Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the_mole1314

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Well guys, I knew about a cheeper iPod, but either this is false, or the product has litterally changed 180º. The one I heard about had bigger HD, was just like the other ones, and it was thinner.

As for the flash based idea, it's totally absured. Flash is expensive, flash is slow, and flash can't store jack-****.

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
Originally posted by nsb3000
This would make them look like cheap cellphones ...not what they are going for. I don't understand why you all think this is true...

While there is some point to a 2 gig MP3 player, the whole thing about the ipod is that you put your entire music library on it, so you have the simple one touch integration. With 2 gigs that would not be possible for many people, and the whole thing becomes a lot more complicated.

-NSB

But 2 gigs is plenty for some people. And those people might not want to spend a couple hundred dollars more for all those extra gigs if they are not going to use them. If these people aren't going to buy the higher capacity iPods, make something they will buy.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Why do people keep saying that the iPod is for storing you entire music library, i dont see that anywhere in the iPod section at apple.

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
Originally posted by the_mole1314
Well guys, I knew about a cheeper iPod, but either this is false, or the product has litterally changed 180º. The one I heard about had bigger HD, was just like the other ones, and it was thinner.

As for the flash based idea, it's totally absured. Flash is expensive, flash is slow, and flash can't store jack-****.
hasn't compactflash hit 2 gigs in its standard small format? i know they passed the 1 gig mark a while back. if it's built into the device it could be an odd size. the rumor implied small storage. while i think the rumor is kind of out there, there is something nice about not having a drive with moving parts. they could be more durable for people that don't exercise on a treadmill or stationary bike in a climate controlled room. they should get better battery life for the same battery, or for the same life they could use a much smaller battery.

i agree it seems like a step back to only transfer playlists as opposed to ALL your music. i would also think it would prevent people from buying the full iPod and all the potential they have (portable firewire drive and that thing about taking your home directory with you that was almost in 10.3).

johnpaul191

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2002
Philadelphia PA
Originally posted by 1macker1
Why do people keep saying that the iPod is for storing you entire music library, i dont see that anywhere in the iPod section at apple.
when you sync your iPod it's very easy to keep you whole library on your iPod and your machine. you don't have to, but most people out there don't have 80 gigs of MP3s and if you have 4 or 5 or 15 gigs then why not take everything... assuming your iPod is big enough?

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
i think that the so called "mini ipod" wont be smaller..in height and width.. as someone mentioned. apple has spent alot marketing the look and shape of the ipod
i do think they will releases new ipods that are much thinner and lighter making them much easier to lug around.

machinehien

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
houston
Originally posted by 1macker1

There's a lot you can do with the iPod that is not listed on the official site.

"There are some people, that if they don't know, you can't tell them" -Louis Armstrong

scat999999

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2003
2gb makes a lot of sense business wise. >

Get people hooked on the iPod and then they will trade up to the larger, more profitable models.

Originally posted by dongmin
Apple's definitely targetting kids with this one.

Multiple colors
All-plastic body
smaller screen, smaller scroll
no remote, no dock, no case
no accessories via firewire adaptor
2 gb HDD (--> 500 songs or 33 hours of music)
extra games
$169

luiss

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2002
A 1GB IBM (now hitachi) Microdrive (1" hard disk) still sell for about $200. Just because they're smaller does not mean they're that they're much cheaper. A cheaper iPod might be more likely to have a 1.8" drive. I would not be surprised if a 4GB mini pod would cost just as much as a 10-20 GB iPod.

D*I*S_Frontman

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2002
Appleton,WI
The slow march

Seems to me that Apple will be content to ride their market without too many twists and turns here. I mean, yikes, the current high priced units are still selling out almost everywhere. The current form factor is elegant and sized well--I concur with those who say that going much smaller increases the "fumbling" factor when trying to operate the thing.

It seems very obvious what Apple will do in the future with the iPod--exactly what they've done thus far. Bump the HD size every so often for the $500 pricepoint unit and offer two smaller ones for less (the "good, better, & best" marketing scheme from the ol' Sears catalog). Keeping the price UP maintains an air of sophistication and value. Whoring out a small unit for $99, no matter what the specs, hurts the perceived value of all iPods. No need to do it if people are pouncing on the pricey ones. Fewer units = fewer defective/returns, less shipping costs, higher percieved value among current owners = better market perception = higher profit.

I know many here have the fantasy of buying a cheap iPod. I wager that Steve would rather sell you a better one (60GB) than a cheaper one, despite what he might say.

If I have any hope for a new innovation, it would be for the "take your Mac with you" functionality we thought might be coming with Panther. While it seems very doable, I'm sure Steve and the boys are sweating a bit over it. Being able to take your Mac with you and use someone else's system to do your work on might result in slightly fewer CPUs sold, especially portables. Why buy a monster 17" when you can go from your killer tower @ home to your killer tower @ work? Yes, I know that this does not make the laptop obsolete in any respect, but if adding that functionality deters even one in 100 not to get a PBook, Apple is shooting itself in the foot. Apple still may do it if they think the functionality of the "Mac on the go" iPod enhances the user experience so much that it becomes yet another source of envy for the potentia switcher/PC crowd, but trust me--they are thinking long and hard about it befoire they plunge in.

Just my take.

kuyu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Louisville
this could work in a specific niche. Perhaps young kids or older people would buy them. I know my little cousins and grandparents don't own more than 500 songs.

But I guess we'll see at macworld 04...

Mofus

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2003
San Diego
In regard to the term "mini", I don't think they are refering to the physical size of the device, but rather the capacity. Apple has put a lot of advertising dollars into the recognizability of the iPod, and I don't think they would want to introduce something that looks different. If they did intoduce a smaller capacity one for much cheaper, I would probably buy a second. My 20 gig for my whole music library, and my 2 gig for just the songs I listen to all of the time. As far as different colors, they could be talking about shades of gray. A stainless steel face plate would be cool too.

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
Just beacuse one person want's to do something other than music, doesnt mean everyone else wants to.
Originally posted by machinehien
There's a lot you can do with the iPod that is not listed on the official site.

"There are some people, that if they don't know, you can't tell them" -Louis Armstrong

mrsebastian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2002
sunny san diego
i'd be very happy to see a mini ipod, like a smaller more fun form factor (think imac to powermac). at an affordable price, everyone and their mother would get one just to be cool.

i've noticed in these continuing rumors, people always say apple can't make a cheap ipod, that the cost of the drives are too high. do you really think apple is paying retail value for the drives?! considering the quantity of ipods sold, one would think apple is getting one heck of deal from some drive manufacturer. show me the mini-pod!

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
What is the intended niche?

Originally posted by kuyu
this could work in a specific niche. Perhaps young kids or older people would buy them. I know my little cousins and grandparents don't own more than 500 songs.

Well, I fall into the "older people" category, and a smaller capacity iPod isn't a big concern for me: I can cherry-pick my music collection to resolve that part. Besides, I want to minimize my labor of typing title/artist/album info when importing the song into iTunes anyway :D

Now I can easily afford to buy any iPod, but I haven't done so, because at the current price point, I can't justify the toy.

Much of this is the infrequency with which I listen to my music collection. I'd like to have a song-carrier for listening in my car, but my reality here is that while this is where I do listen to 90% of my music, its radio-based so as to also get traffic & weather, which is why my cars' cassette & CD players go unused. As such, to justify it, not only should it be inexpensive, but it needs to offer more utility.

One aspect of utility is that I travel a lot, and it would be nice to take an MP3 player with me on vacations and business flights. However, I prefer to travel really light, and in order to be able to use such a device for a multi-day trip, a small, light battery recharger is necessary. Unfortunately, it appears that Apple's $49 iPod AC recharger is one of the ancient, heavy "brick" transformers that is an insult to technology and innovation.

(For comparison, he's the small, light recharger for my Motorola StarTAC cellphone...its under 2oz and under 2 cubic inches in volume): http://tinyurl.com/zbo0

But even this isn't probably _enough_ utility for me. Two additional features would be enough to push me over would be:

- autonomous sound recording
- digital wallet function to support a digital camera.

FWIW, I realize that the latter in particular would mean a lot more storage than a 2GB 1" HD. For my personal preferences (YMMV), I'd keep the existing form factor and take the volume savings of the 1" HD to invest it in longer battery life - - - and leave the heavy brick recharger at home.

Finally, now that Apple has decided on the design interface for their iPod dock, I need corporate reassurances that its not going to change with future products.

I realize that some change is inevitable, but I've already gone through this nonsense with PDA docks with a lack of forward thinking and product planning: if a new "mini-iPod" can't use the same dock as the current iPod, then the message that Apple is saying to me is that if I do want to eventually have a product that is very flexible (car, airplane, work PC, home Mac, stereo), that Apple's "solution" is that I have to fork over an extra $200 in interfaces with each new product revision...not only does that discourage me from buying at all, but it also will make me more likely to buy something and then stick with it for 10 years instead of buying more frequent product upgrades.

From an Engineering standpoint, this isn't that hard: its just some planning for backwards-compatibility to the now-existing dock design, which should have been designed with future growth in mind.

-hh

1macker1

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2003
A Higher Level
I'm still going to get the 10G iPod for myself reguardless of the new 'mini' iPod. But it would be great to be able to give someone a iPod as a gift, but the current prices 299 and up, I won't do it.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
Looks like this idea is out the window now, since they are reporting that this new harddrive will not be in full production until 2005.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by spencecb
Looks like this idea is out the window now, since they are reporting that this new harddrive will not be in full production until 2005.

not really... that just means that particular drive won't be available until 2005.

they could be using another drive.

arn

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
You know, the more I think about it, the more another idea occurs to me. It really bothers me that there isn't one single blessed car stereo that will let you dock your iPod directly into the stereo and let you use your stereo controls to enjoy your iPod in the car in an easy way free of standalone docking connectors, auxilary cords, tape adaptor cords, or crappy FM broadcasters.

I just can't understand why not even one car stereo manufacturer hasn't made this yet.

Well maybe the problem is with the iPod. Maybe the smaller iPod will have a more dock-friendly form factor and will be designed with a line of car stereos (not by apple, of course, but by a reputable car stereo manufacturer) in mind. Just a thought.

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
Several points.

Apple is continually making and evaluating prototypes. Just because someone saw a handful of iPod variations and heard some of the discussions related to that doesn't mean that a new product is imminent.

Regarding an earlier post, from their analyst call-ins I recall that Apple sells on the order of 350,000 iPods a quarter. If they did really well they might sell 500,000 this current quarter.

Flash memory is still too expensive although a year or two down the road a 10GB Flash iPod might be possible. On the other hand, you have to think where HD technology will be in at that time. Unless Flash memory can be cheaper and faster and use less power then it won't make it.

Anyway, we'll know more in 22 days.

powerbookje

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2003
Belgium
Blaupunkt has a "mp3" device based on IBM's microdrive already. I Connect the ipod dock in my car to my car stereo, it's perfect that way, don't want the ipod "in" the stereo...

machinehien

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
houston
Besides, I want to minimize my labor of typing title/artist/album info when importing the song into iTunes anyway

um, if you are hooked up to the internet, CDDB should fill in all that info for you when you import. I know there's errors in a lot of albums but I figure it does 95% of the work of hand entering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.