Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tanegashima

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Portugal
Oh boy, where was there bias in the video? All objective. Your looking for something that isn't there.

Or do you just feel threatened because apple isn't the only company that competes in the mobile market?

All their videos are made to reach the same conclusion: Apple sucks, android rules, google is awesome.

If you want to believe that, ok.

I call this BS, as the iPhone's mass production hasn't even started yet.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
So basically Apple have found a sweet spot between scratch resistance and "brittleness" using a sapphire based compound that is better than the best material produced by a company dedicated to making this kind of thing.

Go Apple!

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Don't get me wrong, if I thought this was needed I would want it, but if one has to attack one's phone with sandpaper to make scratches on the screen then surely it is an expensive overkill, he proved that keys would not scratch the current iPhones screen so I would assume that would include coins as well, these being the two main offenders to potential damage to ones phone in a pocket.

If there are other properties that sapphire will bring such as touch response or clarity then I will stand corrected, but TBH on both these points the iPhone IMHO is superb and the benefits and differences would be so minor as to be relatively unnoticeable.

Keep the current screen and spend the extra money to make the iPhone water resistant to some extent, IMHO that would bring a greater degree of benefit.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Don't get me wrong, if I thought this was needed I would want it, but if one has to attack one's phone with sandpaper to make scratches on the screen then surely it is an expensive overkill, he proved that keys would not scratch the current iPhones screen so I would assume that would include coins as well, these being the two main offenders to potential damage to ones phone in a pocket.

If there are other properties that sapphire will bring such as touch response or clarity then I will stand corrected, but TBH on both these points the iPhone IMHO is superb and the benefits and differences would be so minor as to be relatively unnoticeable.

Keep the current screen and spend the extra money to make the iPhone water resistant to some extent, IMHO that would bring a greater degree of benefit.

I agree to a certain extent but current screens still scratch, so something must be doing it. The more scratch resistant the better IMO.

I'm sure water resistance will be the iPhone 7's new feature, as we all know how Apple like to (if you'll excuse the pun) drip feed us features.

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
This becomes an issue if you get sand in your pocket, as that is mostly made of Quartz (7 on mohs scale — see first sandpaper test).

That's not going to be a problem, because the iPhone is not going to fit in the pocket anyway.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I agree to a certain extent but current screens still scratch, so something must be doing it. The more scratch resistant the better IMO.

Thinking about it, you have a very valid point, there must be something that does scratch one's screen, grit in the pocket perhaps? I must admit that as far as I know I have never suffered scratches on the iPhones that I have owned, it could be that my 57 year old eyes do not pick them out (A very good possibility TBH).

What I will say is, that if asked what in my opinion was the iPhones biggest flaw, scratch resistance on the screen would not be near the top of faults that I would want to be addressed. I think the iPhone would be nigh on perfect if the water resistance was tackled first, the rest, IMHO is the icing on the cake of a superb phone. :)

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
WHAT! Scratched up a perfectly good iPhone 5s for a YouTube video? Damn, Google must pay some decent cash to run a youtube channel.

I wish this iPhone 6 would hurry up and get released so I can start hanging out for the iPhone 6s (or will that be the iPhone Air S).

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
How is it gimmicky when Apple hasn't said a word about it yet?

This is being presented as a sapphire display for the next iPhone. Whether or not it is actually used in the next iPhone, it was pretty clear that the panel shown in the video had little benefit over Gorilla Glass 3. If this is indeed sapphire-infused or whatever, the entire "sapphire" selling point would be a gimmick.

Because android fanboys would sell their mom for a reason to complain about something by Apple.

Please elaborate on how I am an Android fanboy. :rolleyes:

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Hey,, he stole my wallpaper.

Don't i know that guy from somewhere... :D

Why didn't i think of that..

WHy would Apple even price the iPhone 6 at the same price if it was sapphire anyway ?

It would be way more than that.... And the fact that it will be affordable means its clearly not sapphire..

And i fell almost fell for it ..... (oh well..)

The last part of that video DID reminded me of watching "Myth busters" .... though..

I got a good chuckle for my day :)

miserotia

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2014
Again glass?

Again with these glass news? For most people this sapphire glass will mean nothing.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
All their videos are made to reach the same conclusion: Apple sucks, android rules, google is awesome.

I call this BS, as the iPhone's mass production hasn't even started yet.

Are you for real? How was that video saying "Apple sucks, android rules, google is awesome?"

We must've been watching two completely different videos because what I saw was a video showing how the iPhone 6 screen is an improvement over the iPhone 5s screen. There was no mention of Android or Google.

ArmCortexA8

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
Terra Australis
For those complain of scratches, what in the hell do you do with you phones? I've never had a single scratch on any phone screen in my life, including my current iPhone 5. People must be abusing these phones, and those people should be abused as well (verbally). What happened to common sense, plus Gorilla Glass is on the iPhone 5.

People pay a small fortune for these phones and don't have the common sense and / or ability to look after these devices. A lot of pressure / height is required to break a Gorilla Glass screen - so what are people doing to these phones?

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Remember, it is on YouTube, and if he gets paid by Google, that's why it had to be destroyed, to spread the anti-Apple propaganda.

Is this true? Lolz, I need to think up some crazy prank to do with an iPhone 6 then. Show me the money!

----------

For those complain of scratches, what in the hell do you do with you phones? I've never had a single scratch on any phone screen in my life, including my current iPhone 5. People must be abusing these phones, and those people should be abused as well (verbally). What happened to common sense, plus Gorilla Glass is on the iPhone 5.

People pay a small fortune for these phones and don't have the common sense and / or ability to look after these devices. A lot of pressure / height is required to break a Gorilla Glass screen - so what are people doing to these phones?

You keeping your phone in your pocket? Or you got one of those cases that also covers the screen? I think I'm careful with my phone but it's still got scratches, but hey, it's a daily use item and won't remain perfect forever.

Apple Rules!

----------

That's not going to be a problem, because the iPhone is not going to fit in the pocket anyway.

Remember the guy that was complaining the iPad Mini wouldn't fit into the pockets of his Burberry Jacket? He was going to go Android in protest. Many lolz were had.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
Remember, it is on YouTube, and if he gets paid by Google, that's why it had to be destroyed, to spread the anti-Apple propaganda.

I thought his test quite fair, he proved that the new glass was more resistant to scratches than the current glass. (Glass that is currently used on Android phones) What were you watching?

SgtPepper12

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2011
Germany
1. Find physics 101 student
2. Light source
3. Measure angle
4. Have student calculate index of refraction

Takes one minute then you know for certain.

sheesh
It's not that easy. The panel is plane, so there is no "angle" to measure. To measure the index of refraction you'd need something like an interferometer or a refractometer (duh). That stuff is expensive. Also if this is a composite material, you wouldn't be able to measure the index of refraction of sapphire, but rather just some superposition of the different indices of the materials used, and that is not particularly useful.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
What I will say is, that if asked what in my opinion was the iPhones biggest flaw, scratch resistance on the screen would not be near the top of faults that I would want to be addressed. I think the iPhone would be nigh on perfect if the water resistance was tackled first, the rest, IMHO is the icing on the cake of a superb phone. :)

True - I'm sure that will hit in the future at some point. What I'm really interested in is the drop tests, which can't really be done until a retail unit is released. If this new material is more shatter proof than gorilla glass then they're really onto a winner!

The three things we've mentioned I'd put in this order of importance

Shatter resistance > Water resistance > Scratch resistance

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
True - I'm sure that will hit in the future at some point. What I'm really interested in is the drop tests, which can't really be done until a retail unit is released. If this new material is more shatter proof than gorilla glass then they're really onto a winner!

The three things we've mentioned I'd put in this order of importance

Shatter resistance > Water resistance > Scratch resistance

Scratch resistance > Water resistance > Shatter resistance

I've dropped my iPhones several times, never shattered.
I would like to use the phone in rain for position tracking and measuring pulse.
Screen protector is the only thing I use, I get scratches without, one thing is wear on the device, but not having a clear screen sucks.

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
Or, more likely, that isn't an actual front panel from the production line.

Actually that's more unlikely. I'm 99% confident this is the real panel. Sonny Dickson has an immaculate record. Plus it's not easy to produce sapphire panel easily. More that likely this is the real deal.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Did everyone watch the video to the very end, where they take an arrow and shoot it right through the purported iPhone 6 screen? It shatters into a hundred pieces in slo-mo. After all this incessant speculating about sapphire, that was strangely satisfying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.