Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have a 42mm Stainless Series 0 that still works fine, but I knew I would be getting a 44mm Stainless Series 4 both to be able to run Watch OS 5 and for the additional health features. I was planning a Black Stainless, but now I am going to go with the Gold because in addition to the included Milanese Loop, I have a darker blue Leather Loop that should look good with the gold, as well.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
I'm looking at the 40mm Reason is I have a SS Milan strap for a 38mm so since the strap will fit the new 40 I'm good to go. I'm bummed I can't get SS in a GPS only but the price jump is too high.

Reactions: puckhead193

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
For those choosing the 40, down from the 42, because you get a bigger screen in a smaller body, I'd note that functionally the screens are practically the same size. The screen area on the 40 is only about 2.5% larger than that of the 42. Yes, it'll be more pixel dense and thus able to show more info. But in terms of actual size...not that much different.

The main reason I’m getting the watch is to ditch the arm strap and just leave the phone at home when I exercise.

I want the largest watch because my height is over four standard deviations from the mean and the smaller one would probably look borderline ridiculous on me.

In all my years on this planet I've never before seen someone quote their height in this manner. Nicely done.

Baldrake

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
Great White North
Now that the case sizes AND screen sized have changed, I think it may be time for me to downsize to the 40mm. I have the 42mm now and it's just slightly too large on my wrist, so the 40mm could be perfect. I also would be getting a bigger screen size even with the smaller case. See here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Still not sure though and curious to know what others think about the new sizes.
Interesting question. I found in the various "hands-on" videos from yesterday's event that the 44mm looked a bit big on some presenters' wrists. I think more slender men might well find that the 40mm is a better fit.

Deguello

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2008
Texas
In all my years on this planet I've never before seen someone quote their height in this manner. Nicely done.
Im glad you liked it. I like to add a veneer of mathiness to it sometimes. I believe four standard deviations covers 99.9979% of a normal distribution. And I’m definitely going for the 44.

Reactions: Dezlboy

Pseudo-Fed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2017
44 LTE Stainless/white sport band for me. I have S2SS and S3SBSS now. As a guy who wears 47mm or 51mm Garmin watches mostly I'm glad for the bigger AW. And just 6.75" wrist here.....

AstroDrew

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2015
Bay Area
Getting the 44mm. I have worn the original AW, but revisiting and try it again with series 4. While it has gotten big the AW$ is thinner. isn't it? Anyway i'll try the 44mm and if doesn't work out I can always exchange for a 40mm.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Now that the case sizes AND screen sized have changed, I think it may be time for me to downsize to the 40mm. I have the 42mm now and it's just slightly too large on my wrist, so the 40mm could be perfect. I also would be getting a bigger screen size even with the smaller case. See here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Still not sure though and curious to know what others think about the new sizes.
How about a poll

Jay-Jacob

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2015
England
I plan get 38mm before event and will get 40mm. I tried both my friend 38mm and 42mm. 38mm right size and 42mm taller than my wrist so it too big.

Btw anyone know what time pre-order Apple Watch UK? I remember pre-order iPhone 8 8am morning last year. It same again this year?

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
I plan get 38mm before event and will get 40mm. I tried both my friend 38mm and 42mm. 38mm right size and 42mm taller than my wrist so it too big.

Btw anyone know what time pre-order Apple Watch UK? I remember pre-order iPhone 8 8am morning last year. It same again this year?
Same again. 8:01

Reactions: Jay-Jacob

tcador

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
NYC
I was certain I wanted the smaller size, being I have smallish wrists, but after visiting the apple store today the 38mm seems tiny. I'm leaning towards 44mm now, but guess i'll be watching more videos in lead up to pre-order time. Ugh.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
I was certain I wanted the smaller size, being I have smallish wrists, but after visiting the apple store today the 38mm seems tiny. I'm leaning towards 44mm now, but guess i'll be watching more videos in lead up to pre-order time. Ugh.

It really is best to try them on in the store. In 2015 I went in having a hunch that the 38mm would be my preferred size, but I wanted to try them on because I figured it's best to get the biggest screen you can comfortably wear. I'm glad I went to the Apple Store. I tried on the 42mm size using a variety of band lengths and styles, but it just didn't feel right on my wrist. I suppose I have somewhat skinny wrists (or on the skinny side of average) compared to other men my size (5'9" and 195). I kept fiddling with the 42mm's position on my wrist, but whenever I put on the 38mm it just felt perfect and looked more of an appropriate scale for my wrist. I probably could have gotten used to the 42mm, but I went with my gut and don't regret it. The size difference between the two was more subtle than I expected.

I was a little concerned about visibility, but that hasn't been much of an issue. I wear progressive trifocals, which I suppose help. I don't have the text size at max or anything... right around the middle. The only time when I wish I had a larger display has been with certain complications on certain faces. It would be nice if small complications on faces like Simple and Color were a bit larger, and also nice if long complications on faces like Modular and Utility displayed a bit more info. Looks like the S4 will deliver on both of those wishes, even if I stick with the smaller 40mm.

So yeah... 90% sure it will be the 40mm for me, but I'm still going to try the 44mm on in the store. Just nothing like trying them on in person help you decide.

Reactions: Tork

Tonyyyperez

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
Blue Is series 3 . Red is series 4
1-058e52d8b4.jpg

Reactions: Roar7

Tonyyyperez

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2018
how about any photos of the 42mm vs the 40mm, not overlays
Sorry, unless some blogger had an Apple Watch on them and happen to take a photo with the new one, you might be out of luck. But all the major blog sites have posted their pictures and they don’t see to have one. Only one is the Apple one posted or this overlay one. It’s hard to compare products with in person visuals when the product isn’t released yet

Lilydgg

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Sorry, unless some blogger had an Apple Watch on them and happen to take a photo with the new one, you might be out of luck. But all the major blog sites have posted their pictures and they don’t see to have one. Only one is the Apple one posted or this overlay one. It’s hard to compare products with in person visuals when the product isn’t released yet
ive seen a few side by side of the 42mm and the 44mm and am hesitant to go any bigger. I found one persons video of them holding the 40mm but didn't hold it side by side to the 42mm they were wearing. oh well!

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
ive seen a few side by side of the 42mm and the 44mm and am hesitant to go any bigger. I found one persons video of them holding the 40mm but didn't hold it side by side to the 42mm they were wearing. oh well!
Go to 0:25 Mark you will see the two new sizes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roar7 and ivetteli

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
If you have an Apple Watch now
Get The Same size class old 38 is the new 40
Old 42 is the new 44
You will enjoy the larger screen real estate with a minimal case difference
I could get by with a 40 but my large wrist couldn’t

Reactions: Super Spartan
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.