Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMook

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2003
I'm skimming through this thread, and NOT ONCE did I see mention of Cornice. Does no one know of this company?!?! The guys behind the 1.5GB hard drive in the Rio Nitrus, Creative MuVo^2, and the Samsung ITCAM-7?

Cornice micro-HDDs are cheaper than hitachi/toshiba because they don't include the RAM and ROM chips in the drive chassis itself. Since they're tailor-made for the portable A/V world, they figure that the devices themselves can spare a few MB for operating ROM and hard drive buffer.

If there IS a microPod in the works, I see no reason why Apple shouldn't adopt the Cornice drive over "standard" microdrives.

Also, Toshiba has a prototype 0.85" HDD now. Think about it, a maybe-3GB (for the high end) HDD the size of a nickel, with a casing barely bigger than an SD card. If Apple wants ultra-bleeding-edge technology that's "just now made possible", it should go for either the ultra-tiny Toshiba HDD or the Cornice HDD, IMHO.

ClimbingTheLog

macrumors 6502a
May 21, 2003
Re: Re: 1" hard drive = cell phone?

Originally posted by Bengt77
Hey, did you make that name up yourself? ... Name a funny it is.

I was typing out Firewire Wireless, and that just seems too redundant. So together they went, and I tacked on (tm) at the end, so Apple will have to send me a sweet G5 setup with the works in exchange for license to use the name.

Waking up now...

breakaway1029

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2003
Here is what I think:
1. It is a good idea for Apple to wait until after christmas to announce new products because the iPod in particular is flying off the shelves, and is someting like the #3 present kids are asking for this holiday season.
2. Apple shouldn't change the appearance of the iPod too much, if a smaller and cheaper version is introduced, because Apple has spent a huge ammont of money making sure that the design of the iPod is recognized by everyone.
3. A new version should be a bridge between the flash and harddrive mp3 players. This would make sure that the flash market becomes obsolete, while creating a huge new market of buyers. Here is an example:

person wants a harddrive mp3 player but doesn't have a large colletion or a lot of money --> buys 2gb iPod --> realizes that their collection doesn't fit on iPod --> slowly amasses a larger collection through iTMS and other music sources --> Realizes they now have a sizeable collection and enough money to buy a larger iPod --> buys a "regular" (15,20,30,40gb) iPod (with a larger profit margin for apple).

In this model, Apple lets people get a "taste" of the iPod without shelling out $300-$500, and then when the time comes to upgrade, they are so familiar with apple, they buy a larger iPod.

MacForbes

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2003
Canada
this mini-ipod would definity sell. I mean just look at Palm. They made a low cost, craptacular (compared to other palms) pda, but it still sold very well. Even CNet said "the device went on to become last year's best-selling Palm, proving once again that price is king in the electronics business." (taken from http://reviews.cnet.com/Palm_Zire_21/4505-3127_7-30557631.html?tag=pdtl-list)

I think the mini-ipod would sell alot with the teenagers, if it had a 100-150 price range and 2 gb would be just fine. As for flash based ... not happening too expensive. Anyway if Apple make this mini-ipod, i will be happy.

McMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2003
Warsaw, Poland
Flash or HD? Who cares! How about a new iPod with the same design, the same weight and everything but... LET IT HAVE AN EXCHANGEABLE BATTERY!!!!!!
How about that?

yamabushi

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2003
Originally posted by MarkCollette
I will have the last laugh, after all of you have debated flash versus harddrive, and Apple instead releases... a RAM based player :D
Actually a RAM based player isn't such a crazy idea. Very fast access. Just leave your iPod in a charging cradle when not in use. If your battery runs out of juice, you can copy your songs back quickly and start listening while it continues to recharge.

I would like to see some limited edition iPods with various color themes. Perhaps they could be prizes for a contest or sweepstakes. Stars and Stripes, Union Jack, company logos, original artwork, etc. Personally I'll take a design based on Hokusai's famous stylized wave from his series 36 Views of Fuji.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Would it be possible (technically and pricewise) for Apple or anyone else to make a disk-based MP3 player that lets you pop out the disk drive and replace it with a larger version for an "upgrade" price, so you could start smaller/cheaper and pay more later when your music collection grows? To avoid it becoming a tool for bootleggers, let's say that the disk can be removed only after an "erase and release" function.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I think that a mini-ipod would be very ideal, allowing people with less music to buy an iPod that fits better. For some people buying a 10 gig is like buying a shoe that's 4 sizes to large.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have been calling them MiniPods, but I thought of an even simpler form: A smaller iPod could be called an ipod!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.