Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

handsome pete

macrumors 68000
Aug 15, 2008
Just saw this thread and there's some good stuff going on here. Here's something I whipped up last week as an example for an intro CG class I'm teaching. It was mostly done for the modeling side of things, so I haven't had any time to work out the kinks on the materials, since some of those need work.

Attachments

• camera.jpg
    camera.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 381

farkleboy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2015
Wow, there are some fantastic renders going on here. I'm big into figuring out metals right now, lots of the CAD's I'm converting via Okino NuGraf and importing into C4D are metal meters and pipe type objects.

I realized that I'm paying a lot more attention to stuff out in the real world, as I'm looking for clues as to what makes a metal look like a metal. Its tricky! Even to the point of taking lots of photos with my phone so i can reference them later.

I wish I had the time to work on some personal projects, there are so many things I'd love to explore, but with work and family obligations, there is little time left to experiment. I tried to get into the "one a day" renders, then it moved to "one a week", then to "one a month". I am now on the "one a year" plan, and I think i can make that work :)

I recently found KeyShot Pro, which is similar to bunkspeed. I really like the speed of the renders, and would totally use it in my workflow since they updated it to have compatibility with C4D, but at $3500 for the package I'd need its a bit rich for my blood. So, back to C4D and materials tweaking.

Here are a couple of my latest, but not the greatest.
Screen Shot 2015-03-24 at 10.21.53 AM.png

644Temp_0001.png

3051HT_0013.jpg

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I've been goofing around with Modo again after so many months away. I recently came across some examples of low poly 3D artwork, and thought "I could do that"...

...so I did.

Low_Poly_Catacombs_Render_2.jpg

Low_Poly_Catacombs_Render_1.jpg

Some WIP stuff

Low_Poly_Graveyard_Assets.png

It's not quite as low poly as some of the googled examples above, but the style is similar.
I don't know much about 3D modeling, but it looks like you could easily make a role playing game out of that. Kinda reminds me of Myst or Riven.

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Messing with Bryce tree lab...

I 'grew' the tree on the right from the one on the left... took an hour and three quarters to render on my steam mac!

trees.jpg

Reactions: needfx

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Apparently a new film is on the way... still a work in progress... my render - not the film...heh.

Attachments

• deathstar.jpg
    deathstar.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 522
Last edited:

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
Have they got Bryce working on Yosemite? Last I tried it crashed on recent OS X. Cararra had the same issue, but they eventually patched it - then they wanted to charge for the upgrade and I said no.

I hope so! I'm migrating to yosemite this week... If Bryce doesn't work on it I'll be gutted!

Edit: Just looked on the DAZ discussion board.... not looking good.

Last edited:

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I thought we could use a break from this high fidelity stuff, so here are some mediocre, topical GIFs. The first is a prediction of how one-handed use of the iPad Pro, as depicted in this promo photo, will end:

Drop-Pro.gif

The next is what I imagine that double-looped Watch band will do to its unsuspecting owners:

hmm.gif

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
I'm coming from 3DS Max for many years, but after watching these tutorials on Lynda, I am moving to Maya
You definitely cannot go wrong with Maya. I like Blender, mostly because it is made by artists for artists and its open source. Check out what you can do with Blender:

bhtwo

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2012
Oxford UK
No one's 3d-ing...

Earth viewed from Envisat... Earth map is from NASA Blue Marble January - Tiff converted to dds.
Envisat is at an ideal altitude for some fine earth viewing... real time animation rendered in Celestia.

earthjan16k.png

farkleboy

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2015
Been doing the almost everyday renders in C4D, nothing impressive to show yet. This one I finished in just under an hour yesterday. Modeled everything but the book. I turn make pens as a hobby, so this one was sitting on my desk when I was racking my brain for ideas for my render for the day. Not too horrible for an hour. Wood texture needs some love, but considering I spent most of my time modeling the pen.

Attachments

• Day 009 1-19-2016.png
    Day 009 1-19-2016.png
    790.6 KB · Views: 345
Reactions: bhtwo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.