Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renzatic

Suspended
indeed, you did!
that is very nicely rendered

That's hardly a render. It's a basic as can be AO/Color bake combined together then overlaid with a parchment texture to give it a papery look. Nothing fancy about it whatsoever.

BUT...

For the first time ever, I decided to properly light a scene and render it out to see how it looked. Surprisingly, my maiden voyage it turned out pretty alright.

Catacombs_Lit.png

Hardly photorealistic, but the scene itself isn't exactly realistic, either. I'm still trying to figure out how to make the water look more watery, and throw some dust motes into the light shaft. Oh, and I'd love to know how to make surface materials emit light, rather than just glow.

----------

Dammit you're 3D is always so good! Glad to see you back!

Glad to be here! :D

I miss doing this stuff. I've been saying it for awhile now, but I need to really start buckling down and get to learning it deeply, rather than treating it all as an on again-off again hobby.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's really more of a 2.5D card for somebody with whom I've found myself rather taken:

2point5.gif

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
I started painting wear and tear on the frog.

I started painting wear and tear on the frog. I like to overdo it at first then peel it back. I feel the results are more genuine that way. (Click for larger).

isrxOEE.png

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Also made a few years ago (I was too new to the node editor to get shadows through):

Renzatic

Suspended
That is pretty damn cool, Danger. Out of curiosity, what program are you using?

And Chrono, I've been getting into painting my models slowly, and I'm wondering, if I'm working with real time level 3D, are there any real advantages to using Mari over Modo or Blender, both of which have a pretty decent set of painting tools already onboard?

Also, how many kidneys did you have to sell to afford both Modo and Mari? That's $3500 worth of software combined, which I think is, like, what one kidney is going for on the open market these days, right?

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
That is pretty damn cool, Danger. Out of curiosity, what program are you using?

And Chrono, I've been getting into painting my models slowly, and I'm wondering, if I'm working with real time level 3D, are there any real advantages to using Mari over Modo or Blender, both of which have a pretty decent set of painting tools already onboard?

Also, how many kidneys did you have to sell to afford both Modo and Mari? That's $3500 worth of software combined, which I think is, like, what one kidney is going for on the open market these days, right?

I would say if you're painting using real time assets look at Substance Painter. Its only $100 now since its in beta (but beta will end soon, its on release 11). You can buy it from Steam or from Allegorithmics site. It's the next best thing to Mari out there!

As for affording it I got a huuuuge deal. Since I already owned Modo I could upgrade to a collective for $1200 which not only netted me the upgrade of Modo (which I was planning on getting anyway) but also got me Mari for only $700 more!.

I'm now on a collective license which is a bit more restrictive (you can only run on one computer at a time unless you're rendering) but thats perfectly fine for me.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Also from about four years ago:

After this, the amount of 3D work I did sharply dropped off. :eek:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Oh, wow, I just found a couple of pieces that I forgot about. This one combines 3D modeling and social commentary… and it's barely adequate in either.

Selfless:
YcnjyVP.png

Then you're just going to have to get cracking at it again ;)

You know, I just might…

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
This is my recent attempt at a Film Noir look. I created this in DAZ3D

Attachments

• noir.jpg
    noir.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 359

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Jeez, this thread needs more posts. This is from a couple of years ago; the mountains were… erm, sculpted (I'm hesitant about using that word to describe the helter-skelter manner in which I proportionally scaled various bumps on a plane) in Blender:

minimal_mountains_wallpaper_for_iphone_5s_by_barrieau-d5tv7nx.png

phobos

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
Awesome thread!!
Here's my contribution.
Some really old stuff some newer stuff thrown in!
Made with Cinema 4D.

Attachments

• TheDude.jpg
    TheDude.jpg
    578.4 KB · Views: 310
  • robot.png
    robot.png
    773.6 KB · Views: 404
  • Can.jpg
    Can.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 338
  • grass.jpg
    grass.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 353
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.