Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
Now that the case sizes AND screen sized have changed, I think it may be time for me to downsize to the 40mm. I have the 42mm now and it's just slightly too large on my wrist, so the 40mm could be perfect. I also would be getting a bigger screen size even with the smaller case. See here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Still not sure though and curious to know what others think about the new sizes.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I hear you. My hesitation would be over the bands. I don't believe that S0/2/3 42mm bands will fit the new 40mm, though I could be wrong about that. I have a pretty extensive collection, so dropping to the 40mm would be tough.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I hear you. My hesitation would be over the bands. I don't believe that S0/2/3 42mm bands will fit the new 40mm, though I could be wrong about that. I have a pretty extensive collection, so dropping to the 40mm would be tough.

Ah, ya that would definitely make the decision more difficult. I only have the sport band it came with so it's a non-issue for me. From what I understand 42mm bands will fit 44mm, and 38mm will fit 40mm.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA

This is the question that hasn't been answered (or I've missed). Do 42mm bands now fit the 44mm case and 38mm bands now fit the 40mm case? That's a logical assumption, I suppose, but I can see a number of people who - like the OP - who wish to downsize from 42mm to 40mm but can't given an incompatible collection of bands. Am I missing something?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
This is the question that hasn't been answered (or I've missed). Do 42mm bands now fit the 44mm case and 38mm bands now fit the 40mm case? That's a logical assumption, I suppose, but I can see a number of people who - like the OP - who wish to downsize from 42mm to 40mm but can't given an incompatible collection of bands. Am I missing something?

Indications are that 42s fit the 44, and 38s fit the 40. Words like "respectively" being used.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
From Apple.com ...

upload_2018-9-12_16-2-55.png

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I’m confused.. so the 44 is physically bigger than the previous 40? I thought it was just the screen... that seems pretty big.

Yes, Apple measures the watches vertically, so 44mm will be 2mm taller than the previous 42mm.

Reactions: Neodym

dieselm

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
The Apple store app on iPhone will show you an outline of the watch at “Actual size”. The 44mm is notably bigger than the 42mm.

Now that the case sizes AND screen sized have changed, I think it may be time for me to downsize to the 40mm. I have the 42mm now and it's just slightly too large on my wrist, so the 40mm could be perfect. I also would be getting a bigger screen size even with the smaller case. See here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Still not sure though and curious to know what others think about the new sizes.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I’m getting the 44mm SS.

That's the thing though... the screen isn't getting smaller. Even the smaller 40mm version has a larger screen than the previous 42mm. You're getting a bigger screen either way, just depends how big you want to go.
Yes, but there is such a thing as UI points. This determines how large the text and other UI elements are. If the Watch is just fitting “more stuff” onto the display, then the text on a 40mm will indeed be smaller than a 42mm Watch, which is not good for those who have poor vision. Does that make sense? If the 40mm has the same UI point scale as the 38mm, then the text will be the same size in the real world scale. Right now this is unclear. I’d love for someone to clear this up if they’ve found developer documentation on this. It’s possible everything could be slightly scaled up like the iPhone X, which was about 7% larger if I remember right, but even with a small scale up it might not make it to 42mm scale. We’ll see.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Wait, are the current 42mm watch bands going to be compatible with the new Series 44mm Series 4 Apple Watch? how's that possible?

Smoovejayy

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
Wait, are the current 42mm watch bands going to be compatible with the new Series 44mm Series 4 Apple Watch? how's that possible?
Yes. The new watches are vertically taller, not wider. Apple said the old watch bands will be compatible: 38/40 and 42/44.

Reactions: artfossil

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
I’m getting the 44mm SS.

Yes, but there is such a thing as UI points. This determines how large the text and other UI elements are. If the Watch is just fitting “more stuff” onto the display, then the text on a 40mm will indeed be smaller than a 42mm Watch, which is not good for those who have poor vision. Does that make sense? If the 40mm has the same UI point scale as the 38mm, then the text will be the same size in the real world scale. Right now this is unclear. I’d love for someone to clear this up if they’ve found developer documentation on this. It’s possible everything could be slightly scaled up like the iPhone X, which was about 7% larger if I remember right, but even with a small scale up it might not make it to 42mm scale. We’ll see.

That’s a good point that I didn’t consider. I think I’ll start with the 40mm and if it doesn’t work out I’ll get the 44mm.

Reactions: macduke
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.