Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Williams_FW15C_left_2017_Williams_Conference_Centre.jpg

That Sega sponsorship..

I saw that race at the first GP I ever went to, got some really crap blurry pictures of it somewhere. Nice livery

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
As I feared, McLaren have produced another anonymous looking race car plastered with sponsors and devoid of the brand identity they could very well portray. It does look much the same as last years. Hope it’s faster though.

d5e2523b342a400551acadc08bf9b0f5.jpg

Spyker vibes maybe?

• Wow
Reactions: pachyderm

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
As I feared, McLaren have produced another anonymous looking race car plastered with sponsors and devoid of the brand identity they could very well portray. It does look much the same as last years. Hope it’s faster though.

d5e2523b342a400551acadc08bf9b0f5.jpg

Spyker vibes maybe?

When your search engine is such a well known household name, you have to advertise your internet browser instead…

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Looks fast like last years and hopefully not hampered by poor decision making. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to see a Ferrari winning a title but it’s always good to have them fighting in the mix.

a8c605c8e9c2edf7d30dc7e36d844fbc.jpg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Looks fast like last years and hopefully not hampered by poor decision making. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want to see a Ferrari winning a title but it’s always good to have them fighting in the mix.

a8c605c8e9c2edf7d30dc7e36d844fbc.jpg
Expect to see this qualifying well and finishing poorly.
On wet tyres when everyone else is on dry tyres.
In the wall because LeClerc had a moment.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The Mercedes is back to black it seems. Similar side pod design which is surprising considering some of their own criticisms last year, but I am sure they know more than us observers. I won't say this one looks fast just yet but hope it is.

872cb694ac515b2155a02af92093625a.jpg

4892ed10e00d540da5cd24b03d6fb009.jpg

Beautiful looking car though .

Last edited:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
Mercedes has the best looking car so far. I guess that when they are that slow they though they better look good 😂😂

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
They all look so much alike these days. Saddens me.

For me the only real difference aesthetically is the shape of the air box/overhead air intake.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
They all look so much alike these days. Saddens me.

For me the only real difference aesthetically is the shape of the air box/overhead air intake.
I have to say so far i havent seen a launch pic that stands out and looks like a team is trying anything different to the rest. At least last year every design appeared new and Mercedes tried something radical that didn't work as well as Ferrari and Red Bull. So far most cars seem to look like their predecessors. With first testing we will see different parts being trialled and the flow-viz with frameworks bolted on, so maybe some of these designs will evolve further.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Original poster
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Honestly there are times on here when I do feel like #44 fans do want one car to dominate ... just saying.
Look I'd rather he won than Max, but I'd prefer it to be decided by a point or two at the last race. Any car that dominates or driver is just no fun. Multiple cars able to win, with drivers allowed to race each other within the team even makes for a good season. Having the WC decided after the first few races is just dull.

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
The Mercedes is back to black it seems. Similar side pod design which is surprising considering some of their own criticisms last year, but I am sure they know more than us observers. I won't say this one looks fast just yet but hope it is.

872cb694ac515b2155a02af92093625a.jpg

4892ed10e00d540da5cd24b03d6fb009.jpg

Beautiful looking car though .

I don't think they are allowed to change it too much, you can definitely see some differences though. Think they are stuck with the design for a while. I just think it looks ugly personally? Thought Ferrari looked the best last year. Will wait for the 'actual' race cars on the grid though before deciding which is the best looking this year.

Reactions: pachyderm

pachyderm

macrumors G4
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
I don't think they are allowed to change it too much, you can definitely see some differences though. Think they are stuck with the design for a while. I just think it looks ugly personally? Thought Ferrari looked the best last year. Will wait for the 'actual' race cars on the grid though before deciding which is the best looking this year.
I liked the Merc from last season.

3229.jpg

Sexy form fitting side pods...

3229.jpg

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I liked the aesthetics of last seasons Merc too. It was tightly packaged and in theory should have been good from an aerodynamics point of view but clearly wasn’t as good as Ferrari and Red Bull’s package. The side pods were criticised for being too radical but then so were a lot of Adrian Newley’s designs in the late 80’s/early 90’s. People laughed at his first Leyton House and despite being slower due to engine performance, many of its aero concepts were copied and taken with him to Williams in the years that followed.

Ferrari have produced a couple of nice looking cars these last 2 years. If there was a prize for that then they’d be the F1 world champions of style for sure lol.

Reactions: Pezimak

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
Now this is confusing? Did anyone know about this? Was told today. Red Bull are building a car for Brad Pitt's new film, so technically there will be 3 Red Bulls on the grid. But I've no idea how they will do the filming around the racing? All the teams and drivers and crews will be involved too.

So not only do they have all the TV crews covering the races, they also have the Netflix drive to survive crews, and now a movie production team and cast will be following and filming them in the second half of the season.
Don't do F1 if you don't like the limelight and a camera in your face every 5 seconds! And not the ones in the cars either..

I also got a sneak peak at Adrian Newey's new RB17 hyper car, won't disclose anything about it though as I don't think it's public knowledge yet what it looks like. But it's rumoured to be around 5 million anyway haha, I'll have two!

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Now this is confusing? Did anyone know about this? Was told today. Red Bull are building a car for Brad Pitt's new film, so technically there will be 3 Red Bulls on the grid. But I've no idea how they will do the filming around the racing? All the teams and drivers and crews will be involved too.

I also got a sneak peak at Adrian Newey's new RB17 hyper car, won't disclose anything about it though as I don't think it's public knowledge yet what it looks like. But it's rumoured to be around 5 million anyway haha, I'll have two!

I’d imagine Red Bull will get permission to use the track in between sessions for filming purposes unless it’s CGI in regards to the fans trackside. I hope it goes through FIA scrutineering though to make sure none of the parts are recording telemetry during the ‘filming’ lol. We can never be sure with the Milton Keynes crowd .

I thought the RB17 was first shown to the public last year?

Pezimak

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2021
I’d imagine Red Bull will get permission to use the track in between sessions for filming purposes unless it’s CGI in regards to the fans trackside. I hope it goes through FIA scrutineering though to make sure none of the parts are recording telemetry during the ‘filming’ lol. We can never be sure with the Milton Keynes crowd .

I thought the RB17 was first shown to the public last year?

I googled it and the RB17 has only been shown in a drawing of the side profile from what I could see.

As for the filming who knows? I know that all teams are involved though, so yeah how it'll work with the rule book seems confusing. Surprised the FIA allowed it although I'm sure they've been compensated for the inconvenience.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.