Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which Apple Watch S4 will you get?

• 40mm

Votes: 391 29.6%
  • 44mm

Votes: 932 70.4%

• Total voters

tobyringle69

macrumors regular
May 13, 2015
Hi to all, any male purchaser here to the new gold ss 44mm apple watch 4? I’m torn between the gold ss 44 and ss 44mm watch 4 and I’m a male watch user.
I purchased the 44mm Gold SS series 4. I currently have the 38 mm SS Series 0. I regretted the 38 mm size almost immediately. The larger watch always appears bigger in photos/videos than they do in person. Not making that mistake again.

Reactions: AppleChic76

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
Anyone else considering going from the 42mm to the 40mm watch? I worry that the 44mm might be too large.

Me. I’m considering to get the 40 ss but I’m not so sure because I have 42mm bands that will be useless if I do get the 40. I think the 40 is the sweet spot for 42 users that thinks their 42 is big in their wrists.
[doublepost=1537396356][/doublepost]And
I purchased the 44mm Gold SS series 4. I currently have the 38 mm SS Series 0. I regretted the 38 mm size almost immediately. The larger watch always appears bigger in photos/videos than they do in person. Not making that mistake again.

And you are a male right toby? I’m worried that If I get the 44 gold ss it will look like feminine to me.

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
Me. I’m considering to get the 40 ss but I’m not so sure because I have 42mm bands that will be useless if I do get the 40. I think the 40 is the sweet spot for 42 users that thinks their 42 is big in their wrists.
[doublepost=1537396356][/doublepost]And

And you are a male right toby? I’m worried that If I get the 44 gold ss it will look like feminine to me.
What are you worried about, the gold colour? you could try it, if you still feel the same, return it and get the silver or space gray? you have 14days as someone has already mentioned this above.

Been a male myself, be it gold or not, that never bothered me, but I have always had Space Gray iPhones, Watches and iPad... so the gold in my case would be out of place *not because it'll look feminine or not*

Reactions: Regbial

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
What are you worried about, the gold colour? you could try it, if you still feel the same, return it and get the silver or space gray? you have 14days as someone has already mentioned this above.

Been a male myself, be it gold or not, that never bothered me, but I have always had Space Gray iPhones, Watches and iPad... so the gold in my case would be out of place *not because it'll look feminine or not*

I’m worried because I’m buying the series 4 watch from a 3rd party reseller that charges restocking fee if the watch is returned not defective.

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
I’m worried because I’m buying the series 4 watch from a 3rd party reseller that charges restocking fee if the watch is returned not defective.
You would wait until it is released into stores, try it out, look at the colour while wearing it and decide, frankly getting it from a reseller that charges restocking fee is a rip off when you can directly order from apple at original price and decide what you like, why are you in a hurry if you can't make your mind?

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
You would wait until it is released into stores, try it out, look at the colour while wearing it and decide, frankly getting it from a reseller that charges restocking fee is a rip off when you can directly order from apple at original price and decide what you like, why are you in a hurry if you can't make your mind?
Oh its that impulse or urge to have latest from Apple every year. So hard to resist lol.

• Love
Reactions: ModusOperandi

rain111

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2012
UK
Oh its that impulse or urge to have latest from Apple every year. So hard to resist lol.
Yes I understand that, but if I were you *I am one of those always pre-order when its live and want the newest stuff from apple* and not sure what I want, i'd wait, I did this with the 1st apple watch (size and version), airpods and iphone 6 (size difference), so I waited once they were out and visited the apple store and made up my mind.

But I strongly recommend not getting your watch from a re-seller that will charge you more than apple would, its expansive as it is, unless you are raining money... well that is another story.

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
Yes I understand that, but if I were you *I am one of those always pre-order when its live and want the newest stuff from apple* and not sure what I want, i'd wait, I did this with the 1st apple watch (size and version), airpods and iphone 6 (size difference), so I waited once they were out and visited the apple store and made up my mind.

But I strongly recommend not getting your watch from a re-seller that will charge you more than apple would, its expansive as it is, unless you are raining money... well that is another story.
Thanks will visit the apple store first then decide from there.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
After seeing the review videos I am more conflicted. My impression is that for me, the 40mm will be a better look and fit, but the 44mm has that great big screen! The 40mm will be more stylish, but the 44mm will be more satisfying as a tech nerd. Definitely need to try on both before making a final decision.

haha, the same thing happened to me too.
but i think i will go with style over tech nerd. because the tech nerd will get used to it in a few days/weeks and the style will be lost for the whole year or longer ;)

Reactions: justinf77

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
Anyone else considering going from the 42mm to the 40mm watch? I worry that the 44mm might be too large.

Yes, thinking about it. My wrist is just large enough that I could get away with the 44mm, but 40mm probably would look a bit better. That said, I think people are growing accustomed to larger watches and the extra screen real-estate would be nice. Very torn right now.
[doublepost=1537454503][/doublepost]

I've seen one already and it doesn't. It's a warm, amber gold color that would be perfectly at home on a watch designed for men. I'm still not sure whether I'm going with that color, but it looks good.

Enasis

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2018
44mm gold aluminum. I wish I bought the stainless steel (it's soooo shiny), but that sticker price scared me away.

Reactions: AppleChic76

DJ88

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2007
Downtown Miami
Sorry about posting this here, but there isn't really a thread for color choice and this was the closest thing.

Has anyone had any experience with swapping out their watch for a different colored model in the store on pick up day?

I ordered a silver and am starting to wish I had gotten a space gray instead. Will they let me switch my color choice tomorrow? Or am I going to have to come back at a later date and do an exchange?

1sazim

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2014
I'm presently wearing the SS 42mm with a Milanese band and will be upgrading to the 40mm SS gold with Milanese.
The main reason I'm upgrading is because of the health apps. I started with the Series 0, preordered, in SS with Milanese band and have given that one to my husband. Not sure what's going to happen with my S3 SS with Milanese yet, but have no second thoughts on my new purchase.
I was all set to go to the 44mm , but my son pointed out that there is more 'real estate' on watch face of the 40mm than on my old 42mm!​

Renjo2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
AZ
Sorry about posting this here, but there isn't really a thread for color choice and this was the closest thing.

Has anyone had any experience with swapping out their watch for a different colored model in the store on pick up day?

I ordered a silver and am starting to wish I had gotten a space gray instead. Will they let me switch my color choice tomorrow? Or am I going to have to come back at a later date and do an exchange?
They will let you exchange it if the one that you want is stock or you can just exchange it later when it is in stock provided you are still within the return period.

Last edited:

Suxamethonium

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2014
Got my 44mm. The size for a mans wrist (at least a reasonably broad mans wrist) is pretty much perfect. (And the new watchfaces make much better use of all that realestate.

I was a little worried about the size when looking at it in the apple store app, but on my wrist with the real deal it is perfect.

Reactions: Tork and Renjo2007
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.