Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

bobsamm

Suspended
Oct 6, 2019
Got a S5 44mm Nike yesterday. I could go bigger myself, would be good with the amount of info you can put on the screen now.

giggles

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Got S5 SSSB 40mm, fine for me, I mostly read notifications and stream audio to airpods so not sure what’s the point (other than battery life) to go with the bigger one for me. Smaller watches are classier plus when used in rough situations one can add an Otterbox/Rhinoshield case and still keep it pretty compact.

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
Was surprised to see this thread being added to! I contributed to it a while back, and I’m still loving my 40mm Space Grey S4.

I have 168mm wrists, and I’m 6”2.
40977746-D9B5-4318-9740-41E98C9F4C38.jpeg
39D63413-1147-41F0-B678-ACB6A913396A.jpeg

Reactions: Precursor

iFoure

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2010
My vote goes to the 40mm. Currently I have S2 (42mm) that I got in 2018. I wouldn't have gotten the 42 otherwise but a special offer was too good to pass (249€, about 282 US dollars) so I bought my very first Apple Watch in 42mm :) Now, I've been eying AW S4 offers as it's leaving the markets for good. Finally, I found my next watch: S4 Nike+ 40mm (SG with black sport loop). And the price is almost as good as last time: 314,90€ which makes about 356 US dollars. Although I'm downsizing, I know I will be more than happy with the 40mm 'cos already sometimes my 42mm feels a bit big (wrist is: left 145mm, right 150mm lol what?). Of course if the 44mm would have been priced like this, I've would have gotten it but surely complained how big it is lol X)

I guess my new AW motto is: "when there's a great offer, the size of the watch doesn't matter"

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I'm looking to finally upgrade from my first gen Apple Watch. I have a 42mm and I'm trying to to figure out how that compares to the newer models sized 40 and 44mm. Is it right that a 5th gen 40 mm has a slightly bigger screen than an older 42mm but the 40mm is overall 2mm shorter? I'm trying to decide without actually trying it on since I'll order online.

Gaven

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2011
After a long consideration, decided to go with the 40mm as the 44mm makes it feel like I am wearing a gadget, whilst the 40mm looks much like a watch on my wrist.

however, can anyone be kind to recommend a say 20mm width strap for the Apple Watch, I kinda think 22mm looks too thick.

Reactions: Precursor

bluecoast

macrumors 68020
Nov 7, 2017
The 5+ year debate goes on :)

For me, a few people here have hit the nail on the head where they’ve said that if you want to use your watch as an everyday gadget, the bigger watch is the way to go.

It has more space to display UI elements, bigger touch targets etc.

Whereas, if you want to use it primarily as a smart fitness watch, then the 40 inch case is probably more proportional & subtle for most.

However, even for regular date/time/moveable bezel mechanical dive watches, 44-46mm is pretty normal nowadays.

I would say that large watches have become more common, for two simple reasons:

That most people want to show off their possession.

And a larger watch face just looks better (although context is everything: a large watch face might look OTT on some people’s wrists).

They don’t need to be that large: the Rolex Submariner that Sean Connery wore in Dr No had a 36mm case.

So as always, there really is no wrong or right answer, there’s just a variety of factors - except I don’t think it’s helpful to say that the 40mm version is the one for women!

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The 5+ year debate goes on :)

For me, a few people here have hit the nail on the head where they’ve said that if you want to use your watch as an everyday gadget, the bigger watch is the way to go.

It has more space to display UI elements, bigger touch targets etc.

Whereas, if you want to use it primarily as a smart fitness watch, then the 40 inch case is probably more proportional & subtle for most.

However, even for regular date/time/moveable bezel mechanical dive watches, 44-46mm is pretty normal nowadays.

I would say that large watches have become more common, for two simple reasons:

That most people want to show off their possession.

And a larger watch face just looks better (although context is everything: a large watch face might look OTT on some people’s wrists).

They don’t need to be that large: the Rolex Submariner that Sean Connery wore in Dr No had a 36mm case.

So as always, there really is no wrong or right answer, there’s just a variety of factors - except I don’t think it’s helpful to say that the 40mm version is the one for women!

Indeed lol. It’s one of those debates that really shouldn’t be a debate as there is no right answer which is better. It depends on taste, size of wrist and general preference. I’m a bloke and the 44mm looks a bit silly on my wrist so I have now had 2 40mm AW’s. Some of my mates have 40mm’s and some have 44mm’s. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anybody away from Mac Rumours suggest either is better? I mean it’s one thing someone insisting their preference is the best but we’ve even got people here suggesting the size is gender specific!

Reactions: bluecoast

athletejmv

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2011
As much as I prefer the comfort and fit of the 40mm on a 7" wrist being 69" tall, the screen was much clearer on the 44mm with many of the background and reading stats while moving. I use the watch mostly for activity monitoring (running, weights, walks, boot camp, bike rides, etc), so needed the extra battery life over an arm ornament. 40mm is a nice option for mostly looking at time, but the 44mm is definitely a must when reading metrics, etc on the move or stationary.

As ancient as these posts are, they are fun to read through and VERY helpful. It was initially a challenge to decide which watch size would be suited better for my needs. I focused on functionality over aesthetics in the end for my usage case scenario.

Attachments

• IMG_1196.JPG
    IMG_1196.JPG
    434.9 KB · Views: 4,107

Joha Alvarado

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2020
I want to buy an Apple Watch but i want to know what size you recommend? My wrist size is 19 centimeters

MacTalkToMeWlFgThOut

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
Dayton, Ohio
Now that the case sizes AND screen sized have changed, I think it may be time for me to downsize to the 40mm. I have the 42mm now and it's just slightly too large on my wrist, so the 40mm could be perfect. I also would be getting a bigger screen size even with the smaller case. See here:

https://www.apple.com/watch/compare/

Still not sure though and curious to know what others think about the new sizes.
My wrist isn't too large. It's 6 3/4. I need to have a band that you can put in the correct hole for wrist size. The magnetic kind, I have always, kept loosening up, if your in any kind of movement activity. I have a good leather band that works extremly well. The smaller size would have been better, it is good for seeing, the 44.
[automerge]1594579685[/automerge]
Wirst about 17,5 cm
S4 40mm, steel with milanese band.
Looks ok?
b1669efc4b6a457c06c47a4b10e27fa7.jpg
Looks good. I have a Milanese. If I'm moving my arm around in a atletic activity it will loosen up, all you have to do is wash the milanese off and your good to go.

EknCn

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2020
This my my Apple Watch Series 4 44 mm vs series 5 40 mm video, it's Turkish but i think it will give you an idea. My wrist is 19 cm-> almost 7,4 inch

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
Hi guys,

I’m currently using a Series 3 Ceramic Edition, 42mm. I’ve got a chance of getting a nice deal on a Series 5 Ceramic 40mm. How has anybody coped going from an older 42mm to a newer 40mm??

My only real problem is that I’m using the Apple Stainless Steel space black link bracelet, 42/44mm. That won’t fit, will it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.