Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I will wait for a propper test, with a production iphone 6, that's not made by an android fanboy that's being paid by google. :rolleyes:

Wait for the bold face lie that Apple will say during the keynote. "The main display is made from the same sapphire glass that is found on the home button."
I doubt they will say it's harder than regular glass but softer than sapphire. It may have sapphire in it but it does not have the same properties of sapphire. It's basically a cheap imitation. Which is fine but don't mislead the public with the word sapphire.

discounteggroll

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2006
Greenwich, CT
all things aside, I actually liked how this guy does his reviews. The way he composes the facts, his findings and thoughts is well presented and to the point. Whether or not the components he used are what will go retail is another question

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Again with these glass news? For most people this sapphire glass will mean nothing.

But Apple will somehow call it "sapphire" as a selling point. Didn't they push sapphire for the home button and camera cover? I except the same for the display. All they did was create a hybrid display that still scratches; it just makes a different sound.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
It's not that easy.

It is that easy. Sigh. This is why China is kicking us across the room. Probably any Chinese HS student could do it too but in America we need special equipment?!? lol.

In fact you don't even need a number. Just compare it to a iP5 GG pane and see if it refracts more. Use a freaking flashlight and a pencil! This is basic stuff.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
I will wait for a propper test, with a production iphone 6, that's not made by an android fanboy that's being paid by google. :rolleyes:

While you are at it, would you mind picking up a dictionary as well our kid..

----------

But Apple will somehow call it "sapphire" as a selling point. Didn't they push sapphire for the home button and camera cover? I except the same for the display. All they did was create a hybrid display that still scratches; it just makes a different sound.

Lets not forget. "Retina" is still marketed as a good phone screen.. Jeez.. Its not. Even 720p, it's cringing as to how far behind the curve Apple is these days.. When fanboys see the light which more and more are doing it's as if a light bulb has been switched on..

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
all things aside, I actually liked how this guy does his reviews. The way he composes the facts, his findings and thoughts is well presented and to the point. Whether or not the components he used are what will go retail is another question

pretty informative and thorough

railcon71

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2013
re: may not be sapphire

I don't see what the big deal is about a better front panel. I have a iPhone 5 and it is just like brand new front and back. I take care of it. Put it in a nice case when not in use, take it off my body when working around thing's, don't put it in my back pocket and clean it with my eye glass cleaning cloth, that's it! Still looks like new.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
The people claiming MKBHD is biased to Android is hilarious when he uses a Mac Pro as a desktop and other Apple products. He even stated in the first video about the display that he's excited to see other phone manufacturers adopt a display similar to this one in their phones because it's that good.

Why you think he's Android biased because he isn't brainwashed to believe that Apple is the holy grail of the tech world is beyond me, especially for posting a fair and non biased review...

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Lets not forget. "Retina" is still marketed as a good phone screen.. Jeez.. Its not. Even 720p, it's cringing as to how far behind the curve Apple is these days.. When fanboys see the light which more and more are doing it's as if a light bulb has been switched on..

"Retina" doesn't mean any specific resolution or PPI, it's dependent on what the device is an what the normal viewing distances are for that device. I agree with you that the resolution of the iPhone is behind the curve, but that's not to say it's not a great display. There are tonnes of other factors to consider aside resolution. If Apple can squeeze 1080p or thereabouts onto the iPhone 6 I think people would be happy with that.

Wait for the bold face lie that Apple will say during the keynote. "The main display is made from the same sapphire glass that is found on the home button."
I doubt they will say it's harder than regular glass but softer than sapphire. It may have sapphire in it but it does not have the same properties of sapphire. It's basically a cheap imitation. Which is fine but don't mislead the public with the word sapphire.

You're getting angry at something they haven't even said. Chill out, dude!

rish

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2006
London UK
Good test. Presenter was engaging and articulate and loved the fun part where the arrow is shot at the display taped to a dart board.

As for the display, seems pretty good and should cope with the day to day trouser pocket and handbag contents.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Thinking about it, you have a very valid point, there must be something that does scratch one's screen, grit in the pocket perhaps? I must admit that as far as I know I have never suffered scratches on the iPhones that I have owned, it could be that my 57 year old eyes do not pick them out (A very good possibility TBH).

What I will say is, that if asked what in my opinion was the iPhones biggest flaw, scratch resistance on the screen would not be near the top of faults that I would want to be addressed. I think the iPhone would be nigh on perfect if the water resistance was tackled first, the rest, IMHO is the icing on the cake of a superb phone. :)

Even using an Otterbox case (probably other cases too) scratches the iphone. Stuff gets in there and starts rubbing away, especially when on works in a dusty environment.

Takes a long time, but it does scratch the phone. Even regularly opening the case to wipe it clean doesn't help.

Shinma

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
It is that easy. Sigh. This is why China is kicking us across the room. Probably any Chinese HS student could do it too but in America we need special equipment?!? lol.

In fact you don't even need a number. Just compare it to a iP5 GG pane and see if it refracts more. Use a freaking flashlight and a pencil! This is basic stuff.

Sounds like you need to go back and take your class again. Light bends at one angle within the substrate and back to the original angle on the other side. You will have no change in angle on the output from going through a plane. You will only have a slight dislocation that you would have to have a high precision set up and highly collimated light to measure. You are speaking out of ignorance. An easier way to tell would be to look at percentage of back reflections, especially with angle, but this tells you nothing if it a layered or composite material. If it is a stack of pure layers, and you have a $50K+ n&k measuring tool, you might have a chance at doing this without so much effort.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
So since it seems to be only a little bit harder I'm going to guess it might be a newer version of Gorilla Glass.

Out of curiosity is there a already known version of GG that the 5S isn't using?

That's what I thought when I first saw the video a couple of weeks ago. The makers of gorilla glass will always be trying to make something better, so I think this could be gorilla glass 4.

bcc2k

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2013
There isn't much difference to GorillaGlas it's either the same GorillaGlas as in the 5S or a little bit better version.
I bet it has nothing to do with Sapphire at all :)

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
As noted in many sites, the display will most likely be glass with a sapphire outer layer. Think of it as a factory installed screen protector. So, flexibility and shatter resistance will not be realized.
Either way, I'm stoked to have a better scratch resistant display. Now if Apple could only find a way to make the entire phone more scratch resistant...

What?

Did you not watch the video. That's no screen protector.

Shinma

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2014
As noted in many sites, the display will most likely be glass with a sapphire outer layer. Think of it as a factory installed screen protector. So, flexibility and shatter resistance will not be realized.
Either way, I'm stoked to have a better scratch resistant display. Now if Apple could only find a way to make the entire phone more scratch resistant...

The only problem with this is that, if the outer layer is pure sapphire, it still shouldn't scratch any easier than if the entire substrate is sapphire. I really do not have a good explanation for what I'm seeing in the tests. I'm like you though, in the end, I guess it shouldn't matter that much. If it resist scratching by quartz, 95% of battle is done. There is so much less corundum is most people's soil that scratching from dirt is much less of an issue than before.

Pewpewpew

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2012
No sapphire in that new display.

Gorilla glass is 6.8 and that first sand paper is 7 so the new screen can't be any better than iPhone 5s

ElCharro

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2014

You seem to be ignoring the fact that it takes a lot more effort to scratch the screen in the video than the screen on the 5s. So whether it's sapphire laminate, G.Glass 4 or nitrocellulose lacquer, it's still a step up from the current screens on iPhones.

And I'm sure most sensible people would agree that getting pissy because you claim Apple is going to mislead the public (when in fact there has been no official word whatsoever on future iPhones), is somewhat ridiculous. If it does turn out to be some kind of sapphire laminate which increases scratch resistance, should we be up in arms if Apple mention that it is constructed using sapphire?

Some folks just want to be offended I guess.

Last edited:

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Sapphire, not sapphire, its sapphire, its not sapphire, its definitely sapphire, its definitely not sapphire.....

I think ill just wait until Apple tells us in September!

Last edited:

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh give me a break..... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Some random bloke on a random You Tube channel apparently obtains what must be through illegal means an apparent part of the yet to be ANNOUNCED iPhone, and claims it isn't sapphire glass... because sandpaper scratches it, and Mac Rumors runs with the story. [insert facepalm]

Seriously, considering how much Apple has apparently invested into sapphire glass manufacturing, according to this site, I think it's safe to say the iPhone glass is Sapphire, but it is also not the normal sapphire glass considering how much it bends, it's been interlaced with other things or made differently.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Sounds like you need to go back and take your class again. Light bends at one angle within the substrate and back to the original angle on the other side. You will have no change in angle on the output from going through a plane. You will only have a slight dislocation that you would have to have a high precision set up and highly collimated light to measure. You are speaking out of ignorance. An easier way to tell would be to look at percentage of back reflections, especially with angle, but this tells you nothing if it a layered or composite material. If it is a stack of pure layers, and you have a $50K+ n&k measuring tool, you might have a chance at doing this without so much effort.

Use a laser pointer and a VERY shallow angle of incidence, then draw the line. Longer line? Then more refraction than GG.

If you measure it, then there's a nice calculator here:

http://refractiveindex.info/?shelf=main&book=Al2O3&page=Malitson

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
WHAT! Scratched up a perfectly good iPhone 5s for a YouTube video? Damn, Google must pay some decent cash to run a youtube channel.

I wish this iPhone 6 would hurry up and get released so I can start hanging out for the iPhone 6s (or will that be the iPhone Air S).

His previous video received 5 million+ views. That's enough ad revenue to buy more than a couple iPhones.

That's not counting the millions of other views he receives daily.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh, and yes this Markus guy gets paid a lot from You Tube, I mean he has an 8 core new Mac Pro fully maxed out, dual 4K monitors I believe, he even has a RED camera! Who the hell buys a RED camera to make You Tube videos?

And I think he is still in school...... so I would suspect he gets sponsored and paid by the manufacturers for his reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.