Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
According to a new report, Apple has been demoing a new product to select insiders. The new device is reportedly a 2GB "mini" iPod, and has been noted to come in a variety of colors. Expected introduction of the new low-end iPods are in January 2004.

Some recent rumors have hinted at low end iPods coming from Apple, with subsequent corroboration.

While Apple presently uses Toshiba's 1.8" hard drives in existing iPod devices, Toshiba will be introducing 1" hard drives at the Consumer Electronics Show, also in January 2004.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I think something like this would be fantastic...I would love to have a smaller iPod for when I go work out...not that the iPod is too big or bulky, because it is not...but I would like to have an iPod that you can strap around your arm while working out...that would be cool

joed

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2002
Budapest, Hungary
As soon as I read the report about Toshiba's 1" drives starting production shortly, I immediately thought of mini-iPods. I think this rumors is pretty logical and these would fit a different market than the larger iPods.

Apple already make different size iMacs, iBooks and Powerbooks so why not iPods!

Looking forward to Macworld San Fran, but worried that no Steve Jobs Keynote announcement has been made - yet.

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Re: 2GB Mini-iPods in Janaury?

Originally posted by Macrumors
According to a new report, Apple has been demoing a new product to select insiders. The new device is reportedly a 2GB "mini" iPod, and has been noted to come in a variety of colors. Expected introduction of the new low-end iPods are in January 2004.

Some recent rumors have hinted at low end iPods coming from Apple, with subsequent corroboration.

While Apple presently use Toshiba's 1.8" hard drives in existing iPod devices, Toshiba will be introducing 1" hard drives at the Consumer Electronics Show, also in January 2004.

Exciting, if true. But I wouldn't get your hopes up on this mini-pod costing less than $199; $169 would be a stretch me thinks. I like the idea of variety of colors: Apple's definitely targetting kids with this one.

Multiple colors
All-plastic body
smaller screen, smaller scroll
no remote, no dock, no case
no accessories via firewire adaptor
2 gb HDD (--> 500 songs or 33 hours of music)
extra games
$169

B@SS_SHOCK

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
Perth, WA
God how i'd love to see cheaper, lower-capacity iPods released. That's the only reason I haven't bought an iPod yet, I just can't afford it right now.

But the thing is, will Apple make revenue from this? From my perspective, the way Apple makes money is to charge a premium for the low-volumes of stock they sell compared to Dell or HP who sell in high numbers to gain their revenue. So would Apple gain a cut for themselves with a cheaper iPod?

Anyways, 2GB is enough to hold about half of my music library, and that's OK, I only listen to one half all the time anyways.....

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Re: 2GB Mini-iPods in Janaury?

Why does everyone thing that these would be disked based? An IPod that small could very well be flashed based. Actually it would be really groovee if the unit accepted compact flash cards.

I'm all for minidisk technology and all, but there are cost issues that could be addressed with an all solid state device. Not to mention increased reliability. Sure flash has its own issues but make that a replaceable item and about all that there is left ot fail is the battery.

Thanks
Dave

Originally posted by Macrumors

While Apple presently use Toshiba's 1.8" hard drives in existing iPod devices, Toshiba will be introducing 1" hard drives at the Consumer Electronics Show, also in January 2004.

macnews

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2003
Idaho
I think this would be a great move for Apple. While the iPod is no loss leader, I think iTunes could really be a money maker if you get enough people buying on a regular basis. Priced at or around $100-$200, this would help drive interest.

It would also help introduce people to the other Apple products like iMacs, ibooks and the pro line. All around win for Apple, not to mention a great way to squash all the johnny come lately's with their online music stores.

punter

macrumors 6502
Feb 22, 2003
Australia
i wonder if they will use these new drives. Wouldn't that make them relatively expensive?

2GB is easily enough music to last me until I connect up to a computer again. It's still so much better then going on holiday with a cache of cds.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
A numer of new uses

Just because it is 2GB doesn't mean it will be that much less expensive. I think 199 would be the bottom. We'll probably see the 10GB go to 249, so the upsell will be easier. Maybe a new 60GB iPod for 499 for those who use their iPods for more than Music.

What excites me about a 2GB iPod would be an even smaller form factor. It could be small enough to plug into a Digital camera and the new Digital video cameras directly and give you 2GB, that would open the iPod up to a much larger market. Seeing that 256MB Flash cards are going for around that much anyway.

Hope its true.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
Another thought is that now with Hitachi and another even cheaper chinese manufacturer among the 1.8" drive manufactures, with Apple's iPod volume, the pricing pressure on Toshiba has got to be huge. I am speculating that Apple sells at least a Million iPods this quarter. The economy of scale for them has got to be tremendous.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
Multi-colored little 2 GB wonders? Sounds like a flash iPod to me.

On the other hand, the "variety of colors" thing could be a giveaway that this rumor is no good. That would herald a major new development (retrodevelopment, I suppose) in Apple's hardware style. A lot of people who don't know Apple well enough still think they're the company with the fruit-colored computers. Apple's due for a new consumer-level look, but just going back to multi-colors seems lame. Of course, maybe I am assuming the wrong thing about what that means. It doesn't have to mean the return of grape and tangerine. Perhaps each device is multi-colored in Ive's new new vision of the future that we have yet to see. Who knows.

Nik_Doof

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2003
St Helens, UK
Originally posted by Awimoway
Multi-colored little 2 GB wonders? Sounds like a flash iPod to me.

On the other hand, the "variety of colors" thing could be a giveaway that this rumor is no good. That would herald a major new development (retrodevelopment, I suppose) in Apple's hardware style. A lot of people who don't know Apple well enough still think they're the company with the fruit-colored computers. Apple's due for a new consumer-level look, but just going back to multi-colors seems lame. Of course, maybe I am assuming the wrong thing about what that means. It doesn't have to mean the return of grape and tangerine. Perhaps each device is multi-colored in Ive's new new vision of the future that we have yet to see. Who knows.

I dunno, they've been selling the ipod colours alot recently....just hope they dont match them from the ipod adverts....uck samon pink :(

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
Originally posted by joed

Looking forward to Macworld San Fran, but worried that no Steve Jobs Keynote announcement has been made - yet.

Jobs' keynotes are always announced very late in the game, so this is the norm, not the exception, and certainly no cause for worries.

biscuit

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by Awimoway ...the "variety of colors" thing could be a giveaway that this rumor is no good...
Bingo.

Apple won't want to go backwards; the iPod has a recognisable style already. The only thing is those coloured ads....

Also, while a 2 Gb flash-based iPod would be great I doubt they could get the price down. Have you seen how much those 2 Gb USB pen drives are? They're more than the top of the line iPod!

biscuit

ipiloot

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2001
Khmm

Wasn't it Apple who got the patent for computer cases with siwtchable colors and textures...

Makes me wonder if that'd be the casing for both - new big and new small iPod

Originally posted by biscuit
Bingo.

Apple won't want to go backwards; the iPod has a recognisable style already. The only thing is those coloured ads....

Also, while a 2 Gb flash-based iPod would be great I doubt they could get the price down. Have you seen how much those 2 Gb USB pen drives are? They're more than the top of the line iPod!

biscuit

Gymnut

macrumors 68000
Apr 18, 2003
I wonder how small is "mini" in comparison to the current iPods. I think the current iPods are small enough. Anything smaller like the state of some of the cell phones out now could mean some fumbling with some users if it's "too" mini.

simply258

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2003
Bahrain
What is one thing that makes Nokia mobile phones popular ?

Exchangable covers

Maybe these mini iPods, if they're even going to be called iPods, will have exchangable covers, so not only can you have the white we're used to, but also plain colors as well as designs.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
Sounds cute and pretty to me :)

Perhaps the old iMac colors will slowly return to Apple products.

I hope this rumor has some credibility. I don't plan on buying this iPod, since I already have my 15 gigs, but it'd be nice to see some of my friends now be able to buy an iPod in some form.

ITR 81

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2003
It won't be Flash because Jobs has already worked to hard to establish himself has a HD MP3 player market leader. To go Flash would be like going backwards for him. Analysts have already said SJ was right about HD players and all tech analysts are saying 04' is the yr of the HD player.

Also consider the fact how well iPods are selling. My friend at CompUSA told me they have no more 20GB left. They've only got a couple of 30 and 40's left with about 10, 10GB iPods left. He said all those will probably be gone by end of this coming week and they don't expect to get anymore anytime soon. Because apparently Apple told them they are not takening any new orders for iPod until Jan.

More then likely the iPods will have exchangable covers like the Nokia phones now. This makes Apples job easier because other 3rd party companies can make the covers while Apple just makes the small iPods. Also I expect a 2GB iPod to be around $150 and a 5GB to be around $199.

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
As far as the different color ipods making this just a rumor remember that this things are supposedly being demoed. Sometimes demo products are made from different materials since they are trying to make sure the product WORKS before it looks good. These demos could really be in different colors but the final version may not be.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Wireless controller

Anything that small is not only useful for MP3s but also as a remote control. It could be using a Bluetooth interface.

nsb3000

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2003
Boston, MA
Originally posted by simply258
What is one thing that makes Nokia mobile phones popular ?

Exchangable covers

Maybe these mini iPods, if they're even going to be called iPods, will have exchangable covers, so not only can you have the white we're used to, but also plain colors as well as designs.

This would make them look like cheap cellphones ...not what they are going for. I don't understand why you all think this is true...

While there is some point to a 2 gig MP3 player, the whole thing about the ipod is that you put your entire music library on it, so you have the simple one touch integration. With 2 gigs that would not be possible for many people, and the whole thing becomes a lot more complicated.

-NSB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.