Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I’m tiny. Of course I’m going as small as Apple makes them! 38 mm is almost too big. I was a bit worried to hear the watches got stretched a bit this year.

AussieDSW

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
Anybody use their Apple Watch solely for running? How is the GPS and accuracy of the readings, etc.? And any comment on whether the 44ml size is too big for just running?

I'm considering Series 4 to replace an aging Garmin GPS watch. I'm not an iPhone user so it'd be solely for running and activities.

I am a runner (marathoner) and run with Apple Watch Series 3. GPS accuracy is great - I've run with Garmin and TomTom watches in the past. Only issue I have is heartrate monitor does tend to dropout, especially in colder weather when you sweat less. The Series 4 has a 2nd gen HR monitor, which I am hoping will fix this. Can't comment on size as I have small wrists and have a 38mm.

Reactions: epicrayban

vintagekeys

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2018
Hong Kong
Despite saying i go for 44mm i think i will fit them on my thin wrists when they are available in the Apple store.
Battery life etc will not be improved based on the battery test done in the past with the S3 models.

I hope slightly better LTE reception with the bigger ones but reviews/tests hopefully will show that to us soon.

I am a bit afraid 44m will be bigger than my entire wrist or just barely fit and then having the straps stick out making it look ugly when wearing it. A bigger screen is awesome though but if it dances around on my wrist because its too big than it the bigger screen will not be a pleasant daily wear experience.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Despite saying i go for 44mm i think i will fit them on my thin wrists when they are available in the Apple store.
Battery life etc will not be improved based on the battery test done in the past with the S3 models.

I hope slightly better LTE reception with the bigger ones but reviews/tests hopefully will show that to us soon.

I am a bit afraid 44m will be bigger than my entire wrist or just barely fit and then having the straps stick out making it look ugly when wearing it. A bigger screen is awesome though but if it dances around on my wrist because its too big than it the bigger screen will not be a pleasant daily wear experience.

Same here, which is why I ordered a 40mm. But I'll try a 44mm before the return period and will change if it fits.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I am a runner (marathoner) and run with Apple Watch Series 3. GPS accuracy is great - I've run with Garmin and TomTom watches in the past. Only issue I have is heartrate monitor does tend to dropout, especially in colder weather when you sweat less. The Series 4 has a 2nd gen HR monitor, which I am hoping will fix this. Can't comment on size as I have small wrists and have a 38mm.

Appreciate this.

I'll wait for reviews before pulling the trigger. The Garmin Forerunner 235 is significantly cheaper with pretty reliable GPS reviews, so I shall see...

mpagliaro

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
I'm so confused on what to do, obviously it will be clear once I try both on but I pre-ordered a 44mm as I have the 42mm 1st Gen right now and I find 42mm is the perfect size for my wrist (my wrist is probably on the smaller side) 38mm at the time felt way to small so the decision was clear but now with these new sizes its not as clear. I'm second guessing my orginal order now and thinking the 40mm will be the right fit based on putting up the sizes on the apple store app against my wrist but still hard to tell. Wish they just kept the 42mm size but expanded the screen out. Perhaps that means I should go 40mm since screen size is bigger than the original 42mm. Problem is now I'll have to wait until mid october since I have sept 21 ship date for my 44mm.oh well. any thoughts of pepole with the 42mm 1st gen right now, what did you order?

Last edited:

svgn

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2018
I'm so confused on what to do, obviously it will be clear once I try both on but I pre-ordered a 44mm as I have the 42mm 1st Gen right now and I find 42mm is the perfect size for my wrist (my wrist is probably on the smaller side) 38mm at the time felt way to small so the decision was clear but now with these new sizes its not as clear. I'm second guessing my orginal order now and thinking the 40mm will be the right fit based on putting up the sizes on the apple store app against my wrist but still hard to tell. Wish they just kept the 42mm size but expanded the screen out. Perhaps that means I should go 40mm since screen size is bigger than the original 42mm. Problem is now I'll have to wait until mid october since I have sept 21 ship date for my 44mm.oh well. any thoughts of pepole with the 42mm 1st gen right now, what did you order?
If the 38mm was too small for you, you should stick with the 44mm. The new watches aren't that much bigger.

Reactions: determined09

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
I'm torn on this. I've always had a 42mm but I have small wrists, wondering if 44 will be noticeably larger or not.

iExpLiziT

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2018
Houston, Texas
New here! But always loved the community of this site.

Anyways, Preordered at the ATT site and got the confirmation emails the next day(Sunday) showing delivery date 9/21.

From then unto now, it's still showing "In Progress"... Hopefully, it changes soon because Friday is Close!

mpagliaro

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
So after watching these two reviews from the Verge and Hodinkee, it dosen’t really look like the 44m is a huge difference from the 42mm and both look comfortable on these guys with similar build and arm size to myself, so feeling good now about the 44m! :)

Reactions: DLCinPSL

GeekishlyGreek

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2015
Greece
Karma, if you live near a Apple Store, go try one out to see if you like it. You have 14 days to return it. I mainly
use mine at work, don’t wear a watch at home.

I ordered the 40mm in space black stainless steel. Reason why is that the black matches all my jewelry.
The rose gold that I have now, clashes with my silver jewelry. Otherwise I would have ordered the gold SS.
Whoah, are the apple stores literally doing try before you buy now? (or did you just mean purchase as normal at full price, and try taking it back with the receipt?) -Not sure I would dare use the second option. Usually the 14 day policy only applies to products if they have not been opened or if there is a fault. (I very much doubt they would let me use it and just say I changed my mind). Though I could be wrong. Would definitely love a genuine try before you buy option though, so great idea!

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
Smaller one for me.

I bought the 42mm SS series 0 and sold it a month later, too big, too expensive, too useless.
Then bought a used SS 38mm series 2 for a much more reasonable price several months ago!
I hope to buy the 40mm SS series 4 version sometime in the future, but Im not going to be dropping $700 + tax on a watch... Id rather get 2 iPhone SEs and tape them to my wrists for that price :p

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Usually the 14 day policy only applies to products if they have not been opened or if there is a fault. (I very much doubt they would let me use it and just say I changed my mind).

Apple absolutely lets you utilize the device for 14 days and see if it is right for you.

Now the other side is that people exploit that to a degree but Apple's customer service is one of the best experiences I have ever dealt with. They dont even want to know why you are returning besides possibly getting you the actual device you preferred in the exchange.

Good luck

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Whoah, are the apple stores literally doing try before you buy now? (or did you just mean purchase as normal at full price, and try taking it back with the receipt?) -Not sure I would dare use the second option. Usually the 14 day policy only applies to products if they have not been opened or if there is a fault. (I very much doubt they would let me use it and just say I changed my mind). Though I could be wrong. Would definitely love a genuine try before you buy option though, so great idea!

No, you have to buy it first. If you don’t like it, you can return it.
Yes, some people exploit it, and keep returning their phones 5-6 times looking for the perfect screen. I am not one of those people. I have returned iPhones 2 times, but they really we’re exchanges.

seattlecard

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
I have larger wrists but prefer the watch smaller simply because it is lighter/smaller and more easy to forget it is on my wrist versus the 44mm. I really don't care what other think of the appearance on my wrist... functionality over fashion for me. I think the 40mm with the new larger screen is the perfect size for me personally.

karinatwork

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Unfortunately, my wrists are massive. But I just don't like the look of large watches, never did, never will (probably showing my age here). If the new 40 mm is only slightly larger than the old 42, then I'm definitively getting the 40 mm and not the 44, which in every hands-on video looks HUGE to me. Plus, all my bands fit. And I am NOT giving up my chocolate coloured band.

MagicTorch

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2007
UK
Definitely 40mm (wrists too small for 44mm). Currently own a Series 0 in SS & Series 2 Nike in Space Grey - size wise, they are perfect on me. Think I am gonna go with SBSS for Series 4

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
Hi to all, any male purchaser here to the new gold ss 44mm apple watch 4? I’m torn between the gold ss 44 and ss 44mm watch 4 and I’m a male watch user.

ectospheno

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
As an old person, I'm going with my phone rule of thumb which is that they can't ever be too large.

I'm on the small end of the spectrum for male wrist sizes and the 42 looks fine on me. Getting the 44.

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 18, 2003
After seeing the review videos I am more conflicted. My impression is that for me, the 40mm will be a better look and fit, but the 44mm has that great big screen! The 40mm will be more stylish, but the 44mm will be more satisfying as a tech nerd. Definitely need to try on both before making a final decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.