Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macMaestro

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2003
I wouldn't believe this rumor for an instant. 2gigs? That sounds fine. Colors?

No.

Those colors coming standard on an iPod? Bleagh. I could be wrong, but this doesn't seem like a possible move. Or a good move.

[OPTIMISTIC]
But a 2gig minus the colors? For say, $149?
Bring it on! :D
[/OPTIMISTIC]

Jookbox

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2002
this is cool. money has nothing to do with it, but i would much much rather have something like this (assuming it's a lot smaller). i'm in the market to take something jogging with me. i was never interested in the current ipods. it's not like i need every last friggin mp3 i own for a 40 minute jog.

i hope this rumor is true.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Because "business is business"

Originally posted by Awimoway
You know, the more I think about it, the more another idea occurs to me. It really bothers me that there isn't one single blessed car stereo that will let you dock your iPod directly into the stereo and let you use your stereo controls to enjoy your iPod in the car in an easy way free of standalone docking connectors, auxilary cords, tape adaptor cords, or crappy FM broadcasters.

I just can't understand why not even one car stereo manufacturer hasn't made this yet.

Well maybe the problem is with the iPod...

The problem is not with the iPod.

The problem is not 'technology', because all home stereo rack systems have RCA jacks and the like.

The problem is that Open Interface Standards encourages commodization of the product, which means lower profit margins for the manufacturer. They avoid commodization by choosing to not offer features that will reduce their profit margins...its simple "protection of Turf".

An example of this is adding an optional multiple-CD player to the head unit in your car: you can pay the factory's high price, or you can skip it and try to DIY in the aftermarket. For the latter, you immediately find that there's no universal deck-to-CD interface because each automaker has a brand that they use, and without going the route of an FM modulator, mixing brands is usually impossible. It is because of this "vertical integration" that the factory is able to lock you in to higher prices.

The most extreme contemporary example I'm familar with comes from the digital optical link on 2002-vintage Mercedes that's proprietary to Becker CD players.

The result is that the factory's optional 6CD changer ran $800. If you try to save money by an aftermarket DIY installation of the Becker, you save some money, but its still over $600: you can buy three (3!) FM modulator-based multi-CD systems for that, so the financial motivation for the consumer to trade-off features (such as dashboard integration) is high.

FWIW, MB did recognize that they were making less profit because too many people were skipping the option entirely, so they changed the sound system for 2003 models which reduced the cost of the option (to $410). But its simply a less expensive system whose interface is still proprietary...not an open standard.

-hh

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
this is great news, this is the exact market apple needs to hit, an ipod for everyone. there are just some people who simply dont have many songs and 2gb would be plenty. maybe somewhere between 100-200 dollars and they will sell a s*** load of them. too bad its going to be after christmas.

iJon

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Originally posted by azdude
Ahh... could this be an ePod??
No, an ePod would be the education version. It looks like the current iPods should be named PowerPods and the new ones should be the iPods. Except PowerBooks and Power Macs got their name from the PowerPC chip. So maybe, instead, we need to use a new vowel. I can just imagine the slogan:

The uPod - U Need One!

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
Originally posted by Doctor Q
No, an ePod would be the education version. It looks like the current iPods should be named PowerPods and the new ones should be the iPods. Except PowerBooks and Power Macs got their name from the PowerPC chip. So maybe, instead, we need to use a new vowel. I can just imagine the slogan:

The uPod - U Need One!

hypothetically speaking an epod is not such a bad idea. it plays music, but with more and more computers being used at schools, it would also double as a data storage/transfer device for student files. throw in a few other features and it might work... then again probably not.

JoeMacDaddy

macrumors newbie
Apr 16, 2003
Plan 'O Tejas
2gig iPods would be great!

The older 2Gig drives (made before the 5Gig iPod was announced) are dirt cheap today and would make the iPod cost about $99 retail especially if you replaced the stainless steel belly plate with a colorfull high impact plastic. They could make these the thickness of one CD jewel case.

My only question to Apple would be is why wait to January? You should be selling these now before Christmas! Everyone would put these into every teens and college students stockinng from Santa.

mjtomlin

Jan 19, 2002
no miniPod...

However, Steve Jobs has said they ARE looking for ways to make a cheaper iPod. Here's what I think and why...

First of all, all you have to do is look at the iPods greatest strengths; looks cool, sounds even better, easy to use. These are the three biggest points made in any review of the device. Apple should focus on that and come out with the following "affordable" model...

1. The iPod's size is perfect. There is no reason to change it just to make it less expensive.
2. White only. Keeps manufacturing costs down
3. Hard drive based. 5GB ONLY. I don't care what people say about flash memory. Its still way too expensive. Hard drives offer much, much more capacity at cheaper prices.
4. Ultra long battery life. Up to 16 hours.
5. Digital music player ONLY. All other features removed; no 3rd party add-ons, no games, no contacts, no "Mac on the go." (The only feature that would possibly be retained is the ability to use it as a portable hard drive.) Some of these features are Mac only anyway, what makes this a selling point to Windows users? It doesn't. Get rid of it.

Cost, $149

So what you end up with is an iPod, that looks like every other iPod, sounds and plays music like any other iPod and easily integrates with iTunes just like any other iPod.

But you say this will cannibalize the higher priced iPods. No, it won't. Currently, it's the higher capacity iPods that are flying off the shelves the quickest. The cheaper iPod being only 5GB would not appeal to any of those people. And to those who see a lot of value in the extra features would not at all be interested in the cheaper model.

Ultimately, what you end up with is more people using iTunes ... seeing the benefit of Apple design/integration... and quite possibly making the move to purchase a Macintosh the next time they're in the market for a new computer.

Young Turk

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2002
Ipod and Jogging

Originally posted by Jookbox
this is cool. money has nothing to do with it, but i would much much rather have something like this (assuming it's a lot smaller). i'm in the market to take something jogging with me. i was never interested in the current ipods. it's not like i need every last friggin mp3 i own for a 40 minute jog.

i hope this rumor is true.

FWIW, my 15 gb iPod works great on my daily 6 miles runs. I hold it in my hand and it never skips. In fact, neither did my original 5 gb that I bought when they debuted in Nov. 2001.

stingerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2003
After giving it some thought, I would be surprised if Apple came out with a less expensive iPod with more than 1GB HD in it. Why? Because Apple's main competition in that area is the flash players and at 1GB, a new iPod would still be more attractive than a theoretically more expensive 256MB Flash player. Toshiba's 1" drives at 1GB would use very little power and should be very cheap in volume.

Apple needs a product for the flash player price range, as per unit sales, flash players are pretty large. And, their currently does no exist an AAC/DRM player in that price range - a major gap in the ecology.

MacTitan

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2003
iPed is for the person on the run. Whatever it is, it will be marketed as a compliment to the current iPod line up. I would rule out a flash based drive; A smaller form factor and the ability to strap it on the arm is what people want in a MP3 player while working out, jogging, etc. Solid state drives with skipping and potential damage will be people's concern.

The ability to sync with a folder on the larger iPod would be cool. Also iPod lite would allow iPod to develop as a full featured media player in the future, while iPod lite remains a audio player

Panasonic offers AAC a flash player already, although a bit pricy and no DRM (but who cares).

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Originally posted by nsb3000
This would make them look like cheap cellphones ...not what they are going for. I don't understand why you all think this is true...

While there is some point to a 2 gig MP3 player, the whole thing about the ipod is that you put your entire music library on it, so you have the simple one touch integration. With 2 gigs that would not be possible for many people, and the whole thing becomes a lot more complicated.

-NSB

the whole thing about a small 2GB iPod that attracts me is the fact that when I got my 10GB iPod first, i only had about 2GB of music, now I have 16GB and I have to select the music I want on it now...

given than, I never ever select 10GB to put on it, maybe 10 albums?? which is about 800MB...

I never use the iPod for anything other than music because I've got a 250GB external.

So, this small iPod would be fantastic for me, someone who has too much music to fit onto their current iPod, that doesn't want a huge capacity iPod where much of the space would be wasted... I mean, how much work is it to just select the albums you want just before you step out the door?

color? I don't know, that has been done before... but I do think that if Apple were ever going to re-introduce color into their product line-up, it would be in little small devices like these. They would be like little bars of Candy. large swathes of luminous colour ARE very passé. small, lickable bars of colorful devices are gorgeous I think...

Interchangable covers are not a very good idea I think because even on Nokia Mobiles, they rarely fir properly. esp 3rd party ones.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Originally posted by johnpaul191
hasn't compactflash hit 2 gigs in its standard small format? i know they passed the 1 gig mark a while back. if it's built into the device it could be an odd size. the rumor implied small storage. while i think the rumor is kind of out there, there is something nice about not having a drive with moving parts. they could be more durable for people that don't exercise on a treadmill or stationary bike in a climate controlled room. they should get better battery life for the same battery, or for the same life they could use a much smaller battery.

i agree it seems like a step back to only transfer playlists as opposed to ALL your music. i would also think it would prevent people from buying the full iPod and all the potential they have (portable firewire drive and that thing about taking your home directory with you that was almost in 10.3).

maybe in MWSF in jan, Jobs will re-introduce the "Home on your iPod" function and maybe one or two more niceties/add-ons for the current iPod...

then the iPod would have all these functions;
Music player, remote, contacts, notes, calendar, HD, Home on Ipod, games, voice recording, and loads more!

Should apple release a 2GB iPod, it could strip all these functions and concentrate solely on music...

it would then give the iPod room to evolve into something more resembling an iPod, as the name suggests... Pod does not equal music... it should equal all things to all people...

these new one will bring the iPod back to its roots and really create a new market for the iPod, something so massmarket, it may actually be able to live up to its billing as the "walkman of the 20th century"

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Originally posted by adamfilip
i think that the so called "mini ipod" wont be smaller..in height and width.. as someone mentioned. apple has spent alot marketing the look and shape of the ipod
i do think they will releases new ipods that are much thinner and lighter making them much easier to lug around.

I don't think in any way has Apple spent a lot marketing the look and shape of the iPod, only what is necessary, products need to evolve over time...

look at the Playstation, that has sold many many many more times more than than the iPod but that is a an evolving device... soon coming to it's 4th generation in the PStwo.

I am sure whatever Apple come up with for a new iPod, it will have all the distinct attributes of the current iPod, which is, brilliant design, simplicity and convenience.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Originally posted by Bunzi2k4
*sigh* i wanted a color 15 gig ipod... preferably the black one... o well white is ok... i guess...

it sounds as though you have actually seen these colored iPods... but I have to say, there has never been a Black iPod.

iChan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2003
Dublin, Ireland.
Re: 2gig iPods would be great!

Originally posted by JoeMacDaddy
The older 2Gig drives (made before the 5Gig iPod was announced) are dirt cheap today and would make the iPod cost about $99 retail especially if you replaced the stainless steel belly plate with a colorfull high impact plastic. They could make these the thickness of one CD jewel case.

My only question to Apple would be is why wait to January? You should be selling these now before Christmas! Everyone would put these into every teens and college students stockinng from Santa.

just because they are older does not make them cheaper, there are advantages to buying bulk and for a manufacturer to produce these old 2GB solely for Apple would not be bulk enough... even if they are the leaders in this market.

If apple do have these already, I presume that the margins would not be as high as the current iPod and they would not want to kill the sales of the current iPod with a smaller cheaper which would arguable make better gifts.

anyway, a small iPod is not something that can be just thrown out there, it takes time.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Once an iPod reaches its song capacity, I've been thinking that you have two choices: (a) buy a bigger iPod, or (b) make a subset collection of your tunes and stop storing your whole collection on the iPod. I know people who think that (b) is such an inconvenience that (a) is their only choice. With this rumored smaller iPod, the issue is even more likely to come up. And I realize there is actually another choice, which Apple won't like: (c) stop buying music when you reach the capacity of your iPod!

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Only peice that was missing

A low end IPod, and Apple will conquer. 2 gig IPod, maybe all the normal functions or maybe just an MP3 player, for just $99. That would make a killing, just don't know if you can make a 2 gig drive that cheep. Multi colored, and you have a kids best friend, every parent will get one for all their kids. I would even get one for my mom, note that she is a little technologically challenged, and I'm a College student which means no money. Just wish they had it out already for Christmas.

BITE MY SHINNY METAL ASS DELL! - IPod

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
Originally posted by luiss
A 1GB IBM (now hitachi) Microdrive (1" hard disk) still sell for about $200. Just because they're smaller does not mean they're that they're much cheaper. A cheaper iPod might be more likely to have a 1.8" drive. I would not be surprised if a 4GB mini pod would cost just as much as a 10-20 GB iPod.
Actually, there's a new 2.2 GB IBM microdrive (1") selling retail (street) US$ 215. Sounds like a possibility.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
1" hard drive = cell phone?

Some of the cell phones available today are ludicrously small. You could put a 1" hard drive, the contents of a mini phone, and a bluetooth chipset in the current iPod case. And, of course, the alien-derived ultra wideband FireWireless (tm). :)

Steve likes to talk about "the technology is just now available to do this - we couldn't even think about it before" as he's introducing a product. The tiny hard drive is a good enough excuse to offset his ScullyNewton venom.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Re: 1" hard drive = cell phone?

Originally posted by ClimbingTheLog
And, of course, the alien-derived ultra wideband FireWireless (tm). :)

Hey, did you make that name up yourself? That's pretty darn funny! Maybe it'll be abbreviated to FiWi? (As, obviously, opposed to WiFi.) Oh well, whatever. Name a funny it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.