is a true global sport, being well funded is a good thing. It helps bring it to a true global audience. Like it or not, but without money the sport (just like many others) would not reach so many people, and it becomes elitist once again. I think it is wonderful to see so much interest, so much more nowadays than there used to be.

Nothing is worth Saudi Money. I'll never waiver on that point. Never.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
Nothing is worth Saudi Money. I'll never waiver on that point. Never.

Comes across pretty racist but hey ho your choice. I doubt you are able to live and do anything that doesn’t have a Saudi influence at some level.

One does not have to dislike Arabs to dislike select Arab governments and their human rights (or lack thereof) policies.

I'm an American and I dislike a fair number of State governments in this country for their human rights (or lack thereof) policies.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
“The Don King Clause.”

It’s all rinse and repeat as Bernie and the teams were at war on and off with the FIA for around 45 years. The sport has always been one big power struggle and especially after Bernie turned it into a profitable return. Had the teams bought the commercial rights when Bernie offered them a stake, there would be no greedy commercial rights holders in the years that followed and now.

I supported the breakaway back in 2009 and I think we’d have a much better sport now personally. Sure you’d have lost the ‘Formula One’ brand, but at least the racing would have gone the way the teams want rather than manufactured racing to suit climate agendas and ‘the show’. It would be cool to be able to enjoy proper racing before it all goes electric eventually and the pinnacle of single seater motorsport becomes a more prestige version of Formula E.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
It’s all rinse and repeat as Bernie and the teams were at war on and off with the FIA for around 45 years. The sport has always been one big power struggle and especially after Bernie turned it into a profitable return. Had the teams bought the commercial rights when Bernie offered them a stake, there would be no greedy commercial rights holders in the years that followed and now.

I supported the breakaway back in 2009 and I think we’d have a much better sport now personally. Sure you’d have lost the ‘Formula One’ brand, but at least the racing would have gone the way the teams want rather than manufactured racing to suit climate agendas and ‘the show’. It would be cool to be able to enjoy proper racing before it all goes electric eventually and the pinnacle of single seater motorsport becomes a more prestige version of Formula E.

Agreed. Amazing how often Bernie is still mentioned in the sport even today.

2009 was a huge missed opportunity.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Ford expected to announce soon that they are partnering Red Bull from 2026.
ac7010e66ab36d0cbb1d22f2fd2d6714.jpg

Reading the comments online about this and it’s amazing how many fans out there have no idea Ford have supplied engines throughout the sports history. Some find this news hilarious apparently .

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I’m surprised about Ford partnering with Red Bull. Naturally Ford has a longer history than Red Bull in Motorsport but still. It will be interesting to see whether they fit together. The jury is out for me.

I hope they like brilliant opinionated people from the Netherlands 😂

• Haha

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Ford expected to announce soon that they are partnering Red Bull from 2026.
ac7010e66ab36d0cbb1d22f2fd2d6714.jpg

Reading the comments online about this and it’s amazing how many fans out there have no idea Ford have supplied engines throughout the sports history. Some find this news hilarious apparently .

Agreed. I think sometimes we forget how far back some of us go. Allot of todays younger fan base live for the moment and quite honestly have no interest in history. I’m not implying one must be studied in history to be a fan. However, they should try to make informed comments. 🧐

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Will all depend on Adrian’s Floor Design. Will he earn his $11 million in 2023?

We’ll know when this seasons car hits the track at testing rather than last years car with this seasons livery which appears to be what we saw this week lol. Hopefully it’ll be a year where Adrian hasn’t quite got it right and we see more teams in the mix this year.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
We’ll know when this seasons car hits the track at testing rather than last years car with this seasons livery which appears to be what we saw this week lol. Hopefully it’ll be a year where Adrian hasn’t quite got it right and we see more teams in the mix this year.
The car unveiled or the pace at testing often shows little resemblance to the first race. Anyway not long now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.