Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The rule of thumb I’ve found with watches over the years is if you can’t see a bit of your wrist and strap at either side of the top and bottom of the watch, it looks too big. Obviously it all depends on personal taste too, but I’ve seen pics on here where the screen is the same width as someone’s wrist and to them they love it but to me it looks awful.

There is no right answer to this and many will suggest a size like it correct for all or look down on the 40mm like it’s somehow an inferior choice. It’s the same watch lol

mgscheue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2018
Definitely agree with the two previous. I have some mechanical watches and I think watches look odd if you can’t see at least a bit of wrist. I know wrist pictures can sometimes be a bit misleading because they’re often taken close-up with a wider than normal lens and so can exaggerate the size, but I think the 40 mm will be good for me. We shall see. First Apple Watch so looking forward to it.

howywood

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2020
For anyone struggling still, the new solo loop solves everything. I went to the store to eye up my very first watch, and got sized to a 10 solo loop.

40mm is only available up to 9 solo loop.

44 is only available 10 and up solo loop.

The pictures on the thread can be really deceiving. I went in the store will full intentions to buy a 40mm, but it wasn’t even an option and I’m glad it wasn’t because the 44mm is perfect!

Reactions: andrew_07

pflau

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I wear a 40mm, but have ordered a 44mm this time, for two very distinct reasons. One, the new GMT face, which is a face based on the Rolex GMT, that pretty much demands a large display to look right. Two, with the always on display, the watch would look more like a real watch and less Dick Tracy like.

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
The rule of thumb I’ve found with watches over the years is if you can’t see a bit of your wrist and strap at either side of the top and bottom of the watch, it looks too big. Obviously it all depends on personal taste too, but I’ve seen pics on here where the screen is the same width as someone’s wrist and to them they love it but to me it looks awful.

There is no right answer to this and many will suggest a size like it correct for all or look down on the 40mm like it’s somehow an inferior choice. It’s the same watch lol
With the series 0, I had the larger size.

with series 4, I went small and got the 40.

looking back, I loved my series 0 in the larger face but can’t imagine that now.

I think both works, small and large but it’s just dependent on the person.

I almost want the face to be even smaller but realize for real estate purposes, it doesn’t make sense.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I wear a 40mm, but have ordered a 44mm this time, for two very distinct reasons. One, the new GMT face, which is a face based on the Rolex GMT, that pretty much demands a large display to look right. Two, with the always on display, the watch would look more like a real watch and less Dick Tracy like.

Interesting. One of the things that I like about the 40mm is that it's sized more like a real watch.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I bought a 44 mm series 6 watch yesterday, and isn’t it supposed to be brighter than the series 5, because it isn’t brighter than my series 4. My series 4 is brighter. Is there a way to adjust this on the series 6?

CanucksRock

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I orderded 40 with size 7, and 44 with size 6. Size 6 band fits, I think I like the 44 size. If I stick with the 44 I don't have to try and band swap because the 7 seemed too loose.(First apple watch - switching from Fitbit Charge 4). I tried the 40mm again, and I might prefer that ?‍♀️ hardwood background is 40. Tile background is 44.
99411510-B115-4F41-BC26-BB5332C7243F.jpeg
2CB2645C-FFC6-42C6-B99A-794D939DF2B9.jpeg

Last edited:

Pink2

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2020
I got the 44mm (blue alum) and I love the size. Even though I have small wrists. It is so easy to read and manipulate (like using the calculator)

CanucksRock

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
I decided to keep the 44. I talked to others that have one, and majority said go with 44 and I'll adjust to the size. I did read an article that based on my wrist size I'm in the Goldilocks zone where both 40 or 44 will work - no wonder I had so much trouble deciding.

mosesa

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
Can someone do a side by side comparison of a 42 and a 44 on your wrist? this pic is a 42 on my wrist. I ordered the 44, I hope I did not make a mistake. it didnt seem to me that 2mm was going to be that much bigger, but I dont know.

Attachments

• watch.jpg
    watch.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 445
Last edited:

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
44 Stainless graphite. I would wreck the aluminium and glass models (and have done) so I stick to sapphire and SS. My 44 series 4 SS is still pristine but I have moved to series 6 this year for the always on display (series 5 didn’t offer enough of an upgrade).

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Reactions: mosesa

mosesa

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
I found this image from a comparison review.

c9991d7e4cf1e85c6d085774817bce5e.jpg

Thank you. From that picture, it doesn't look like there is much difference. But the difference between 40 and 44 on that guys wrist was huge. I guess I'll just leave it alone and wait to see what its like. Thanks for the pic. if anyone else has comparisons, I would love to see some more actually being worn to compare.

mgscheue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2018
Another thing to consider is the shape of your wrist. Mine is 175 mm in circumference but the flat-ish area on top is only about 40 mm, which pushed me towards thinking I should get the smaller size. I still keep second-guessing myself, though. I’ll see soon enough, assuming my SE ever gets out of China.

Klschmann

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2020
Washington, DC
It's interesting seeing them side by side like that on a wrist - not only are they different sizes but the proportions between the two look different as well. The 40 looks a bit more square, the 44 a bit more rectangular.

I got my first Apple Watch last year around this time and honestly struggled with what size to go with. After trying them both on they both had plusses and minuses for me. I guess you could say I'm an in between size. Since I was moving on from a Fitbit Charge which was smaller and lighter (and a total POS) I went with the 40. A year later, I'm ready to move up to the 44 with my new watch and am expecting that to be perfect. I just need a little extra of what that size provides (real estate, battery, etc).

mgscheue

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2018
Geez.....so in the World of Apple in 2020 about $ 600 gets one a toy looking watch on a strap looking like it was made by a granny to sell at a craft fair.

I’m not sure how your opinion relates to the topic of this thread. Are you in the wrong place?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.